Update On Rainey -- Final Update Post 1

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chicken not good for a lot of reasons. Try beef. Didn't I read about pancreatitis? Those who have recurring bouts need to stay away from chicken. I am at work, trying to hurry and this is choppy but you get the drift :)

Sending more prayers.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest LindsaySF

the only thing that has done any control was the pheno, unfortunately. Rainey had her first seizure since 12/30 on Saturday :( :( :( wishing now I had left all the meds the same. We were decreasing because I think (and her neuro too) that she is just on too many meds and Lord knows what it's really doing to her brain -- emotionally and behaviorally. We are not going to increase the zoni's again since she has her MRI on Wednesday, and making that change back up will absolutely cause her to have more "weird" episodes, like in the past. And honestly, they are worse than the seizures :(

If she was seizure-free since 12/30, then the meds combo was doing well at seizure control, it's just the side effects that are the problem. Sophie has never been seizure-free that long, so that is great news for Rainey. :nod

With Sophie my biggest regret is relying so much on the Pheno and being reluctant to try other drugs. Visiting the neuro and adding the Zoni is the best thing we ever did. Zoni and Keppra can have side effects, but they are very rarely behavioral/personality side effects, and they don't affect the liver like Pheno does. Zoni and Keppra are probably helping keep the seizures at bay more than you realize. If Rainey were my dog, I would keep the Zoni and Keppra high, and try backing off the Pheno instead. I really think you will see a difference in Rainey's behavior. I would also try KBr, if that keeps the seizures at bay you might be able to stop the Pheno completely.

What types of weird episodes has she had? Maybe I can help. Sophie always went a bit nuts whenever we did a dosage increase. She did get better though, it just took time.

I have to work so she does have to go more than 4 hours :( and she gets cookies ALL day long, believe me. She is getting increasingly worse by the day. Yesterday was almost completely unbearable. We fed her at 1:30pm, she slept (after whining for 1/2 hour) until close to 4pm, then we took her and Nube for a long walk...came back home and she immediately started going nuts, so she got 1 cup of kibble at 4:55pm. Then she was out doing zoomies (she does not do that, she was like bouncing off the walls :() and I had hoped that would keep her quiet until their 6pm feeding -- nope. Came back in and screamed more so we fed another 1/2 cup kibble. Still no help. So I fed/medicated (LOT of food) at 5:45pm and she still kept screaming/barking so she got ANOTHER scoop of food. She still screamed until 6:54pm when she finally fell asleep. I don't care if she gets fat either but this is going beyond what a human can take :(

Can you give her a treat-filled bone or a Kong while you're at work? You might already do that, I don't know. That might take the edge off, allow her to chew and eat while you're gone. It should keep her busy and keep her mind off food.

I'm not surprised that she was especially bad yesterday if she just had a seizure on Saturday. Sophie is always more hungry (and more annoying :lol) after a seizure. Sometimes just for the few hours following a seizure, but sometimes for the next few days even, it really depends.

Sophie always wants food after she wakes up from a nap and after exercise, so you can try that too. You might even be able to head Rainey off, get some food into her before the whining and pacing even starts. I have also noticed that it takes Sophie a while to realize she is full. Even after being fed, she might cry and pace for another 20-30 minutes or so before her brain catches up to her stomach and "realizes" she's full, then she'll go to sleep.

When Sophie was at her worst, she was eating over 6 cups of Taste of the Wild, daily. That is an incredible amount of food, believe me. She didn't get too fat though, I don't know how. She gained about 4 pounds, but I was able to get that off her with green beans and other snacks. She still eats a lot of food every day, more than any of my other dogs, but her weight is stable.

If Rainey is eventually satisfied once she gets enough food, I would just feed her until she stops. It will look like an incredible amount of food, and you'll think there is no way she can still be hungry, but she is. If she's still crying/pacing after 30 minutes, she is still hungry. If she stops within 30 minutes or so, that was probably her realizing that she was full.

Have you tried something like bread? It's very filling in the stomach, I think it makes them feel more full than kibble would. That fiber supplement that Chad mentioned sounds promising also. I never tried that with Sophie.

I hope the MRI gives you some answers. :hope

~Lindsay~

the only thing that has done any control was the pheno, unfortunately. Rainey had her first seizure since 12/30 on Saturday :( :( :( wishing now I had left all the meds the same. We were decreasing because I think (and her neuro too) that she is just on too many meds and Lord knows what it's really doing to her brain -- emotionally and behaviorally. We are not going to increase the zoni's again since she has her MRI on Wednesday, and making that change back up will absolutely cause her to have more "weird" episodes, like in the past. And honestly, they are worse than the seizures :(

If she was seizure-free since 12/30, then the meds combo was doing well at seizure control, it's just the side effects that are the problem. Sophie has never been seizure-free that long, so that is great news for Rainey. :nod

With Sophie my biggest regret is relying so much on the Pheno and being reluctant to try other drugs. Visiting the neuro and adding the Zoni is the best thing we ever did. Zoni and Keppra can have side effects, but they are very rarely behavioral/personality side effects, and they don't affect the liver like Pheno does. Zoni and Keppra are probably helping keep the seizures at bay more than you realize. If Rainey were my dog, I would keep the Zoni and Keppra high, and try backing off the Pheno instead. I really think you will see a difference in Rainey's behavior. I would also try KBr, if that keeps the seizures at bay you might be able to stop the Pheno completely.

What types of weird episodes has she had? Maybe I can help. Sophie always went a bit nuts whenever we did a dosage increase. She did get better though, it just took time.

I have to work so she does have to go more than 4 hours :( and she gets cookies ALL day long, believe me. She is getting increasingly worse by the day. Yesterday was almost completely unbearable. We fed her at 1:30pm, she slept (after whining for 1/2 hour) until close to 4pm, then we took her and Nube for a long walk...came back home and she immediately started going nuts, so she got 1 cup of kibble at 4:55pm. Then she was out doing zoomies (she does not do that, she was like bouncing off the walls :() and I had hoped that would keep her quiet until their 6pm feeding -- nope. Came back in and screamed more so we fed another 1/2 cup kibble. Still no help. So I fed/medicated (LOT of food) at 5:45pm and she still kept screaming/barking so she got ANOTHER scoop of food. She still screamed until 6:54pm when she finally fell asleep. I don't care if she gets fat either but this is going beyond what a human can take :(

Can you give her a treat-filled bone or a Kong while you're at work? You might already do that, I don't know. That might take the edge off, allow her to chew and eat while you're gone. It should keep her busy and keep her mind off food.

I'm not surprised that she was especially bad yesterday if she just had a seizure on Saturday. Sophie is always more hungry (and more annoying :lol) after a seizure. Sometimes just for the few hours following a seizure, but sometimes for the next few days even, it really depends.

Sophie always wants food after she wakes up from a nap and after exercise, so you can try that too. You might even be able to head Rainey off, get some food into her before the whining and pacing even starts. I have also noticed that it takes Sophie a while to realize she is full. Even after being fed, she might cry and pace for another 20-30 minutes or so before her brain catches up to her stomach and "realizes" she's full, then she'll go to sleep.

When Sophie was at her worst, she was eating over 6 cups of Taste of the Wild, daily. That is an incredible amount of food, believe me. She didn't get too fat though, I don't know how. She gained about 4 pounds, but I was able to get that off her with green beans and other snacks. She still eats a lot of food every day, more than any of my other dogs, but her weight is stable.

If Rainey is eventually satisfied once she gets enough food, I would just feed her until she stops. It will look like an incredible amount of food, and you'll think there is no way she can still be hungry, but she is. If she's still crying/pacing after 30 minutes, she is still hungry. If she stops within 30 minutes or so, that was probably her realizing that she was full.

Have you tried something like bread? It's very filling in the stomach, I think it makes them feel more full than kibble would. That fiber supplement that Chad mentioned sounds promising also. I never tried that with Sophie.

I hope the MRI gives you some answers. :hope

~Lindsay~

she has been getting increasingly worse (more vocal, more whacky) since before the seizure on Saturday, generally been increasing in small amounts since we put her back on the pheno -- it's just worsened exponentially in the past 2 weeks, and more in the past 3 days.

she gets a very full kong when Bruce leaves for work, and I feed again at 1:15pm when I get home (and for her meds). She slept until about 3:20pm, then started barking etc so I gave her ANOTHER full feeding (3 overflowing 1/2 cups of kibble and about 1/2 cup of mixed veggies). it's 5pm now and she's still not full and is still whining/crying/barking. I cannot give her any more (plus she'll get the same at 6pm!). We are also in trouble because the more often she eats, the higher the chance she will seizure, since it's ALWAYS when eating. So if we were feeding 5-6 times a day and now have to 10 times we're doubling the risk. :(

How do you find the time to continually feed Sophie? My God, I'm supposed to be working and all I'm doing is feeding her or getting ready to scream from her vocalizations. :( :( :( You are a saint. I don't know how you do it.

