Isis May Have Had A Stroke

I'm not sure how steroids would act on a blood clot, but aspirin would have no effect on cartiledge. Giving aspirin in case it was a blood clot stroke instead of FCE would not cause further harm either way. Aspirin interfers with the blood clotting mechanism.

Also per Dr. Couto, greyhounds are also prone to idiopathic hypertension (high BP for no reason).

So, if Isis recovers, get her BP checked.

However, if it's a stroke caused by a hypertensive clot, steroids are bad. They increase blood pressure.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One problem with giving aspirin would be, if it was a steroid-responsive illness instead of a stroke, you'd then run a higher risk of stomach ulceration/perforation etc. since aspirin is a NSAID. With an otherwise healthy dog, it's probably worth the risk when you aren't sure. With a NOT otherwise healthy dog, I honestly don't know.

It's good you're getting an MRI. Hoping for the very best news from that.

Sad and ugly but FWIW, FCE, strokes, and vestibular aren't the only things that cause sudden mobility impairment. Zema's similar symptoms (at onset, at least) were caused by a tumor.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest kydie

OMG,, :o healing white light from western Pa,,,, :candle please keep us posted!,,, :cry1 I disagree with strokes being uncommon in dogs,,,, had a setter that had one at age 7,,, long recovery,, but she DID recover,, she walked a little doppy,,,, but who cares,,,,, I would have given the A.S.A. too, :nod as a matter of fact I did give it as soon as she looked to me as if she had a stroke,,, right then and there :goodluck

Guest greytbookert

Sending many prayers for you and Isis! You've gotten a lot of good information here. My experience is pretty limited but our Sahra had what was thought to be a massive stroke last fall. Similar symptoms, except her eyes were not tracking at all. It was as if she wasn't in there anymore. I'm hoping what ever caused Isis' symptoms can be resolved quickly!

Guest Energy11

True strokes are pretty rare in dogs--she may have "idiopathic vestibular syndrome" which has a sudden onset in older dogs. It usually lasts about 2--3 weeks and then mysteriously disappears. Whatever it is, best wishes to you and Isis.

Unfortunately, strokes are common in greyhounds....

Ohio State Greyhound Health and Wellness program article on strokes

My vet here is still resistant to this idea, even after this data, and SHE has been practicing upwards of 25 years. It is hard when these vets aren't greyhound savvy, and unwilling to accept the info. we give them. I am trying to find a greyhound savvy vet in this area, even it if is a drive. Yes, greyhounds can and do get strokes.

This is exactly why Dr. Couto is trying so hard to help Vets that are not greyhound savvy understand that greyhounds are NOT like any other dog!!! Dr. Couto has all of the facts and studies to back up what he says. Why are Vets reluctant to accept the fact that greyhounds ARE DIFFERENT??? Are they really all that arrogant?

It's the inexperience with the breed

Yes, it is that. She's been practicing about 25 years, and I think mine are the first GH's she's seen. She listens to me, but, I am not totally confident with her. I found a GH savvy vet about 30-45 minutes away, and will be seeing her soon, as Curfew needs a blood draw and check up, and Oakly, a check up and blood draw. If I need any kind of surgeries, God forbid, I want it to be with a GH savvy vet!

With vets who are older like mine, and not GH savvy, you also have to be soooo careful not to intentionally "step on their toes," as well.

Sending healing prayers for Isis and prayers of strength for you.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Thinking and hoping and wishing and praying for Isis today.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

This must be terribly upsetting for you. I'm so sorry you and Isis are going through this. Wish I had some experience or advice to offer, but I can send tons of prayers and good thoughts.

Please let us know how Isis is doing.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest barkdogs

True strokes are pretty rare in dogs--she may have "idiopathic vestibular syndrome" which has a sudden onset in older dogs. It usually lasts about 2--3 weeks and then mysteriously disappears. Whatever it is, best wishes to you and Isis.

Unfortunately, strokes are common in greyhounds....

Ohio State Greyhound Health and Wellness program article on strokes

Wow--I did not know, as they are supposed to be quite unusual in other breeds. Thanks for the link!

I'm guessing you're getting to the neuro right about now. Lots of prayers and good thoughts coming from here that you get a great neuro, good diagnosis, and a positive prognosis.

:grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

At the neuro office and reading from my phone while waiting. Thanks everyone. On a good note... Isis walked in by herself. My vet called and said that could be a really good sign that we may be dealing more with FCE since she is better today and she had the steroid shot last night. The MRI should tell us more.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest lanielovesgreys

Call me crazy, but I'm really encouraged by your story about her walking to the water bowl. Apples and oranges, but my grandpa had a stroke and is back to 100%. I'm hoping so much for the same with beautiful and sweet Isis. Keep us posted!