...and Another Osteo Diagnosis

Guest TeddysMom

I'm so sorry. Just love her and give her anything she wants for as long as you have her with you. Good thoughts and prayers to Rivie and you.

Guest DylanGospel

:grouphug Teri, You and Rivie have been so very important to us.

Rivie will always be remembered by me every time I look at the wonderful gift of her son, Starr Gospel. Thank you so much for sharing her beauty with us and know that we are crying right along with you and your family.

Enjoy and cherish each and every remaining moment that you have with each other.

Janet, Hal, and Gospel (Goose)

Edited by DylanGospel

I'm so sorry. As others have said, celebrate each day together, and she will know how very much she is loved.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I am so sorry to read this. Make memories, take photos and live each day, one at a time.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Like too many here that have lost one to the Big C, cherish every moment, spoil her with all the food you know she loves, but shouldn't have :lol and love on her. Know that all of us here on GT, send our love and prayers

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Have you seen an oncologist? Osteosarcoma occurs most commonly in the long bones, while chondrosarcoma is more commonly located in the nose and the ribs. Chondrosarcoma, from what my oncologist told me, is less aggressive and does not metastasize as easily. Generally, as a result, if you can remove the primary tumor, you may have several years left with your dog. I know you said surgery is not an option and I may be way off base, but just because of where it's located, I wanted to mention this.

You may also want to look into artemisinin - there is good evidence that it slows the growth of or in some cases shrinks (or gets rid of) tumors. You can start with the most conservative approach possible, which is what Dr. Couto recommends - 100 mg Artemisinin daily at bedtime, but there are more detailed protocols including use of artemisinin derivatives (artemether and artesenuate) and curcumin. Feel free to PM me for more info or check out the artemisinin_and_cancer yahoo group.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. :grouphug

ETA: Sorry, I'm an idiot, I see now that you did a biopsy, which probably differentiates b/w osteo and chondrosarcoma. :(

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I am so very sorry to hear the news about Rivie. We are both travelling the same journey, just taking different paths. Give Rivie a hug from me.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Paige12

So sorry over what you and the others are going through right now. Many bitter, bitter tears shed over this horrible disease that takes our 4 legged kids before we are ever ready.

Have you seen an oncologist? Osteosarcoma occurs most commonly in the long bones, while chondrosarcoma is more commonly located in the nose and the ribs. Chondrosarcoma, from what my oncologist told me, is less aggressive and does not metastasize as easily. Generally, as a result, if you can remove the primary tumor, you may have several years left with your dog. I know you said surgery is not an option and I may be way off base, but just because of where it's located, I wanted to mention this.

You may also want to look into artemisinin - there is good evidence that it slows the growth of or in some cases shrinks (or gets rid of) tumors. You can start with the most conservative approach possible, which is what Dr. Couto recommends - 100 mg Artemisinin daily at bedtime, but there are more detailed protocols including use of artemisinin derivatives (artemether and artesenuate) and curcumin. Feel free to PM me for more info or check out the artemisinin_and_cancer yahoo group.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. :grouphug

ETA: Sorry, I'm an idiot, I see now that you did a biopsy, which probably differentiates b/w osteo and chondrosarcoma. :(

yes, she had a biopsy - and yes it is osteosarcoma and yes the tumor is located on the rib -- and yes i have already ordered the artemisinin (but the biopsy results were just back on wednesday, so it has not even had time to arrive yet) - we will start it as soon as it is delivered.

I'm very sorry read your news :( Sending best wishes for many good times ahead :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

wednesday we got rivie's biopsy results back - it's osteo. her tumor is on her rib, firmly attached. we drove to oklahoma city yesterday and saw a wonderful vet surgeon for consult, but surgery is not an option this time. we will continue to do what we have always done -- just love her. all advise, thoughts, prayers appreciated - my heart hurts.

I am so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you. The rib was were Beacher's tumor was. It grew fast so be prepared. Hawk's was in his shoulder and I believe it was easier and less painful on the rib. We got a good 7 months with Beach.

i would be so very interested in any info/help you can provide me!! i can find almost nothing on the web re:osteo on the ribcage. and yes, i am already astonished at the rate of growth - when i found the lump on june 19 (2 days after raibies vacine, vet checkup that was great, and awesome bloodwork -- see my earlier thread on possible rabies shot reaction!) the lump was "pecan to walnut" sized. since vet (who is wonderful) had just seen 2 days prior he suggested watching it a week. then the biopsy and a weeks wait for the results -- and now the tumor is between golf & tennis ball sized. i would be thrilled for anything you can share with me about beachers osteo --thanks so much.

thank you for all of your loving posts - i feel the comfort of others for sure.

Sending ongoing prayers, and gentle hugs and scritchies for your sweet pup.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.