Palu The Bigorangedog

Guest bigorangedog

Guest bigorangedog

My old buddy Palu, our very first one. None of us could have known what you would start; all we knew was that you were awesome. Even though I was afraid of you at first! Seems ridiculous now, after all the hounds that have come through here. But I had never had a big dog before, and I thought for a few days that you might decide to turn on me and eat me. Nothing could have been further from your true nature. Gentle, tolerant, the last to complain about anything. Sure, you got to be a bit of a grump in your teenage years, but I bet I will be grumpy too when I am 14x7 years old.

You gave us so many laughs. I must have taken thousands of pictures of you sleeping with all 4 feet in the air (and that was before digital cameras!), thinking it was a personality quirk specific to you alone. Well, even if all greyhounds do it, none of them did it as well as you.

You put up with so much from your little sister Abby. I think you really loved her, and I think you missed her when she was gone. If there is something after this, I hope she is there with you driving you nuts. When I think of you, one of the first things that pops into my mind is the two of you playing tug-of-war with that squeaky blue elephant. She with tightly clamped jaws, just hanging on (like a dog on a bone, as it were), and you trying valiantly to shake it free from her grip. You almost never won, but when you did, she would scold you with a loud yip of frustration and go right back after it as you tried to scurry away. The two of you were quite a pair.

When the other hounds began arriving, you accepted everyone with your usual patience. You never needed to be the center of attention; you were always just happy to be part of the family, along for the ride. Remember traveling with 3 other hounds in the back of the Beetle? People would stop on the street to watch you all get out of the car.

It makes me sad to think of you watching so many come and go. Of the original crew, only Chester and Tobey remain. Did you miss your old friends? Abby, Crisco, Annie, Tanner? The founding hounds of MNGR. That’s still where I start in my mind when I name off the dogs of our family.

And remember the Meet n Greets with Carl in Atlanta? You came along every weekend, and were the most reliable ambassador. I have in mind a particular little boy, maybe 2 years old, who just kept on putting his fingers in your eyes over and over. But you sat very still, looked over at me to be sure I was watching, and let him try to figure you out. You were always the perfect first greyhound for anyone to meet.

You were so stubborn and patient and stoic, you truly could have lived forever, buddy. But we knew that you had to be in pain, even though you never once complained. I know how hard you tried, such a “Tuffy” until the last. We miss you, Palu. Nine years in our family, and there is a huge hole now. But we could never forget you. You are the one who started it all. MNGR, BigOrangeDog, it has all been about you. Everything going forward comes back to you, our first.

Thank you for helping so many other hounds, and for helping me find what I love to do. Thank you for always just being there, no matter what. We love you, Palu-walu. Snack Hound, Stuffie Killer Extraordinaire, and my Buddy.

7521_1218729142633_1061032718_30665525_3167820_n.jpg

Edited by bigorangedog

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry.

Godspeed, perfect boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You have had one hell of a year. I am soooo beyond sorry for your loss. All of your losses. :sad1:

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

I'm so sorry. weep.gif If experience has shown anything with these hounds it is that even death is not strong enough to prevent them from finding a way to be there for us when we need them. Palu will be with you always. grouphug.gif

flowers_red.gifghlay.gifflowers_red.gif

I am so sorry for the loss of your very handsome boy.

Say not in grief, "he is no more," but live in thankfulness that he was. ~ Hebrew proverb

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Smiley

I am crying as I read this and my heart aches for all of the loss you've had to bear in the last year. But a what a beautiful tribute to a very loved boy. What a lovely spirit your Palu had and now he will join the pack of angels that now surround you. Many hugs to you . . .

Such a wonderful ol'boy! and a sweet kind face!

never to be forgotten ~ :candle

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Your tribute brought tears to my eyes and I'm truly sorry that you had to say goodbye to Palu. May you one day be able to look back with smiles instead of tears.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest lovemyhounds

What a beautiful tribute to your handsome Palu. I needed tissues but I am so glad that I got to know him a little bit from your words. It amazes me how our hounds take us where we need to go or teach us what we need to learn, in your case because of Palu, you have found your passion in helping greys. I am so sorry for your loss but so happy that Palu came into your life and led you to what you love and you do it so well. Thank you Palu for starting something GREYT!

What a wonderful tribute to your very special boy. Godspeed sweetie.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee