Lyra

Guest RynnAndLyra

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:bighug :bighug :bighug

Merann, I know your post didn't come out right. Maybe you should just try again here, replying to your thread?

She went so suddenly. I know your heart is broken, but I also know that Lyra (and your other pets) have the best life on the pet planet with you. They're incredibly lucky.

Take good care of yourself.

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

I'm so sorry. :cry1

Godspeed Lyra.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Guest handpicked

Merann-- Lyra is running fast and free with all of her friends at the Bridge. Please know she is still watching over you. Sending you white light for healing--Shelley and all the kids

**Posting for Merann**

I never had cancer in the back of my mind because Dr. Duke said it looked good - a fixable break. He was wrong.

Lyra ruled the boys with an iron paw. She and Sterling had their own special game of stealing each other's rawhide. She would bark at him until he gave his up. Then she would grab it and run downstairs with it. It wouldn't be long until off went Sterling - and they would play the game downstairs - with one rushing back upstairs after successfully taking the rawhide. It truly was a game because there are always about 10 rawhides in their basket to choose from.

She was "Her Royal Highnesses". You see - she had two hineys - one one either side and both needed to be scritched every morning. She would come in the room and turn around and "present" herself for scritches.

We could get her to roach by asking her if she was "cute". "Lyra, are you cute?" Oh yes, then she would roach. And just as quickly, green eyed Rynn would try and get in on the action - moving in for pets.

She LOVED her walks. I would touch her back and she would swing her head from side to side while arching her back. She was just so happy to go on walks. She would chatter her teeth at me for a walk. How could you resist that?

All those things I will miss. She was so beautiful with her silver face, silver hairs on the back of her legs and belly and little white tipped tail.

One time she was playing with a rawhide in the living room - tossed it into the air and right into my very expensive glass bowl I have on the coffee table. She immediately looked at me in horror. I laughed and got up and gave the rawhide to her. Lisa said "she could have broken that". I said, "but she didn't". That was a couple of years ago. Sunday I was cleaning that bowl and there is a long crack that starts at the base of the bowl and almost goes to the edge. It made me smile. The bowl is broken now, after she is gone. She left me a sign.

***How she passed***

A week ago yesterday I was home as workmen were at my house. My roommate came home at lunch and went to give the three hounds a potty break. All of a sudden I hear screaming - screaming. I ran down and Lisa was walking in with Lyra. Lyra was screaming and limping - holding her right leg up. I told Lisa to hold her and I ran upstairs and got some Metacam and gave it to her.

I gingerly felt her leg. It was just swinging. I knew she had broken her leg. I told Lisa to go call Dr. Bill. His office is only about 3 minutes from us. We somehow got her in the back of the jeep and I was back there with her. Dr. Bill put her on the table - I don't know why he had to do that. She was in such pain she bit me and then bit Lisa. I was screaming at him to give her something for the pain. I know I was hysterical and he got angry with me.

She needed x rays. Mill Creek couldn't take her until 2:00 pm and by that time it was 11:45. So Dr. Bill called Pilchuck and they could take her. She was a little more calm - we headed over to Pilchuck. By the time we got there - whatever he gave her was wearing off. She started screaming again. Lisa went in to the office - it took forever for them to come out with the gurney. Finally get her inside and they take her back. I can hear her screaming and screaming. Finally Dr. Duke came in and said he was angry because he kept getting Dr. Bill's voice mail. He wanted to put her under and splint the leg. I told him just to do it - don't wait for Dr. Bill. Finally she was quiet. They recommended orthopedist down by 145th. Lisa called and they would take her. First place we tried said no -not until tomorrow. Dr. Duke gave her more pain medication and we got her back in the jeep.

I rode back there with her trying to hold her - because every time she moved when the car accelerated - she screamed. We got there and again - why does it take so long for them to come and get her?? Finally we are in a room with a vet tech. PLEASE give her something for the pain. She did - opiates. Which takes them out of their minds - but at least relives the pain.

We waited there - kept going out to get the vet tech when we thought she needed more pain medication. Finally at 4:00 the Dr. came in and started talking to us. Dr. Duke had told us it was a clean break and could be repaired. So I couldn't figure out why Dr. Bennett was talking about everything, what she eats, etc. instead of fixing her. He asked me - "What do you want to ask me?" I looked up and said - how do we fix her? He then said "Oh this is the part I hate - I saw a tumor behind the break". I collapsed - osteosarcoma. Again. Sterling was diagnosed last May and had his amputation and chemo. My tri-pod - it has been almost a year.

I was sobbing and sobbing. Dr. Bennett said that the chance of recovery for her was not going to be good - the cancer had shattered the bone. Even if he did amputate - the chance of infection and a long recovery was certain.

I looked at my little girl. This girl could not stand any pain - she had the lowest pain tolerance I have ever seen in a dog. I couldn't do this to her. Sterling - yes -my huge boy was only 6 when his happened. Lyra was going on 12.

We let her go. Peacefully - she went peacefully.

The shock has been so great - she just turned the corner - she didn't even fall.

I emailed OSU as they gave us Sterling's chemo drugs. Dr. Liliana said that 4 out of 5 times - due to the osteo - the break is just spontaneous.

Even with five cats and two other hounds - the house is so empty. We are all still in shock I think.

We got her remains back on Saturday. I still haven't put her up on the mantel as of yet.

I have one thing to be grateful for - we were there when this horrible thing happened to her. What if we had been at work and she would have screamed and suffered all day?? I can't even imagine - I think I would have died.

She is at the bridge with Britta and Tant - and Raz, and Ruffian, and Aegean, and Mazzit. Oh the list is so long.

A couple days after - I looked at Dr. Bennett's bill. His consultation fee was $80.00. I read down further - the pain medication - the cremation - and then at the bottom - he backed out his consultation fee. I wrote him a card thanking him - and telling him that his consultation was what helped me make the right decision. Our cards crossed in the mail - he hand wrote me a card saying how sorry he was about Lyra. What a lovely man.

Run free my girl. I love you so.

**Xan here. I was able to quickly find just a couple pictures of lovely Queen Lyra.

Lyra2ws.jpg

Lyra1ws.jpg

Lyra was a special girl, who lived a lucky life. Merann loves her pets/kids so completely that they are all free to open like flowers, living happily as one big family, furry and not-so-furry. Lyra leaves a big hole in that family, and is missed!

:bighug :bighug :bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

I'm so very sorry.

Godspeed, sweet girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Your description of what happened was so vivid. I could feel your pain as I was reading it. I'm so very sorry for your loss flowers_red.gif

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

So sad. I am so sorry for your loss.

I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us, everyday, of those we love.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Lyra.

:grouphug:f_pink

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Merann I'm so, so sorry that you, Lisa and Lyra had to go through such a horrific experience. But Lyra knew she was loved and you did right by her from the minute she walked in your door until the moment she left for the next world. I got chills when I read about the cracked bowl! What a clear and clever sign from your little Queen Bee. Please accept my condolences, and hug your hounds for me.

Those pictures Xan posted were taken at my house...I must have fostered her. I wish my memory wasn't so leaky these days. :(

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Guest lovemyhounds

I am very sorry for the sudden loss of your precious Lyra. It sounds like you were both very blessed to have shared your lives with each other.

I am so sorry for your loss of your Lyra. Your love for her, and she for you, is so clear. God speed, sweet girl.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.