Lost My Jack After Anesthesia

Last week I took my boy Jack in for minor surgery - (corn removal and dentistry). The doctor who did the work (a wonderful woman) was a track vet and had actually neutered him prior to my adopting him two years ago - so she knew him. He woke up fine and active - but within an hour got very groggy and within another half-hour or so had massive bruises all over his body - along with vivid red skin inside of his ears and anywhere else you could see his skin. He fought for over 18 hours - and showed responsiveness in his eyes, but could not move his body. He eventually lost his battle when he went from having a normal temperature (which was fine when he first awoke as well) to spiking a fever over 108 and eventually convulsing. It was a horrible course of events - particularly given that he woke up fine. Has anyone else faced this experience? Some people including a nurse anesthetist that I know said perhaps he threw a blood clot. He was just shy of his sixth birthday - my baby boy. Just curious if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest happygrey

Oh I am so sorry for your loss. :grouphug How terrible. I've never had a bad experience with greys and anesthesia but have had bad ones with other non-grey dogs.

What a tremendous loss and I am so sorry!

Guest Greytluv

:cry1 How horrible for you :grouphug I'm so sorry. I don't have any experience with this but I'm sure someone here does.

Rest well, sweet Jack :gh_run

I've not personal experience with this, but just wanted to tell you how sorry I am for your loss. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Robin, this is Melanie, we met that day at the vet's, I had Payton with me. I was so sorry to hear that you lost your sweet Jack. Let me know if you need anything, I'm in the neighborhood.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Robin, this is Melanie, we met that day at the vet's, I had Payton with me. I was so sorry to hear that you lost your sweet Jack. Let me know if you need anything, I'm in the neighborhood.

Hi Melanie,

I have been in touch with Meredith through a mutual friend. She, too, has been wonderful. Thanks for the support. I have not been able to function normally since that day. I finally got back into my bed this past Sunday night for the first time - as Jack always slept there with me.

Please give Peyton a big hug.

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

Guest mhall

I'm no help in terms of figuring out what happened, but I just wanted to say I am so, so sorry you lost Jack. :grouphug

Guest Longdog

I am so so sorry to hear about poor young Jack, I know how it hurts having lost my lovely Cushtie on Friday night, maybe they are running around together now. I have no idea about the cause though I'm afraid. I couldnt bear it in the house without Cushtie so I have already adopted 2 new pups and it is easing the pain a little.

I am so so sorry to hear about poor young Jack, I know how it hurts having lost my lovely Cushtie on Friday night, maybe they are running around together now. I have no idea about the cause though I'm afraid. I couldnt bear it in the house without Cushtie so I have already adopted 2 new pups and it is easing the pain a little.

Thank you so much and I am so sorry for your loss....yes...maybe they are running through big fields - Jack most likely with one of my high-heel dress shoes in his mouth - as he would steal them from me so I couldn't run out for work! We have another older boy, EZ, who is 10, but he lives with my husband who is in the military and stationed in New York. They are home this week - and having a dog in the house helps. Yes...the emptiness is terrible.

Edited by mychip1

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Jack wasn't an offspring of Flying Oak, was he? Reason I ask is that we've has similar issues with his offspring. They can have all sorts of funky issues during & after surgery. No idea what the cause is, we just treat with Amicar before and after surgery and make sure someone is with them for at least 24 hrs post surgery, if not longer.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Jack wasn't an offspring of Flying Oak, was he? Reason I ask is that we've has similar issues with his offspring. They can have all sorts of funky issues during & after surgery. No idea what the cause is, we just treat with Amicar before and after surgery and make sure someone is with them for at least 24 hrs post surgery, if not longer.

No....not an offspring. Interesting point on genetics. I have found the woman who adopted his Mom and Grandfather and she did not know of anything - but you never know when you go one or two generations back.

What a horrible shock and terrible loss. I'm so very sorry.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Energy11

Sooo sorry to hear this!

It could have been either a clot, or Malignant Hyperthermia, which some greyhounds are pre-disposed to.

We sent you our love, many prayers and huge hugs! Run Free Jack!

Oh my gosh how horrible. I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

That is terrible, I am so very sorry you lost your boy Jack. Far too young.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.