Harley

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Guest HappyHarleysMom

With the saddest of resolutions to Harley's battle with IBD and pancreatitis, Harley went to the Rainbow Bridge just hours ago on Monday evening, January 31, 2011. At a little after 8pm, we looked into Harley's eyes for the last time and told him how much mommy loved Harley, and daddy loved Harley. I told him to find Wag at the Bridge, that he will feel better, be running around, playing, and I told him to wait for mommy and daddy, wait for us.

Har fought with all he had, but in the end, was just too sick and weak. When he didn't eat on Saturday, we thought it was the tramadol making him want to sleep all day. He rallied a little on Sunday, but it was a struggle getting him to eat, and he still slept all day and night. The sparks of "old" Harley weren't there, except for a little tail wag as he watched the neighbor's dogs as they barked at Harley.

Then Sunday night, he slipped on the 2 steps coming into the kitchen and I had to help him inside. He scraped his stomach on the step when he slipped. His legs were getting weaker. I helped him inside, and he walked directly to his mattress, where he slept for about 4 hours. When he awoke, he seemed ok, was alert and hungry, which gave me hope again. But, it was short lived.

Monday morning, I had to take my mom for a surgical procedure, so Chuck took care of Harley when he got off from work. Harley ate very well for Chuck, and seemed ok--not real perky but not down and out like the weekend. Mom and I came back around 11am, and I figured we could grab a nap for a few hours and afterward I'd get Harley's next meal.

Well, Harley would not eat for me except a few pieces of z/d kibble. Later in the afternoon, he struggled as he tried to rise from his mattress to go outside. He hurt is front leg or shoulder getting up, causing him to limp, then just stand in place, not wanting to take another step. We helped him back on the mattress. As he lay there stretched out on his side, I watched him try sitting up, but cry out doing so. He tried sitting up a few times, cried each time, and then gave up trying. I gave him a whole tramadol, hoping to ease his pain. He lay there, looking as miserable as he felt. And, I knew deep down it was time.

And, my head was in a daze of surreal resignation as I called Dr. Wade, while I wondered how we were going to get Harley there. I walk with a cane, and wouldn't be able to help Chuck carry Harley to the car. He was in pain and I didn't want to move him. I called my friend Shelley, who came over with a friend to carry Harley, mattress and all, into mom's van.

So, we all piled in the van, Shelley and her friend Tim, me, Chuck and my mom, and drove to Shiloh Vet Hosp where Dr. Wade and some staff were waiting after hours. Harley, covered with a blanket, lay awake for the whole ride. I had squeezed in the back of the van with him, while Chuck leaned over the second seat, watching him. Our last ride. I knew Harley felt bad because he made no attempt to sit up--car rides are a big thing to Harley.

Dr. Wade checked Harley, and agreed it was time. Harley's breathing and sounds in his lungs indicated pneumonia was probably starting to develop, and he was dehydrated again. He clearly lost more weight so he was less than last week's 59 pounds. He was too sick and too tired to fight anymore. After all the ups and downs since his first sign of illness on January 1st, this was the last down.

I'm at a loss for words to describe the awful devastation I feel, which I know you all understand having most likely been there yourselves. I feel horribly empty and each breath I take is heavy. The not wanting to leave his body once he was gone. Wanting my voice to be the last voice Harley heard, my face the last he saw. My baby. My whole world, Harley, who then became our whole world, once Harley had Chuck's heart. Which took no time at all before Chuck was referring to Harley as "our son."

I am also at a loss for words to thank everyone properly, for being with me through this horrible nightmare. I am forever in your debt for the prayers and white lights for Harley, and for the advice, shoulders for me to cry on, and your patience with my long posts that you've all provided to me so selflessly. Saying I am grateful to you all doesn't begin to describe how I feel. I've never known such kindness from people whom I have never met, yet have been there for me in a heartbeat, all due to the love we have for these uniquely special hounds.

Harley was a happy go lucky greyhound. He took great joy in life, and he never met a person, dog, or cat he didn't like. The more attention, the better. He would have opened the door for an intruder, and ask him if he had any treats. I'm a tax collector, and I was proud to have the most popular dog in the borough, as people chose to pay their taxes in person at our home rather than mail them, just to see Harley. It will be very difficult in the weeks ahead as the new tax season starts, as I will be answering many times over to the question, "where's Harley?" No doubt my tears will flow as I explain his absence, as his happy greeting of people at my door will be sorely missed. My official "leaner" won't be there to charm the local residents.

We are so proud of Harley. He was a certified therapy dog before my accident in 2008, and put smiles on many nursing home residents in our area. Sensitive and patient, Harley was a natural at his job, and the source of many a conversation.

But, Harley had his goofy side, in fact was advertised at WAG, Inc., as a big goofy boy. And, they sure were right about that! Chuck and I never got tired of watching Harley get so excited from pooping. The act of a simple bowel movement sent Harley into 180 degree spins as if he were freed from the heaviest of burdens. Four or five in a row, no break in between, Harley would jump for joy at his lighter self, then suddenly stop and look to the kitchen door, making sure we're there watching.

And, we of course, would encourage his silly behavior. We knew when Harley was gearing up for a silly puppy run around the yard. He'd freeze in place as if contemplating his next move; then with a little jump, he'd wrench his head around as if trying to bite both butt cheeks, and take off running on his imaginary race-yard track. Stopping near the house to look up at us for approval, we'd yell "woof" and off he'd go again, running and spinning, then stopping to look at us, and off he'd go again and again. I loved that he always made sure we were watching what he was doing. Silly boy.

