Brandy

starhound

Brandy left for the bridge almost two weeks ago but I'm only just able to post about her here. I've been so fragile. Brandy was a therapy greyhound. I've had greyhounds all my life, but she was my soul dog. I feel she shared my sense of humour and she was always so happy. To her, everybody was her friend. She would greet random people in the street as if they were long-lost friends she hadn't seen for years.

Her death was too sudden. She went from fine to completely downhill in less than 24 hours. One morning we woke up and she was swaying slightly. It got worse so we took her to the E-vet, who said she was dehydrated and kept her overnight on an IV. The next day when I got her back, she didn't know where she was, or who I was, and she kept pawing at her eye and throwing herself around as if she was in unbearable pain. She was so confused. She was screaming in pain. We made a stretcher out of a comforter and took her to our usual vet, who said she'd suffered a massive, massive stroke and that giving her drugs would just prolong her confused state. The damage was perminent. She couldn't eat, drink, or even walk anymore. The vet said the kindest thing was to let her go. I hugged her and held onto her until her heart stopped beating.

In late 2005 I heard about some greyhounds being kept in a shed. They apparently weren't fed much and kept biting eachother. I agreed to take one of them as I wanted another hound. (The other hounds in the shed got homes.) Brandy came into my house for the first time, and clung to my sofa. For about three days she was glued to it, sleeping and healing. She was covered in bite wounds, some of them were an inch or more wide. My vet couldn't stitch them up because her skin was too thin, but she healed up. As she settled in, her obsession with toys grew. She loved toys. She'd carry them everywhere, greet you with them, sleep with them.. she just loved them. I spoiled her with them, but she deserved it, because she'd been through so much neglect. Despite being spoiled by me, she was never bad.. just always so loving, adoring, happy.

Not long after I got her, she suffered a uterus infection and had to be emergency spayed. Shortly after that, my other greyhound at the time, Crystal, attacked her at random. Her wounds were so bad - Brandy's neck had to be surgically closed in two places with stitches - that I decided it would be best to rehome Crystal as an only-dog. I had been trying to curb Crystal's dog aggression for a long time but Brandy had suffered because of it. Luckily my mother gave Crystal a home. Brandy became my only dog and she went everywhere with me.

In 2008 I immigrated to the USA.. and no way was I going without my Brandy. I raised the $2000+ involved in having her brought over.. but when it was over, we were home together.

Her ashes are home with me as of yesterday. The pain is unreal.. I miss her more than I can describe.

I made a Flickr album for her here: Brandy

breeday-thumb1.jpg

park91.jpg

breeday51.jpg

forty1.jpg

loafy8.jpg

With me in London..

wv25.jpg

and with me on vacation in West Virginia.

wv26.jpg

I miss you Brandy. It was too soon for you to leave.

Such a beautiful girl.

Gentle hugs to you.

Rest well, sweet Brandy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:f_red I am so sorry she had to leave you. There must have been a very important job waiting that only she could do.

God speed to you little girl, for you truly know how very much you are loved.

Please continue to watch over your mom

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Adrianne

She was very beautiful, and your love for her is obvious. Such a nice tribute. I'm sorry you lost her too soon; it's always too soon. weep.gif

flowers_white.gif

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 She left much too soon.

Godspeed Brandy.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Guest lovemyhounds

I am very sorry for your loss. Thank you for telling us about and sharing pictures of your precious Brandy. Your love for her came shining through in the words that you wrote and she looks so happy in the pictures. When Brandy came to you hurt and scared, you were kind, caring and most of all you loved her. I hope you find comfort in knowing that it was because of you that Brandy found happiness.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful memories and pictures of your beautiful girl. I am so sorry for your loss. Cindy, also in Maryland.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Oh that is a truly wonderful magnificent album!!!! I couldn't help but notice how happy so many of her pictures were. So many of them were truly outstanding. I really liked the one on the 1st page where she was getting scritches and her ears were up and she looked giddy and oh how comfortable she was laying on that blue pillow. She has such a happy expression in so many of them. Thank you so much for sharing. grouphug.gif

Try to be as openminded as you can. She may send you a sign or even another hound. Love is very very powerful.

"The best and most beautiful things

in the world cannot be seen or even touched.

They must be felt with the heart."

"What we have enjoyed we can never lose…All that we love deeply becomes a part of us"

Helen Keller

"For love is as strong as death….

Many waters cannot quench love,

Nor can the floods drown it."

Song of Solomon 8:6-7

Edited by racindog

What a happy, happy girl she was. Your love for her and her love for you is so evident in your pictures. I'm so sorry she had to leave you so suddenly. She may not be by your side any longer but she is forever in your heart and will always keep watch over you.

Godspeed Brandy, may you run free with the wind at the Bridge. :f_pink :f_pink

Edited by 5blackgreys

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

I'm so sorry for your loss. Brandy was a beautiful & very lucky girl to have found you. Godspeed Brandy! flowers_yellow.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest ss556

I'm so sorry, she was so beautiful, now a beautiful Angel. It's extremely painful, I know. Remember how lucky the two of you were to have each other.

I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful girl, Brandy.

We have an angel named Brandy, too.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds