Scared To Death

Guest BooBooMama

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dobiegrey

My girl came straight from the Kennel at the track and I did the taping thing and kept her close the first few weeks and it was great! I loved watching her explore and get to know "retired" life!!! Trust me it did not take her long at all. Good Luck! Have fun and give & get lots of lovin'! It will help your heart so much more than you know and ask BooBoo for help.

Lou

Guest BooBooMama

My girl came straight from the Kennel at the track and I did the taping thing and kept her close the first few weeks and it was great! I loved watching her explore and get to know "retired" life!!! Trust me it did not take her long at all. Good Luck! Have fun and give & get lots of lovin'! It will help your heart so much more than you know and ask BooBoo for help.

Lou

What is the 'taping thing'?

Guest dobiegrey

Lou

Sorry, I meant "to tape things up" thing, you know with blue painters tape, you know windows, glass doors, mirrors! I am truly the worlds worse spellers sometimes!

Guest BooBooMama

Lou

Sorry, I meant "to tape things up" thing, you know with blue painters tape, you know windows, glass doors, mirrors! I am truly the worlds worse spellers sometimes!

OH! Gotcha! I hid my mirrors, my windows all have lattice work, no glass sliding doors- so I think I have that all ready.

Guest BooBooMama

I need to pull myself together and be sure I am ready for tomorrow. Here is my list. Did I forget anything?

Collar, leash, muzzle and tag provided by adoption group- check

Rain coat and light sweater for WI's unpredictable spring weather- check

Windows, mirrors and doors are all safe- check

Crate washed, door put back on and new crate pad- check

Dog beds washed and in place- check

Thawing the frozen raw dog food in fridge- check

Grain free kibble standing by for next week (I will add just a spoon-full at a time to get her used to it for those times when we are out of town) - check

Grain-free treats- check

2 new tooth brushes (one for B4 her teeth are professionally cleaned and one for after) - check

Teeth cleaning gel- check

Furminator brush- check

Nail clippers and styptic powder- check

Bach's Rescue Remedy- check

DAP Diffuser plugged in- check

Stocked-up on Pet Stain and Odor eliminator and paper towels- check

Bought sweet potatoes to bake and add to food if we have a case of the Big D- check

Bought peanut butter for Kong

First aid kit checked, stocked and up-to-date- check

Will purchase Kong at Petco tomorrow when I pick her up

I feel like I am forgetting something........

Sounds like you have it all together! I am asuming the food bowl and some type of stuffy is already on board? I wish I had been half as organized before my first, second, third or fourth dog showed up! Congratulations on taking this step and enjoy your new foster-girlie! Oh, yeah, a CAMERA!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest BooBooMama

Sounds like you have it all together! I am asuming the food bowl and some type of stuffy is already on board? I wish I had been half as organized before my first, second, third or fourth dog showed up! Congratulations on taking this step and enjoy your new foster-girlie! Oh, yeah, a CAMERA!

Oh! You are right I need to check on my camera battery!

Yes, the feeder is in palce as well.

Guest Capslock

Yeah you may be forgetting something (though you seem to have things WELL in hand), but so what? You have all the basics, and can get anything else you need later. I just LOVE the nervous anticipation before getting a new grey. You really get an adrenaline rush from it, since it's a significant event that will change your life for many years to come (in a good way!)

The only thing I see that you are missing from your list is a camera ready to take pics tomorrow! :lol

EDIT: Haha, dante2zoe beat me to it!

Edited by Capslock

Guest Energy11

I adopted My Special Boy, Curfew, THE DAY after Bold Energy died. ...

I went to the GPA Greater Orlando Kennel, and asked for the "most needy" grey there ... MY boy was hunched over under the desk! He was afraid of DH, and soo much, " a spook!" Wish you could see MY Boy now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't be "scared!" ALL OF US have been down this "road," and we understand!

Sending lots of love and hugs!

Guest lynne893

We are getting ready to adopt again after Timber passed away in September.

You have lots of love in your heart, even for a new dog. Just remember it doesn't lessen the love you had for Boo Boo, not at all.

Lynne (formerly of Appleton, WI! I went to Appleton East, class of '98!)

Haven't read all the replies but my Harley raced his last race at Bluffs and stepped of that hauler and into my living room without a hitch 5 days later. Buck was in the adoption kennel for more than a year but fit in like he had lived here all his life.

In my experience the off the farm dropouts are ten times the work of any track dog.

