Robin Is Home From The Hospital!

Well, just when things were starting to look up pemphigus-wise, and skin-wise, we had a setback.

Night before last I heard Robin stirring in his bed around 2:00am. I got up, assuming he needed to go out and pee. As he got up, he cried, and could not bear weight on his front rt leg.

It looked a bit swollen. Later that morning, he was still not bearing weight on that leg and he was hopping around, but he had a good appetite, etc. My husband calls me in the afternoon and tells me Robin's leg is way more swollen. So, off we went to the vet yesterday afternoon.

My vet looks at it and says it's possibly a septic joint, due to the fact that he has zero immune system right now because of the huge daily doses of prednisone he's taking.

So today Robin went back to the UF Vet School. First thing they did is xray his leg to see if it was a soft tissue type injury or if there was a tumor or cancer of any kind. Thank God no cancer seen. So their diagnosis was cellulitis. Cellulitis vs. an abscess because in cellulitis the swelling is soft and spongy, which is what his is, vs. an abscess which they said would be harder to the touch. They aspirated a bit of fluid to culture.

They took him off prednisone completely cold turkey. Now he is on clavamox and baytril, at least until monday when the culture results come back and they see if they need to change the type of antibiotic depending on what the culture shows.

The vet that saw him is the supreme head honcho of the internal medicine dept. He told me that in some pemphigus cases, they just need to get off the pred immediately, even if it means risking skin symptoms to return, so that his immune system is not so compromised.

So tomorrow he goes back to the vet school for a recheck. They marked his leg with a sharpie so I can easily tell where the swelling ended and can glance at it and see if it's moved further up the leg.

He came home and scarfed down 1/2 can of I/D plus a grilled chicken breast and 2 pieces of bread (they told me I can go heavy handed on the treats and goodies since he's lost so much weight, and Robin loves bread) and now he's resting comfortably. Tramadol is a wonderful thing.

I feel so horrible for my poor baby. When they told me they had to xray to rule out cancer today, I totally lost it.

Here he is right now, happy to be back home.

arlington135.jpg

And here's his swollen rt front leg:

arlington136.jpg

Edited by fsugrad

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez, hon, you've really been through some doggie drama. (We have too the last few days, so I'm viscerally sympathetic toward you and everyone else!) I'm very glad Robin has a greyt honcho doc and is back home with his mom, Tramadol and a comfy bed! He looks great in the picture. :)

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Hope eliminating the pred does the trick. Sweet Robin is in my thoughts and prayers.

He looks so very pleased with himself in his pic! What a wonderful smile!!

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Poor, poor Robin! Fingers and paws crossed for a quick improvement!

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

holy cow! that poor dog can't catch a break, can he? we are thinking about you guys. please give robin a hug from us.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Well doggone!

He looks GREAT in the pictures! Especially his expression- it looks strong and well even if if his body isn't cooperating right now. You have taken such wonderful care of him. It is remarkable how you have him looking so good with all he's been through. Must be a lot of love going on at your house! This whole thing has been remarkable. It sounds almost miraculous to me that you were even able to get him diagnosed- but your love and determination is what done it. You found probably the only place in the whole world that was able to figure him out in time to get him on the road to recovery as quick as he did. So I'm thinking why shouldn't his RECOVERY be remarkable too? Robin just seems to do everything in a remarkable way. I'd be calling him Remarkable Robin. But the thing is that he moving forward all the time. I can't wait for him to get remarkably healthy again. Praying for your wonderful remarkable beautiful boy! And five stars for the UF Vet School and the super wizard "head honcho." What a wonderful resourse to have available. They seem to be remarkable too!

Crossing our fingers this is only a small setback and he will be on the road to recovery again!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Robin was admitted to the ICU at the UF Vet School about an hour ago. He will be there at least 1 or 2 days, depending on how he responds.

His leg swelled up even more overnight, and the doctors felt that he's better off being given IV antibiotics 24/7 than me administering antibiotic tablets at home.

He was still his happy self when I took him in today, and he ate a good breakfast this morning, but there is no denying that his leg had worsened and he needed more care than just pills at home.

:weep :weep :weep

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest Adrianne

Oh, I am soooo sorry to hear this. I've been so wrapped up in my own crisis that I totally missed this.

Think positive. I'll be sending that sweetie lots of positive thoughts and prayers.

Oh No! I was hoping he would be better this morning. I'm keeping him in my prayers and a huge hug to you.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

I LIKE the idea of the IV antibiotics for Robin! We humans and our doggies respond much more quickly to anything IV.

I know you hate to leave Robin, but, I think this is a good move in the right direction for him.

Sending him and the love, hugs and prayers we can from the cool, colorful, North Georgia Mountains!

Guest Energy11

Sending lots of good thoughts and prayers for Robin. IV delivers the meds faster and in higher concentration. Focus on that.

EXACTLY! It is actually a very good move for him!