Neyla Needs Your Thoughts

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:grouphug

My heart breaks a little every time I hear that word.

Exactly what I was going to say :( :(

Jen, I am so, so hoping it's not osteo and that Neyla is going to be okay. :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck I have my fingers tightly crossed for you both. :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

My vet just forwarded me the x-rays and I immediately sent them on to Dr. Couto and his team. Hopefully I will get a response soon. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I hope they will get back to you soon. In my experience, they tend to write back in the mornings, so, you might not hear anything until tomorrow morning. I think with initial osteo consults they are really quick to get back to you though, so maybe you'll hear something later today. :goodluck

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Glad you sent the x-rays to Dr. Couto... Keeping fingers VERY tightly crossed... :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Dr. Couto replied almost immediately:

Unfortunately it does look like a primary bone tumor

He offered to discuss treatment options on the phone with me tomorrow morning. I emailed back asking how confident he is and told him I would call him.

I can't believe this is happening. I am falling apart.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this news. My prayers are with you both.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Oh no! :cry1 :cry1 :cry1

Jen, I'm so sorry :( Hope you can discuss options with Dr. Couto tomorrow morning. Try to take heart... we're here for support :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

I'm so very sorry.

:grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Jen - I'm so sorry :( Neyla needs you to hold yourself together for her. :grouphug

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest bigorangedog

So, so sorry to hear this. I will be wishing both you and Neyla an easy journey through this.

We did pain management only with some of our osteo pups who were not candidates for amputations for various reasons. It's a delicate balance between giving enough meds to control the pain, and not too many meds to get unpleasant side effects. You'll probably need to try out a bunch of different pain combos and adjust as time goes on. One we've had good luck with, and that some vets don't think of, is Gabapentin.

Talk with Dr Couto about the Metronomic Protocol and whether that would help her. The Protocol consists of an NSAID (such as Deramaxx), Alendronate (or Fosamax, which is a human drug for osteoporosis, which helps rebuild bone), Doxycycline, and Cyclophosphamide (a chemotheraputic). We had Whitey on this after his bone metastases showed up, and it seemed to help.

We also added low-dose Naltrexone (suggested by a GTer) which is experimental but worth a shot.

Definitely do Artemisinin. You can talk with Dr Couto about this too, as they do use it at OSU.

As someone else mentioned, you could look into palliative radiation. This can help with pain control, although it may increase the risk of pathologic fractures. If you don't want to do amp, though, I doubt you want to do this. It has to be done under general anaesthesia, probably at a University or other specialty hospital.

If you are considering the amputation at all, take a look at the blog post I wrote (link in my sig) about our experiences with amputations. I worried about my shy boy Apollo too, but he came through it like a champ. Xrays are the most stressful thing for him, so we just used some Valium or Ace when we've had to do those, and he bounces back in a couple hours.

If I can help with anything at all, please let me know. But Dr Couto is definitely your go-to guy, so I am glad you are in contact with him.

So sorry you are going through this. Sending many hugs.

Jen

no!!!

I am so very sorry you've received this terrible news. :(

Sending hugs and prayers to you and Neyla.

:grouphug:hope

Edited by fsugrad

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Dammit. I can't even tell you how sorry I am. My heart fell reading this. I'm crying for you both. I wish I could undo it. I wish Argos having cancer would have meant he was taking one for the team and all of our other loved dogs would have been saved. I wish, I wish.

I'm just so sorry. So, so sorry.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~