I think you doing this will be a win win win deal.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest BooBooMama

She is here! Her racing name was Happy So but she never raced. (Sire is Flying Penske and Dame is PNJ's Promenade.) Her kennel name is Houdini (I hope that isn't a sign of things to come! Please no Greyhound Amber alerts- my heart couldn't take it!) She will be 4 years old in June. She is white with red patches and face markings and is a very tiny little girl at 58lbs.

What an exhausting trip for her! They left FL in 90 degree heat and drove straight through to WI! All four dogs (2 males and 2 females) were in crates for a full 24 hours on Friday and then hauled by car from Racine to Appleton in WI on Saturday. They had not been fed in 48 hours, didn't sleep, she had been peed on by the males, she had fleas and flea bites and was just filthy, irritated, hungry and tired. They gave her Capstar at Emerald Kennels that morning to kill the fleas but we still found some on her. She was shampooed with flea dip, clipped her nails, and checked her shots and finally I drove her home.

I found out that she can sit- she sat in the back seat of my car all the way home. And she climbed up the steps into the house with no problems at all.

She was so hungry and just wolfed down her food so I gave her two small servings a few minutes apart and she kept it down. At first she wandered from room to room non-stop until I sat down on the floor and she finally settled down and laid down next to me, put her head in my lap and napped for about 1/2 hour. She slept on and off last night, whined a little bit but would eventually settle back down. She is napping in the living room right now so this was my first chance to post.

She has been scratching herself and biting all night. I can't see any fleas or ticks so I think it is from a combination of the bites and the flea dip. Any suggestions on what I should do? Maybe another bath with an anti-itch shampoo to wash away the strong flea dip chemicals- or does that defeat the purpose of the flea dip? I don't want her to have another uncomfortable night.

I will be taking her in to the vet tomorrow for a stool check and blood work. Also her gums are inflamed so she will need antibiotics to clear that up before we can spay and clean her teeth.

All in all she is a sweetheart. Welcome Houdini. ( I am having problems inserting the picture of her. Sorry I will keep trying.)

Welcome home baby girl :yay :yay

Those hauls sound brutal, but it's over now and she's home!

No experience with fleas or ticks so I can't help with that.

So she took the stairs with no problem? That's something!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest BooBooMama

Welcome home baby girl yay.gifyay.gif

Those hauls sound brutal, but it's over now and she's home!

So she took the stairs with no problem? That's something!

Yes but now I have to watch her like a hawk- she is very interested in the basement stairs. None of my other dogs cared. I might need to run out and get a baby gate so she can't slip past me while I do laundry. I don't want her down there with the water pump, etc.

Hiya Houdini! My angel Liath was 58 lbs - such a delectable little size.blush.gif

I would say the itchies are from the flea bites - might take a day or so to ease up. Wonder if benedryl might help?

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

We're in a new house and there are stairs to get to the front door.

I wanted to have a gate put in but I'm afraid that Ekko who has jumped gates before, would jump it and break her neck on the stairs.

I mean this is Ekko I'm talking about :rolleyes:

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

..not true Claudia -- You have tick experience now! :lol

I agree a couple of Benedryl might help and can't hurt. I am not so sure she didn't sleep on the haul. That is one of the reasons that the haulers go grueling hours like they do...as long as they are in motion the dogs usually sleep. Same is true of my guys on long road trips...it's when I get off the highway they wake up.

She sounds like one cutie patootie. Waiting for pics.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

..not true Claudia -- You have tick experience now!

I keep hoping it was that one time and that will be the end of it, but I doubt it :rolleyes:

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest BooBooMama

I have tried and tried but I cannot post pictures from my Shutterfly site. I tried reading the thread about it but 20 pages of others trying and some not succeeding just had me confused. Does anyone else use Shutterfly?

Guest sorenkkg

I have tried and tried but I cannot post pictures from my Shutterfly site. I tried reading the thread about it but 20 pages of others trying and some not succeeding just had me confused. Does anyone else use Shutterfly?

I do, and you can't do with Shutterfly what you can with Photobucket or I think Flickr, so for posting pics here, I use those (I still use Shutterfly for everything else though).

:) s.

Guest Ashleigh

I never came in contact with, let alone owned a greyhound before. Mine was fresh from a farm, ticks and everything. It was quite a shock. It took about 2 days and I didn't know how I lived without him. From a track or a foster home, it'll always be a new experience for both of you...

Good luck! :colgate