You had asked about keeping her on the zoni and keppra and weaning off pheno, she was NOT in control when under just the 2 -- the ONLY thing that has shown any control is the pheno. We tried that back when she first started (weaned off the pheno and on the keppra/zoni), and the combo of the 2 did not work for her. And the vet is very hesitant to use Kbr because of the pancreatitus. I want this to get better but her having an attack of that won't help anything.

I don't even know what they're going to do at the vet's before the MRI -- we can only give her 1 TBS of food with here 5:15am meds and nothing after that. It will be REALLY bad until we drop her off at 7:30am, and they are NOT going to be happy with her while there.

ps. I didn't want to make the original post any longer -- but there's many other things that Rainey is (or no longer is) doing that shows drastic personality changes -- like she was a total stuffie NUT up until 3 months ago (we stopped for a bit since item in mouth could = seizure) and now, for the past 2 months, if I try to play stuffies with her she just looks at them like they are absolutely ALIEN. She has NO clue what they are or what to do -- and she used to play/squeak for hours. Another is ice cubes -- for you that know her, she is an ice cube HOUND. I couldn't open the freezer door or a cooler lid without her RUNNING from the basement to get an ice cube. Now, I try to give her one and she just looks at it like she has NO idea what it is and won't have anything to do with it. Just very bizarre and complelety different than she was just a few months ago.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I gave her another full cup of kibble and 1/2 cup of mixed veggies, and 3-4 tbs of pumpkin at 5:10pm. She is STILL horrible. I have a horrible headache (and I don't get many). I am at my breaking point.

guys, this is NOT normal, even for a crazed pheno dog. There has GOT to be something way worse wrong here. :cry1 :cry1 :( :( :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest jettcricket

Just catching up now and reading all the comments and suggestions. My heart goes out you....I wish I had answers.

I'm so sorry that you, Rainey and your family are going thru this. :(

Guest davidsl88

As everyone has noted, neuro issues are very difficult, if it's even that. I'm upset for you and your poor doggie that you haven't come to a solution here. The one thing that came to my mind while reading your descriptions and litany of meds is, are there any veterinary diagnosticans in your area? Sorry for being redundant if you've already covered that in your previous posts... This is all just so awful for you - I'm sorry for you both and hope the MRI will finally reveal what's going on.

My thoughts and my heart are with you, Kim and Bruce. Please tell your girl for me how beautiful she is.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you all. You didn't fail your girl by any stretch of the imagination.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm so sorry, Kim and Bruce. There are many of our loved ones up there to greet her. I'll be thinking of you and your precious Rainey.

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

I'm so sorry. You have done the best you could for Rainey. Since she cannot be cured, you are sending her to a more peaceful place.

Edited by Saharasmom

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

I'm so sorry for you and your husband. You did not even remotely fail your beautiful hound - on the contrary you gave all that anyone possibly could give to do right by her. We grieve with you.

Robin

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I am sorry to read of your pain and sorrow.

Take comfort in knowing that your sweet girl is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind.

You did all you could to help your girl. Now she rests with G-d.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I am so sorry to hear this final update on Rainey. You did not fail Rainey.....unfortunately it was out of your hands and Rainey knows you did everything possible to keep her here. There are so many to greet Rainey. She will be free of seizures and will be whole once more. But I am so sorry that you are going through this. I know your heart is breaking as I just went through this one month ago today. Godspeed sweet Rainey and may the wind always be at your back.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

My heart is breaking for you. Please know that you have not failed Rainey in any possible way. You have been amazing parents to her in every possible way. I feel blessed to have met you all and to have kissed her pretty nose at Bluegrass.

Run free, Rainey.

Guest IrskasMom

Through my Tears I once again have to type ,how sorry I am . Run free sweet Girl and give your Momma a Sign , she loved you so much .

:f_pink :f_pink :f_pink

Gentle hugs from all of us to you tonight.

You did absolutely everything you possible could for your girl.

Remember the good times...

Nancy

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg