Lost My Jack After Anesthesia

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How awful! Please don't beat yourself up. There was absolutely no way in the world you could have known what would have happened. I think it's normal to questions our decisions, but I'm sure in time you'll realize that you had absolutely no control over this sad situation :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest zoolaine

I am so sorry. :grouphug I had 6 months to prepare myself for Sunny going to the bridge, I can't imagine the shock your going through. Please don't beat yourself up or second guess things. Not to spout religion at you but with Sunny I just kept telling myself that God's timeline is not the same as mine. Sunny was not yet 9 years old when he went to the bridge with cancer last week. I was not ready for him to go but God wanted His dog back. There are just some things that don't make sense to us, like Jack's passing. Please know that GT is here for you.

I'm so sorry you've lost your boy.

I lost Oreo following orthopedic surgery to put a pin in a broken leg. The surgeon believed it was a clot in her lungs, preventing her from getting the oxygen she needed even though she was on O2. They did CPR but could not save her.

You feel guilty because you "chose" surgery to help your dog, you feel cheated of the chance to see your dog grow old and to tell your dog good-bye (and I didn't get to spend time with Oreo before surgery because they wanted her to stay calm), and you feel pole-axed: it was a simple, "routine" procedure, and surgical complications are things that happen to other people's dogs. (When the phone rang, I thought the vet was calling to tell me she was out of surgery and I could pick her up the next day.)

I didn't choose a necropsy. It was bad enough, realizing that if I'd seen her after she died, she would have been sporting an incision and stitches from the surgery; I really wanted to remember her as she had been (and not even remember her as she was in the ER, wrapped shoulder-to-toes in lime green vet wrap). The thought of her being cut further was more than I could tolerate. A necropsy wouldn't have brought her back, and I don't think it would have produced any useful information (say, for research purposes). Doctors often want to know "why". I didn't care about that; I just wanted her back.

Four years, two months, twenty-two days. I'm still missing her.

132673157_a745304b4e.jpg

I'll be thinking of you.

Your Oreo was beautiful. Thanks for the support. I was fortunate to say good-bye as he appeared to have some recognition in his eyes - but it was a long and painful 18 hours for him while we tried to save him. I did consider a necropsy....not just for the immediate situation, but because he was battling a horrible sleep disorder and I had been working with Tufts University's behavioral clinic to help him. I really wanted to donate his body to them - but as it ran through my head all I could see was him convulsing in my arms just minutes before - and now laying peacefully on a table. I just had to let him rest. When I let the people at Tufts know, I apologized for not sending his body so that they could better diagnose the sleep disorder for other dogs....and even they - as much as they are scientists - fully understood. I do think I might have had closure had I had it done regarding the cause of his passing - but I wasn't strong enough - particularly on the heels of him fighting so hard to stay with me.

I just want to thank everyone on GT for all of the support. This is my first time posting on the site....though I have had greys for several years. You all have been wonderful and it has provided me great comfort to know how many people wished for Jack's spirit to be free......and I thank all those who provided me insight as to what might have happened. Our other grey just headed back to NY with my husband (who is stationed there in the military). He's Daddy's boy - but...wow...does the house feel horribly empty again. Even the cat is looking for Jack.

Edited by mychip1

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Robin --

Glad you did come post here, although wish it had been under better circumstances. Would you mind if I posted the picture of Jack you sent me, so that everyone could see what a handsome hound he was?

You know I'm only half joking when I say you could borrow one of my hounds if you can't stand it. I'll have 6 in the house this weekend, including Melanie's Payton from Thursday through Monday!

I'll e-mail you again separately. :grouphug

Meri & the Dorg
with Little Lee from Eetaly (Raider Retire), Freya FooFoo (Writers Block), Brodie (never raced), and "foster" JJ (Rossmore Judith). Missing Bravo, Chickie, Nico, Meri Carol, Lucky II, Ringo, Mylie, Bull, Geordie, Shae-Leigh, Stretch, Dustin, Cooper, Lucky, and Heidi.

Hi Meri,

I would love for you to post the photo. I don't think I have enough posts to do that stuff yet. I appreciate the offer - and may take you up at some point if the house gets too empty.....I finally slept in my bed this past Sunday night for the first time - Jack always slept with me - even when my husband came back into town....he ended up on the couch with his boy by his side and Jack was in bed with me.

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

Here's Jack and his turtle...

post-7247-12772554238283_thumb.jpg

What a gorgeous boy. I'm sorry I never had the opportunity to know him.

Meri & the Dorg
with Little Lee from Eetaly (Raider Retire), Freya FooFoo (Writers Block), Brodie (never raced), and "foster" JJ (Rossmore Judith). Missing Bravo, Chickie, Nico, Meri Carol, Lucky II, Ringo, Mylie, Bull, Geordie, Shae-Leigh, Stretch, Dustin, Cooper, Lucky, and Heidi.

Here's Jack and his turtle...

post-7247-12772554238283_thumb.jpg

What a gorgeous boy. I'm sorry I never had the opportunity to know him.

Thanks for posting the pic....

I am very sorry for your sudden loss of your boy. It is an awful thing to go through, but your good memories of him will help you through this.

I lost my dear Quiet Man to what was believed to be throwing blood clots, DIC, like others had mentioned. His was not after surgery though, just out of the blue started being extremely uncomfortable, and about 8 hours later he was gone. :(

I'm so very sorry and I know how much it hurts. :f_white

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Jack was gorgeous boy. Again so very sorry for your tragic loss. I hope over time you will begin to heal and realize that there was nothing you could have done differently.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I am so sorry for your loss. He was a handsome guy! Watch over your Mom, big guy. Godspeed.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest MyCody

I'm just seeing this post, I am so sorry for your loss, Jack was truly loved and he knew it, I'm sure.

I wish there was something I could do for you but I know from experience that I can only hope you know we all feel your pain.

Terry

I keep asking over and over what I could have done - and I am beating myself up for worrying so much about the corn. I had been working on it for several months - but it wasn't going away - yet....he could have lived with it. My problem was that he LOVED to walk - and it certainly compromised that. And then I tell myself that eventually those teeth were going to need to be done - and I would have faced the problem then....still, the "what-if's" loom large.

Please don't blame yourself (easier said than done I know). Remember you were acting in his best interests, trying to ensure that he continued to enjoy life--that's what good parents do. You had no way to know this would happen.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Stripeyfan

I am so sorry to hear this! But like PatricksMom says, please DON'T beat yourself up over it. You could never have known this was going to happen in a million years. :grouphug :grouphug

Guest FullMetalFrank

I am very sorry for your loss. I agree it sounds like it could have been DIC (disseminated intravascular coagulation) once it starts there is usually very little that can be done. Don't be hard on yourself; you were only doing what was in his best interest and there was no way you or your vet could have predicted this would happen. Godspeed, Jack...

Guest boondog

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your handsome boy. I can't imagine how painful it must be. Run free, sweet Jack.