Isis May Have Had A Stroke

Guest Energy11

Curfew had an "episode" two years ago Sept. He was out with the others, came in, started whimpering, and slumped into the corner. He was panting and drooling, and his chest area was quivering. He eventually went unconsious, enroute to the vet. The vet he saw, thought it was a stroke, and gave a Steroid, and kept him overnight for observation. When he was released the next morning, he had a lot of difficulty walking, but it slowly recovered.

The vet here, diagnosed him with high blood pressure, which obviously may have caused the probable stroke. He is on meds for that now, and takes a Valium nightly for his personality changes (*he is hyper at night, and cries a lot). We've had two small "incidents" this year, and they were treated with rectal Valium, per the vet, and I gave an 81 mg baby asiprin in case of a clot. He is also on 1/2 81 mg. aspirin daily per Dr. Couto.

I have no idea WHAT he has, but we take it day by day. I think your baby's "episode" does sound like a stroke. These can be controlled.

Sending lots of love, hugs and good luck!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest barkdogs

True strokes are pretty rare in dogs--she may have "idiopathic vestibular syndrome" which has a sudden onset in older dogs. It usually lasts about 2--3 weeks and then mysteriously disappears. Whatever it is, best wishes to you and Isis.

I'm so sorry Beth. I have no advice because Andy's stroke left him completely paralyzed from the neck down and we had no options open to us. I've got Isis in my prayers and hoping for good news this afternoon.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Adding prayers here for Isis :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Sending lots of prayers for Isis and you.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Any mushrooms or other toxins in your yard?

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Any mushrooms or other toxins in your yard?

No mushrooms. The yard was sprayed about two weeks ago. It was an all organic spray for ticks and ants.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Beth, I am so sorry to hear this about Isis :(

Our Alan suffered a FCE and was totally paralyzed in his rear legs. FCE is when a piece of cartilage gets lodged in the spine and blocks the flow of blood to one or more limbs. Depending on where the cartilage gets lodged determines where the damage occurs. It is kinda of stroke like but needs to be treated differently than an actual stroke because it is not a blood clot.

FCE needs to be treated with high doses of steroids within 24 hours. Our emergency Vet recognized right away that it was a possible FCE and immediately treated him with steroids for 24 hours. All of the damage will occur within the first 24 hours. The only way FCE can be diagnosed for sure is by doing a MRI of the spine.

Stroke, on the other hand, should NOT be treated with steroids!! Because a stroke is a blood clot, steroids can increase the clotting factor, therefore, causing the stroke to become worse. Dr. Couto recommends treating with baby aspirin.

Dr. Couto says all greyhound owners should keep baby aspirin in their medicine cabinet!

Don't hesitate to pm me with any questions!

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

Guest PhillyPups

Many :hope for you and Isis.

This happened so suddenly with The Queen and at her age there was no choice to be made. :bighug to you and Isis :hope

True strokes are pretty rare in dogs--she may have "idiopathic vestibular syndrome" which has a sudden onset in older dogs. It usually lasts about 2--3 weeks and then mysteriously disappears. Whatever it is, best wishes to you and Isis.

Unfortunately, strokes are common in greyhounds....

Ohio State Greyhound Health and Wellness program article on strokes

Suzie Collins

Beth, I am so sorry to hear this about Isis :(

Our Alan suffered a FCE and was totally paralyzed in his rear legs. FCE is when a piece of cartilage gets lodged in the spine and blocks the flow of blood to one or more limbs. Depending on where the cartilage gets lodged determines where the damage occurs. It is kinda of stroke like but needs to be treated differently than an actual stroke because it is not a blood clot.

FCE needs to be treated with high doses of steroids within 24 hours. Our emergency Vet recognized right away that it was a possible FCE and immediately treated him with steroids for 24 hours. All of the damage will occur within the first 24 hours. The only way FCE can be diagnosed for sure is by doing a MRI of the spine.

Stroke, on the other hand, should NOT be treated with steroids!! Because a stroke is a blood clot, steroids can increase the clotting factor, therefore, causing the stroke to become worse. Dr. Couto recommends treating with baby aspirin.

Dr. Couto says all greyhound owners should keep baby aspirin in their medicine cabinet!

Don't hesitate to pm me with any questions!

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

Thank you!

This is where I am really concerned and worried. The vet yesterday mentioned both a stroke or FCE. He leaned much more towards stroke because of the body movements however he also thought FCE because her eyes still tracked and didn't have the twitching that you usually see in a stroke. :dunno He gave her a steroid shot and then when I got home the ER vet I talked to said it wouldn't hurt to give her a baby aspirin. So now I don't know if I've done more damage than good. I hope the neurologist can shed some light.

I have Dr. Couto's number and will also have the neurologist call.

This morning she still couldn't walk and her back leg buckled under her, but just right now I looked up and she walked into the kitchen and got a drink of water blink.gif She was slow and pulled up her right back leg with long strides but it was nothing like it was yesterday or this morning. So now I don't know what to think. The Neurologist is taking an MRI and we are scheduled for 2pm.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

You are so right! I have read here on occasion that vets have said they were not common and often wonder where they get that idea!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Just seeing this, Beth. sad.gif No advice, just tons of healing thoughts for Miss Isis, and strength for you. wub.gifbighug.gif

edited b/c I am multi-tasking at the office, sigh...

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Energy11

My vet here is still resistant to this idea, even after this data, and SHE has been practicing upwards of 25 years. It is hard when these vets aren't greyhound savvy, and unwilling to accept the info. we give them. I am trying to find a greyhound savvy vet in this area, even it if is a drive. Yes, greyhounds can and do get strokes.

My vet here is still resistant to this idea, even after this data, and SHE has been practicing upwards of 25 years. It is hard when these vets aren't greyhound savvy, and unwilling to accept the info. we give them. I am trying to find a greyhound savvy vet in this area, even it if is a drive. Yes, greyhounds can and do get strokes.

This is exactly why Dr. Couto is trying so hard to help Vets that are not greyhound savvy understand that greyhounds are NOT like any other dog!!! Dr. Couto has all of the facts and studies to back up what he says. Why are Vets reluctant to accept the fact that greyhounds ARE DIFFERENT??? Are they really all that arrogant?

Suzie Collins

This is exactly why Dr. Couto is trying so hard to help Vets that are not greyhound savvy understand that greyhounds are NOT like any other dog!!! Dr. Couto has all of the facts and studies to back up what he says. Why are Vets reluctant to accept the fact that greyhounds ARE DIFFERENT??? Are they really all that arrogant?

It's the inexperience with the breed

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless