Scared To Death

Guest BooBooMama

Guest BooBooMama

Friends, family and members of my greyhound adoption group have been talking to me. They are worried about me being alone and think that I should foster until I find another dog. I think that I will do it. This beautiful breed has given me so much joy these past 15 years that I think it would be a good thing to do in BooBoo's memory. That being said, I am SO nervous! They have a group coming up from Florida THIS SATURDAY! I have never had a dog straight from the track. All of mine came from foster homes. I do not know why I am so petrified after three greys except that I am still not emotionally strong after BooBoo's death.

Any advice or words of wisdom?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

grouphug.gif

Why not think of it like this: your foster will probably be as nervous as you are. You can relax together. smile.gif

It's wonderful that you're thinking of fostering - there's a hound out there that needs you. BooBoo is so very proud of you. wub.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest BooBooMama

grouphug.gif

Why not think of it like this: your foster will probably be as nervous as you are. You can relax together. smile.gif

It's wonderful that you're thinking of fostering - there's a hound out there that needs you. BooBoo is so very proud of you. wub.gif

Thank you SO much.

Guest gecko_foot

I just adopted my first greyhound back in January, so I can't give you any sage words of wisdom. I wish you the best of luck. Who knows? You might end up with a "failed" foster :)

Guest BooBooMama

I just adopted my first greyhound back in January, so I can't give you any sage words of wisdom. I wish you the best of luck. Who knows? You might end up with a "failed" foster :)

That is my goal!

My grey came right from the tracts. The adopton agency I used do not believe in foster homes..the grey only has to get used to one new set of rules and not two..makes sence to me. The first couple of weeks were both funny and a little scarey. For example: the first time he saw a TV on I cracked up, but stairs were very scarey for him..just patience and love got him through all of it and after 4 months he is plain wonderful..

My broken record advice for any new hound off the track. Tape up any and all

full glass doors or low to the ground glass windows. Your foster has no idea he or she cannot walk (or run) to what he / she can so clearly see.

Other than that enjoy helping the dog interpret his new and often very scary world in a way he / she can understand. Relax and have fun with him / her.

I have not had a dog come from a foster home since Kia way back in 2000.

I love watching a new hound experience his new environment for the very first time. Often times very comical and always a lot of fun for human and hound.

Good luck, you will be great!

Guest BooBooMama

My broken record advice for any new hound off the track. Tape up any and all

full glass doors or low to the ground glass windows. Your foster has no idea he or she cannot walk (or run) to what he / she can so clearly see.

Other than that enjoy helping the dog interpret his new and often very scary world in a way he / she can understand. Relax and have fun with him / her.

I have not had a dog come from a foster home since Kia way back in 2000.

I love watching a new hound experience his new environment for the very first time. Often times very comical and always a lot of fun for human and hound.

Good luck, you will be great!

I LOVE all of you! Thanks.

I think there is a special bonding for you and a dog that comes straight from the track. You get to learn all the stuff together. Two of mine were and they were no more difficult to work with than the other ones. There is always a learning curve.

Good luck and you are doing a great thing in fostering. But it is how I ended up with 4 dogs!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

I can only tell you that every time I have lost a dog we have quickly replaced it.....standard poodles and greyhounds. I think it's a tribute to the love and the relationship you shared. Give another grey a home and help yourself to heal!!! Best of luck.

I think BooBoo has a huge greyhound smile and is saying I trained you up right mum. You can do this!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest PhillyPups

Of the 10 hounds that have graced my presence, only 3 had ever been in a home before mine.

I absolutely love our learning the world of homelife together. It is fun. As Nancy said tape any eyelevel glass doors. Their antics are so funny. Gremlin still tries to scare Stover (the black dog in the stove) away. DonnieDude will watch TV, each have their funny antics. Stairs can be a challenge. :lol

Best of luck and hoping for a successful failure. The greytest tribute we can give to the hounds that leave us is to share the space on the couch with another. The space in our hearts will always be theirs, but we learn how big our hearts can be.

:bighug to you

eta I get scared to death on every new one coming to me. I slap my head and say what have I done, and all have been absolutely perfect. :)

Edited by PhillyPups

All of my greys, except for Paul came straight from the track. John E was in the adoption kennel a while, but never in a home. Idol never so much as had an accident in our home. Go for it! Enjoy the fresh start.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest TBSFlame

I have failed fostering, I have adopted from the kennel and from foster care, I have adopted returns and I have pre-adopted. My favorite is from the track. They are like a rose bud when they come to you and each day you get to watch what your love has given them to make them bloom. Relax and enjoy.

