Letting Sleeping Dogs Lie In Your Bed Can Kill You

winnie

Well... at least according to this article:

Letting Sleeping Dogs Lie in Your Bed Can Kill You

I think I'll take my chances. I love snuggling with my dogs and cats.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

I sleep with 2-3 greyts in bed with me and 4- 5 more around my bed. We also kiss a lot! In fact Minny was the "Best Kisser" at the Festival of the Bluegrass last year. My dogs are cleaner and healthier than most peoples children. I do not have and would not sleep with a cat however as zoonotic issues are significantly more a threat with felines from what I have learned.

Guest Houndstown

I think I'll take my chances. I love snuggling with my dogs and cats.

I guess I'm in trouble b/c the black girls are not going to move. :lol

I second that! Pre and Tera are in for the long haul!!

It's dangerous to drive a car, handle household cleaners, anything electric-powered, eat or drink the wrong things or too much or too little.... I think I'm not going to worry about this one. As with other things use common sense (which isn't "common" enough) - if your immunity is compromised, take precautions. If your dog ate something off the sidewalk, don't let her lick your face or open sores (eww & ouch) for a few hours. If your cat is sick, don't let him lick your face. :rolleyes:

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys
The authors, both experts in zoonoses, which are diseases or infections transmitted from animals to humans, reported that "the risk for transmission of zoonotic agents by close contact between pets and their owners through bed sharing, kissing or licking is real and has even been documented for life-threatening infections such as plague, internal parasites" and other serious diseases.

You mean I have to stop licking my dogs?? I'm in trouble :lol:gmark

Oh MY! If I didn't have Bell Walker's butt in my face at nite, or Bugsy throwing a leg or paw on my legs, I'd never get to sleep.... :lol :lol :lol

So, they can stay.

Pat G

Son of a..! You mean I should stop letting my animals lick my open sores?! :angryfire

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

People who get paid to write stuff like that may one day wake up catching something from here :evil

http://www.pinstruck.com/whatispinstruck.htm

I'm OK with my present dog because she doesn't - but even if she did I'd be OK 'cos Black dogs is lucky! Previous one did all the time and got the pillows, the ones before that were ambivalent about human beds and I'm still here after all those years.

It's just commonsense not to let them on the bed with fleas, unwormed or let them open up wounds like leeches or nasty maggots.

Eating bacon, Hagen Daas and deep fried foods will kill you too!

Anybody see anything wrong with this sentence from the article:

Yes, the study says, most are small dogs, but 41 percent are medium-sized, and one out of three are large

Hmmmm, 1 out of 3 means 33% (thats for large). (41% is for medium) 33% plus 41% = 74%. 100% - 74% = 26%. The study said most are small dogs but according to the math, small dogs equals only 26%. which is the smallest amount. Do I need to put my glasses on or is my math correct?

Edited by MP_the4pack

Guest Bang_o_rama

I have also heard lately that we are in dire danger from giant storms, mega-tsunamis, the huge caldera under Yellowstone, killer asteroids, killer comets, killer bees, killer bacteria and Killer Kane.

Excuse me while I go put the Kleenex boxes on my feet; it takes a while with these foot-long nails.

~D~

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Well, my dogs have been kissing me on the mouth and sharing my bed since I was a little kid. My dogs kiss my baby too. My son is the only almost two year old kid I've ever even heard of so far who has never even had a cold or a stuffy nose or anything, ever.

However, I do deworm my dogs monthly... and we deworm ourselves periodically too, just in case :lol

Melodramatic much? I particularly liked the part about the people who died because the dog licked a wound--um, and you know they wouldn't have contracted an infection anyway how?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I'll take the lowered blood-pressure, stomach de-stressor, and all around relaxation over the risk of flea borne disease anyday!!! :lol Not to mention the sheer joy they bring....

After my Jack died, I could not sleep in my bed because he wasn't there. When I got my two new boys and Dustin turned out to be a bed-hog, I was THRILLED. I sleep so much better with a dog.....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Trying to keep my guys out of my bed...now that might kill me.

5370929178_4bd994fc10.jpg

(I get the blue part to sleep on...)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

(I get the blue part to sleep on...)

:lol

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

:rolleyes: Anything to get an article published and create a scare.

Right now, I can look over at my bed and see that DH and Enzo have left me a 3'x3' space to sleep on tonight. :lol I love it, and I'd never give it up. Just like how I won't give up driving a car, flying, going in public, etc... (and I'd MUCH rather cuddle with my boys than do anything else!).

Guest d0ggiem0mma

Good thing I don't let my dogs get flea infested, wormy, and diseased!!! My kids are cleaner than a lot of humans.

Taking my chances:

1114002007a.jpg

So is my hubby:

bedtime.jpg

And I think this stink eye from Zipp might kill my hubby before the plague...

daddykisszipp.jpg

I am in BIG trouble because I have been sick without them and I think I could have been worse if it was not for them, my dogs are kept cleaner than a lot of humans. Including dental hygiene. We have also shared lip balm, drinks, ice cream, etc. Seems like I have never got anything from them it was me having diabetes and asthma and etc. If this were true I would have been dead a long time ago. We will have to disagree with this theory. :angryfire

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter