Moose Won't Hold His Tail Up Any More

Guest Mom2Comet

Guest Mom2Comet

Moose is our happy boy (almost completely blind due to detached left retina a partially detached right retina) who will be 7 in July. He normally holds his tail curled up so you can see the cute white tip. DSC_0007.jpg (Pre Nup is next to him and her tail is curled so perfectly it looks short!)

About 10 days ago he started hold his tail straight down (not curled under.) We also noticed that he seems to struggle a bit when he sits or lays down although once he's down there's not an issue - still roaches, etc. He doesn't whimper or act like he's in pain necessarily. When he goes potty it does lift a bit but more horizontal than upright. He will wag it a bit back and forth if he's happy.

We went to the vet who wasn't sure and thought there was a chance it was swimmer's tail or perhaps he fell on the snow. Being blind he doesn't navigate well on the crunchy refrozen snow in the yard. We're on day 8 of the Prevacoxx (nsaid) but he only seems a little better and now is urinating much more including a few drops we noticed on his bed and blanket.

It could be some neuropathy or I suppose some horrid cancer but we're trying not to think of the worst. :(

Just wondering if anyone had thoughts or had seen something similar.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By chance did your Vet check his anal glands? When they are inflamed a dog will tuck tail or just act uncomfortable...not all dogs scoot to relieve the glands. Just a thought.

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Sounds like an x-ray of the lower lumbar region is in order--although the "test" for LS is simple, and any vet should know how to do it. It could be lots of things, but if it hasn't improved using NSAIDs, I'd be inclined to look a little further.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest KennelMom

We had a similar thing with Tater. It was SO weird! Her tail was just totally limp for no reason that we could discern. I wrote about it on my blog: http://worldofgrey.com/?p=1023 Only she had some accompanying pain. It resolved in about a week with rimadyl.

I'd probably do an xray if you haven't already.

Many prayers....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Similar thing happenned to my farm dog- a chow/husky/shepherd mix. His curly tail which was always carried proudly curled over his back would just hang limp. I found out it was probably "limp tail" and sure enough he got completely well in a few weeks. It happened again a year or so later and got well again on its own staright away. It hasn't happenned since then which has been several years ago now. Check out limp tail syndrome and see what you think.

That's how Cody's LS started - her tail was always down & when she did wag it, it was way down, not up. That progressed to knuckling under on her back legs. Hers was a bulgy disk - treated it with prednisone (for the rest of her life!) and acupuncture and those both did work for a long time!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest Mom2Comet

We're stopping the NSAIDs and starting a steroid on Friday. Vet wants to go conservative which I appreciate and we have easy access to Bill Feeman, DVM and Dr. Couto at Ohio State if we need it. I'm the Adoption Coordinator for Greyhound Adoption of Ohio so I'm thankful we have resources!

The incontinence is getting a bit worse -- Moose dribbled a few drops of urine on my foot this morning :( so we're in belly band mode. I'm thinking an x-ray may be coming soon so we can see if it's a disk or something else.

I'm not familiar with alternative vets so if you want to PM me I would love to learn more. We're the kind of people who will do ANYTHING for our greyhounds. I think we may have a wing at the eVET named after us eventually. Liver failure, stomach cancer, foreign body surgery....been through all those with only one surviving.

Thanks for all your ideas, thoughts and prayers. I tell our potential adopters all the time what a wonderful resource the greyhound community is!

Sounds like an x-ray of the lower lumbar region is in order--although the "test" for LS is simple, and any vet should know how to do it. It could be lots of things, but if it hasn't improved using NSAIDs, I'd be inclined to look a little further.

I'd agree. :nod It could be 'swimmer's tail' if he got cold, but it could also be a tail root injury or damage to the lumbar region. I doubt if anyone in your house would pull it (unless you have young children? :unsure) but he could have had it stepped on perhaps while he was trying to get up. This - unlike 'swimmers tail' (limber tail, whatever you want to call it) can result in incontinence.

An NSAID will not fix a problem, only mask it.

With respect, that's not completely true. If there's a fairly minor injury with a lot of local inflammation, an NSAID can reduce the swelling and allow the problem to resolve, because inflammation will often perpetuate an injury. They're particularly useful in minor strains and sprains, or where pain causes muscle cramps. DH has just had a course for plantar fasciitis and they do help. Of course, unless the cause of the injury is addressed, it stands a good chance of recurrence.

It's not going to cure LS or anything like that, though, that's for sure.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

The incontinence is getting a bit worse -- Moose dribbled a few drops of urine on my foot this morning :( so we're in belly band mode. I'm thinking an x-ray may be coming soon so we can see if it's a disk or something else.

When was his last blood work? I would want a good blood chem & CBC done at the next vet visit. I would not want to start the steroids without that. You've got incontinence & a possible neurological problem. If the incontinence started before the anti-inflammatory then it may be related to the problem with his tail & sitting. If it started after then it is possibly related to some other problem, either related or unrelated. I'd want the blood work to help narrow down the possibilities. If this is a neuropathy there are possible causes that may effect blood work.

Had a retriever who occasionally displayed cold water tail. It was very disturbing to see. The first inch or two of her tail at the base of the tail was held in a relatively normal position but the rest just dropped down. When she got excited & wagged, well tried to wag it that short section at the base would wag & the rest just flopped back & forth, limp & useless. It resolved in a couple days each time & at no point did she seem to be in pain. The first time it happened I rushed her to the vet fearing she had broken it.

Also had a dog with a polyneuropathy. Some types can cause the symptoms you have described but so can many other things including LS & inflammation from an injury, arthritis, etc. Reducing the inflammation can be of benefit. Just be sure you've checked that blood work first. Hope you find the cause of your boy's problem & a resolution quickly.

Has he had an x-ray and urinalysis? Those need to be done now, not later.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mom2Comet

We have an appointment with a neurologist tomorrow. He is fully incontinent now - can't really do anything other than dribble his pee out - I have to provide pressure to help him go. Hard to posture for pooping as well although he does poop at least once a day. Unfortunately he got diarrhea on Saturday so he's been suffering with that for 24 hours. Immodium helped but now he's sore.

His gait is unsteady, he doesn't obviously knuckle but does drag a paw every so often. I just realized that no bloodwork or urinalysis has been done at all. We'll have to ask about that tomorrow.

the worst part is that he's the sweetest, most agreeable boy in the world. He is still getting up when he thinks we're going on a walk, barks when we come home like normal and pops up when he hears us getting food. It's just very hard to watch.

Guest Mom2Comet

Moose is staying overnight at Metro in Akron and will have an MRI today. Possible slipped disc but neurologist wouldn't say for sure since he wants to see the MRI. I get it. he was very nice as were the techs - it's so hard to leave the kids behind. I didn't go but my husband says that being handed his collar, leash and belly band was very difficult for him.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. As long as it's something we can fix I don't care about the $$.

Fingers crossed for the best outcome for your sweet boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh, no! I'm so sorry to hear this.

Thinking of you all...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)