Guest sorenkkg

Haka came right from the track, and Aleeya went from track to breeding to our home... so I don't know any different :)

Maybe the beginning is a bit slower, learning all the stuff everyone talks about (don't forget slippery floors, stairs, mirrors, oven, kitchen cabinets, walking down the street, other dogs of all sizes and other animals).

I have to say, watching Haka learn to play Fetch (he really does give the ball, right at my feet) was the best few weeks!

Good luck :D

Guest bigbrindlebunny

Fostering is a wonderful thing to do for a dog, and if you don't wind up keeping this pupper, the adoptive family. I can't say enough about how much it meant to me to get a note from Pete's foster Mom and care package on his gotcha day. It made a WORLD of difference. I was a wreck, Pete's my first dog. Now every year I give a token of thanks to both my adoption coordinator and his foster Mom for their help and trust in giving me my Petey.

So if you have love in your heart and room in your life to help a hound in need, you should do it. It's not a lifetime commitment unless it's right for both you. Until then, it's a very important and precious gift for a hound that needs a helping hand.

Guest caiteag

Fostering is a wonderful (though sometimes exhausting) experience... just remember the advice you have already been given and be patient and maintain your sense of humour. :)

Guest burgerandfrey

We had our first grey for 10 years, and the silence in our home was unbearable when we lost her. It was a couple of months before we adopted another greyhound (who had been fostered), and six weeks after that we adopted yet another (straight from the track to the rescue).

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it much. I know some greyhounds can be a challenge, but ours adapted to our homes quite easily. If you aren't sure you are ready consider volunteering with your local rescue group and perhaps fostering a greyhound. My wife and I knew we would fail miserably at fostering, so we decided to adopt two hounds... one first and another soon after that. Of course there can be challenges... especially in the first month or so, but the rewards are great. You'll never replace your beloved Booboo, but you will be surprised at how better you'll feel even being around greys as a volunteer. When you are ready to adopt you will form a strong bond with your new hound as well.

All the fosters I have had over the years have been fresh off the circuit. And yes it is a bit scary. But take heart in knowing they are just as scared as you are. And with fostering you will help a "new Kid" get its "home" legs and you will be the first to see the personality come through. It's also great in that when you feel you are ready, the current foster may be the one you have been waiting for. If not, then you send them to a forever home knowing they are ready to be as loved and spoiled family member.

Greg

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

grouphug.gif

:nod The best way to honor the memory of those that have left us is to help another hound in need :)

New greys from the track sometimes need a lot of your attention the first few days...it can be comical and very heartwarming to see the lightbulbs go on for them as they learn about home life. Perhaps having another in the house will help your heart heal a little bit? :grouphug

Good luck, be sure to take lots of pictures!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest cheltzey

We are complete newbies, and Lando came straight from the farm after being off the track for a few months. We're learning together! I'm sure you'll do just wonderfully. I've found that all it takes is knowledge (forewarned is forearmed!), a sense of humor, and a good dose of patience! Good luck! Here's to a failed foster!

When I got Jeff Gordon I was the same way, asking his foster mama ridiculous questions that must have had her thinking 'umm hello you have done this before' after a short while I 'got my groove back' so to speak. I guess it is just you know 'your' dog so well that it makes you second guess the ability to know what works with a new one.

You'll be just fine!!

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Guest BooBooMama

When I got Jeff Gordon I was the same way, asking his foster mama ridiculous questions that must have had her thinking 'umm hello you have done this before' after a short while I 'got my groove back' so to speak. I guess it is just you know 'your' dog so well that it makes you second guess the ability to know what works with a new one.

You'll be just fine!!

Thanks- I needed that

BooBoo is soooo proud of you for opening your heart up to help and love another greyt. I really believe BooBoo will help you. You can never go wrong loving a greyhound. It is a great blessing to have the opportunity to share in it. You will do fine and be very glad you did it because you love-and that afterall is the most important powerful thing in the world. ENJOY!!!!!

I just had to come and find this thread. You are going to do just great, I just know it.

I was nervous when Lenny was on his way and I had had GH's for years so I think it's just natural to be nervous.

Your new little girl is a very lucky girl to be coming to you and I so agree with whoever said that BooBoo will help you.

I'll be counting the days until Saturday, and we're here if you need anything!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless