Tuna

Sorcha

Tuna (formerly known as "Zealya")

November 20, 1995 - August 13, 2010

TunaApril2005.jpg

It started in the summer of 1998. During a trip to the animal hospital with my English setter, I saw a poster on the bulletin board about a greyhound “rescue” group (not my choice of words).A few weeks later I was on my way to pick up a 2 and ½ year old greyhound, sight unseen. She went by the name of Tuna and had flunked out of racing school. Driving home (alone) I remember thinking “What have I gotten myself into?!”. I was going through a difficult time in my life, and Tuna helped me through it. Together we learned a lot about one another, and figured it all out.

Tuna1998.jpg

During the next 3 years I moved four times and even with the addition of a saluki sister and a kitten during those years, Tuna never had a problem adjusting to changes. Her reward for the final move was a large, fenced yard with her very own sandbox. She loved being in that sandbox.

fbae5062.jpg

Tunasandboxdig.jpg

Over the next few years greyhound fosters came and went, an Italian greyhound moved in, her saluki sister lost a brave battle with cancer, and a borzoi-saluki puppy arrived. She always handled the changes with ease but let each new arrival know she was queen.

f93308d6.jpg

gettysburg2005.jpg

Eventually time caught up with her and hind-end weakness made it a challenge to get around like she used to. A ramp was put up to help her get in and out of the house. The prance in her step began to disappear, the sparkle in her eyes dimmed. Symptoms attributed to laryngeal paralysis eventually led her to not being able to eat her dog food without choking it up, so I became creative with her meals and everything went into the blender to make it easier for her to swallow, and baby food became a new favorite food. Home cooked meals became the norm, and much to her delight, canned dog food and a whole array of “human foods” were offered to her. Despite my best efforts, between LP and not being able to stand up long enough to finish a meal she started losing weight. She eventually gave in and took to eating while lying down, but was still not eating enough to maintain a good weight. I started giving her store-brand Ensure to get calories in her, she loved that (and it was the last thing she had).

Oct09021.jpg

I struggled for many months with “the decision”. I realized that her quality of life had declined, but she was not in pain. I was waiting for that “sign” that everyone, including the vet, told me she would give me.

On August 13, 2010 at 8:24 p.m., Tuna was given her angel wings.

One of the things I told Tuna in our final moments together was to look for Ailish, that she would be waiting to show her the way and they would be together again.

12929264.jpg

Rest in peace my beloved Tuna, I will love you forever and cherish your memory.

TunaSleeping.jpg

Tunaonbigbed.jpg

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest how888

What beautiful memories you have.. Hold them close to your heart to get you through this.. I am so sorry.. Those eyes go right through you.. They look just like my Bullet... Tuna, you were so loved and please send mom a sign from Somewhere Over The Rainbow real soon.. Nike will show you around til we get there..

I can't even began to tell you how my heart breaks for you. Those pictures tell the story and the bond you two had together.. I am so glad she flunked out of racing school ..You two shared a beautiful journey together and that bond will never be broken.. :grouphug:f_red:f_red:f_red

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 What a beautiful tribute to a very special and gorgeous girl.

Godspeed Tuna.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I remember when you were building Tuna's sandbox and I remember thinking that every greyhound should be so lucky. I'm so very sorry for the loss of your precious Tuna :grouphug:f_white

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Thank you for sharing her with us ... how extraordinary was the life and the bond you two had; that was a most excellent remembrance. My heartfelt sympathy and white light for your healing-- even when it absolutely is the time -- it is still so very difficult. Bless

Beautiful tribute. We are very sorry for your loss.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Beautiful Tribute, you can see she was a very Special Girl! I am so very Sorry!:grouphug

:f_red:gh_run Run Free Tuna! :f_red

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

I'm so sorry...I think that you were extremely brave through her final hours. Really. You held your composure and did what was best for Tuna. She was very lucky to have you, and you were so lucky to have her for so many years.

God speed Tuna.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)