Our cats are quiet tonight. They lay on Harley's pillow, or beside his empty mattress. I laid on his mattress when I got back home from the vet's and all 3 cats came over and sat next to me. They know. Pirate, my one eyed wonder, lived with Wag, my first grey, and then Harley. He is very quiet tonight. They are not their normally clingy, lap cat selves tonight. Just quiet.

Harley, we love you, and we will miss you every day. You were a kind and gentle soul, with the happiest puppy like nature, and you touched so many lives. I pray there is a Heaven and I will see you again. I have you to thank most of all, Harley, for giving me so much love and joy. I miss you so badly, and I don't know how I'll live without you. The house is so quiet now without you.

Sleepin%27%202005.jpg

with cousin Jasmine, who passed away last month at aged 6

Playin%20wiff%20my%20cousin%20Jasmine%202005.jpg

Handsome%20Summer%20Boy%202005.jpg

you%20woke%20me%20up.jpg

Goodbye for now, Hoo Hoo. Wait for us.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry. My heart goes out to you.

Godspeed, gallant boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Words completely fail me. My heart dropped when I saw his name in remembrance this morning. I sit here with tears streaming down my face. I was so pulling for him, and for you not to lose him.

All I can do is send hugs to you.

We are here for you, and many will feel this loss today. Harley was a special, special boy.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Guest PhillyPups

Oh sherry and Chuck,

You all fought so very hard. There are no words. I wish there were. Just :bighug

Run with the angels Handsome Harley - you are with the very very best ~

Guest BleuDog

Harley, Spirit Hound, RUN FREE!!!! You have Been Loved, and will always be LOVED....and now you will be a Guardian Angel to your Family....

For those left on Earth.....look-up into the Night Sky, and KNOW Harley is zooming through the Heavens......a shinny, sparkling light, watching down on HIS FAMILY.....

Words are inadequate, all I can do is send you hugs to wrap tightly around yourselves. Fighting is hard, and fighting and losing are the worst. But we have to fight. To try. And you tried with everything you had. I am so, so sorry for your loss. Try now to remember Harley before he got sick, when he smiled and spun and looked for you at the door. You will cry, but you will also smile and that is the beginning of healing. :grouphug

Godspeed Harley, you awesome dog. :gh_run

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

My heart broke into many pieces when I saw Harley's name. I'm so very sorry flowers_red.gif

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I am so very, very sorry. I was following and hoping for a better outcome. My heart breaks with yours. It is so obvious how much he was loved and how much he loved in return.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I am so sorry for your loss

The Spirit Of A Greyhound

I was standing on a hillside in a field of blowing wheat,

and the spirit of a Greyhound was lying at my feet.

He looked at me with kind dark eyes, ancient wisdom shining through.

in the essence of his being, I saw the love there too.

His mind did lock upon my heart as I stood there on that day,

and he told me of this story about a place so far away.

As I stood upon that hillside in a field of blowing wheat,

in a twinkling of a second his spirit left my feet.

His tale did put my heart at ease, all my fears did fade away

about what lay ahead of me on another distant day.

"I live among God's creatures now in the heavens of your mind,

so do not grieve for me, my friend as I am with my kind.

My collar is a rainbow's hue, my leash a shooting star.

my boundaries are the Milky Way where I sparkle from afar.

There are no pens or kennels here for I am not confined,

but I'm free to roam God's heavens among the Greyhound kind.

I nap the day on a snowy cloud gentle breezes rocking me,

and dream the dreams of earthlings, and how it used to be.

The trees are full of liver treats, and tennis balls abound,

and milk bones line the walkways just waiting to be found.

There even is a ring set up, the grass all lush and green;

and everyone who gaits around becomes the Best of Breed.

For we're all winners in this place; we have no faults, you see.

and God passes out those ribbons to each one, even me.

I drink from waters laced with gold, my world a beauty to behold;

and wise old dogs do form my pride to amble at my very side.

At night I sleep in angel's arms, her wings protecting me,

and moonbeams dance about us as stardust falls on thee.

So when your life on earth is spent and you stand at Heaven's gate,

have no fear of loneliness-- for here, you know, I wait."

-Author Unknown

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Guest vahoundlover

My heart sank when I saw Harley's name here. I don't post much anymore but I had been sending prayers he would pull thru. I am so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed Sweetheart :f_red

Guest racergirl435

My heart goes out to you. It's not easy watching a beloved pet die. Keep your precious memories and Harley will live forever. Run free handsome boy.

I saw his name and started to cry. I'm so very sorry. You all fought a hard battle and did the best you could for your sweet boy. Godspeed Harley. You fought a good fight.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I am so very sorry :cry1 :cry1 :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

My heart dropped when I saw Harley's name here. You all fought such a hard fight.

Godspeed Harley.

Wanda, with the DC Racing Kids,

Eric ( DNT Finbarclancy )  6/29/14    Maggie ( DNT Oh Maggie ) 6/29/14

Lorraine ( DC Don't Rainonme ) 3/15/08 - 4/9/20 ---  Suzie ( DC Lazy Susan ) 3/12/06 - 9/4/18 --- Stormy ( DC Major Storm ) 11/29/99 - 1/21/12 ---- Andy ( Andy's Alibi ) 1/23/99 - 12/30/11