Isis May Have Had A Stroke

Yesterday after work I let the dogs outside for turnout, everyone went out as usual and I turned around for less than a minute and when I turned back Isis was on the ground trying to get back up again and couldn't. When she would stand her whole right side wasn't working. He legs were going everywhere and her head was tilted. She looked like a baby foal getting up for the first time. :(

I grabbed her and loaded her up and called my vet on the way. The girl who answered said it was probably an inner ear infection. When we got there however the vet came in and said, no. He said, "This is bad." He said I had two options, take her home and make her comfortable or take her to the ER and they could "babysit" her. He told me there was nothing to do until a neurologist could see her so I took her home. She panted and drooled a lot. She finally settled and we both got a little bit of sleep.

This morning she has no control of her right side and her back right leg the knuckles fold over and she can't stand. My vet called at 8:30am and we have an appt with neuro at 2pm.

I guess I am mostly writing to get some advice or see if someone else has been through this? Isis is 9 years old. I remembered this morning that the day before yesterday she had vomited small amounts three separate times. I am remembering that with stroke patients they often report vomiting before hand.

My vet strongly suspects a stroke but also mentioned FCE.

IMG_8863.jpg

Edited by kamsmom

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Adrianne

Oh no!!!!! I'm shocked--poor sweet Isis.

I have no experience, but I want you to know that I'll be thinking about both of you.

Guest ChasesMum

ACK! Poor sweet baby. Sounds like it though... at least it sounds like a stroke in humans does. Lots of prayers!!!

Edited by ChasesMum

Oh no! Sending lots of prayers in your direction.

Pearl had two ministrokes in the last year. One was caused by clots from her hypertension. Her meds were upped and she was fine. The second was caused by clots from her cancer. She recovered from both of those.

I hope she's able to have some sort of recovery. Enough for a quality of life.

:hope

Was she on any medicine before the episode?

None.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

I hope the neurologist can help for poor Isis. We'll be thinking of you and Isis this afternoon.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Prayers for Isis. :ohno

This happened to my 11-1/2 year old girl around 2 years ago and we got her to the E-vet immediately. She couldn't stand on her rear legs and by the time we got her there, she was knuckling under with her front paws. She was tested and watched all day and we had to put her down that afternoon. She was in a lot of pain and they believe she threw a clot. It was sudden and an awful experience, but at least she didn't suffer from a prolonged illness (cancer).

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Many prayers coming your way!

This is what happened with Gambler, who then had a second stroke which affected his other side about 5-10 minutes after the first one.

Hoping for the very best

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Hobbes had a "neurological event" believed to be a small stroke in 2007. He had trouble walking, panted and heaved, was confused & disoriented, and had knuckling under on both rear feet. I believe he did have an episode of vomiting a few days before the event. He looked really bad but was able to have a slow and steady recovery over time. He was 13 and quite a bit older than Isis so she may be able to bounce back faster.

He was given a powerful steroid shot in the beginning, then placed on Prednisone in doses that gradually was reduced over a few weeks to what we called his "maintenance level". If the level went too low we could see signs of knuckling in his back feet. Hobbes was happy content, ate well and had a great quality of life. He was able reach his 14th birthday (when other health issues kicked in).

All my good wishes & prayers are going to Isis for a recovery. Please keep us posted on how she is doing.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I'm hoping SuzieQ sees this also. I can't recall the details of what she went through with Alan...

:kiss2 for sweet beautiful Isis.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest greymama002

Oh, I'm so sorry you are facing this scare with your beautiful girl; and the waiting is always so difficult. Many prayers & thoughts that Isis will recover fully.