Sara Is Home!

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Guest Yankeegreyhound

My princess is finally home. She hit several bumps on her road to recovery but she came home last night.

I think I menetioned in my last update that she had swelling in the amputation area so they had to put a drain in. The didn't want to release her until they took the drain out so that added 5 days. Then, the culture they did on her skin (where the tumor had started to come through) came back with ecoli!!! They were treating her with several antibiotics already but, of course, not the one for ecoli. That one had to be administered through IV so, another 5 days. Total of 13 days in the doggie hosptial.

But, she's home and she's doing GREYT!!!! She's walking with no problem at all! A groomer had gone into the vet and saw Sara and didn't realize she was missing her back leg!

She is so skinny though. :-( She didn't eat the first week or so after her surgery. But, she's home now and we're fattening her up with plenty of burpdogs and her beloved pizza crust!

My 5 year old keeps asking when they are putting her leg back on. :( He also said that he'll be faster than her now and so I joked with him that he only has 2 legs so Sara still has one on him and will still be faster!!!

We're keeping our 18 month old twins away from her right now until she heels up some more. She was pretty much away from the twins anyway during the day before this. Her and Hailey (our other greyhound) would sleep upstairs all day. When the twins went to bed, the dogs and the cat would come down and hang out with us.

So, last night, we had a doggie bed all ready for Sar. She was on it for a while but the second she got up, Hailey jumped in her spot. I went upstairs to get her another one but she was eyeing the couch. I put an old comfortor over the couch and my husband helped her up and we snuggled there until I went to bed. In the morning I peeked in on her and she had moved to the chair! Then, after my shower I checked on her again and she was back on the couch!!! She's getting around so well!!!

So, all in all, while this was an extremely diffucult decision, it was the right one for us and for Sara. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers through all of this.

Guest MyCody

So glad to hear she is home and sad to hear about the complications, poor baby and poor you, so stressful for all concerned.

Gentle hugs and a big hug for you, a five year old and 18 month old twins, phew!!!!!! I need a nap now just typing that :)

So, all in all, while this was an extremely diffucult decision, it was the right one for us and for Sara. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers through all of this.

This is exactly what I said when I went thru this with Diamond.

But I'm glad she's back and feeling good. It's amazing how well they adjust. And that actually is what you have to be careful of. She may overdo something not realizing her limitations yet. My Diamond had a front leg amp and on the very day we came home decided to jump off the deck onto the patio passing up 6 steps.

So keep an eye on her for a while to make sure she realizes what she can and cannot do.

How wonderful that she's finally home & doing so well to boot! clap.gif Well done Sara! And humans! lol.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest greymama002

So happy that Sara is home and getting around so well already! Hope those special treats will soon have her weight back up too!

Wonderful news...hope she continues to do well.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Yea!! Go Sara go!! How is your DH handling her surgery/recovery?

I was wondering the same thing. Sounds like everyone is doing really well! Congrats!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest manawatugal

Sorry I don't know the background to your dog's story, except I realise she has had a leg amputated! glad she is doing well, they do seem to adjust very quickly and it reminded me of our family black labrador about 35 years ago when I was a kid who had one of his front legs amputated after an accident. The next day after the operation we went to see him and the vet who was going to keep him in for a couple of days said, "obviously you can see he is managing fine (he was hopping around and trying to ** his leg for a pee and very happy) so I think you may as well take him home now". He lived for another 8 years and could run really fast, steal things off neighbours' washing lines and bury stuff, even a washing basket (he wasn't fenced in and was intact so wandered around our village - very irresponsible I now realise of my parents) and a full size cricket bat amongst other things. He was such a lovely dog and I still think of him fondly now I have a black greyhound.

Guest fringepup

Way to go Sara! You beautiful, brave girl! I can't tell you how happy I was to read your update...I've been checking daily! She is one special girl and she is very lucky to have such a terrific family to take care of her. I am so glad she is home. I am sure she is much happier to be home too. Please give her a pizza crust and a huge kiss and hug from us. Take care!

That is greyt news!!! Welcome home Sara, you have gone through a battle but you will be better now and enjoying life.

Wow, ecoli??? Glad she is better now.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.