Dog Doors And Cats

Our household has changed. Both kids are away at college and my husband's job is bringing him home later than before. The 13 YO whippet can't make it for more than 6 hours and one of the 3 YO greys can't make it past 8 hours. He has already been worked up and over medically and it appears to be behavioral. Anyway, I am getting tired of coming home and having to clean floors and rugs. It seems like the time to invest in a dog door. Our backyard has a 6 foot privacy fence, with the gates being locked. The hang-up is the indoor cats and our floor plan doesn't really allow to keep the critters separated during the day. Does anyone have cats and a dog door? Any experiences and brand suggestions welcome. TIA!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I have a dog door but my cats are indoor/outdoor cats because of it. I didn't want to lock them in a room all day so I made the choice that the cats could go in & out the dog door also. I have been lucky - the cats do OK and the dogs love the dog door.

gallery_15555_2884_10764.jpg
Adrienne - with the kitties Tippy & Tyler Too

Missing my bridge angels Boo Zsee, Java Bean (Nitro Kristen), Zeeba and Baer the not-so-miniature schnauzer

Guest SillyIzzysMom

Yep. . .and the cat uses it too. When I got my dogs I treated the backyard as part of the "do not eat the kitty" training with muzzles leashes etc. . .and mine know that they are not allowed to eat Mr. Boo in the house or the small backyard.

However, if you want your cat to stay inside then a dog-door is probably not a good idea. Or, I know there are some hard-flap ones that respond to electronic collars that animals wear, but a determined cat could probably still scoot out after the dog--maybe not. Hopefully someone will have a good suggestion about those doors for you.

Does the door have to allow access to the whole back yard? Can you make a turnout area that is fully fenced with a top on it? Then if the cats go out the door they won't get loose. Would have the added benefit of not allowing anything unwanted to get in.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

We have a cat door that Capri uses. :lol Well, she sticks her head out of it all the time. It's hysterical. On the outside it looks like we've mounted a dog head on the wall.... very close to the floor.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I would not risk it. Nor would I EVER allow my dogs to go in my yard without my being right here. I have a 13 year old Whippet too, btw :wub: He cannot hold it all night most nights (pees in his sleep) but is luckily fine in day time, plus I am home all the time.

I think the best bet would be to have a friend or neighbor stop in mid-day. Or a pet sitter? I know that adds up fast, though. I really REALLY like the idea of a topped off, closed in area- within the privacy fence. And dig proof. I'm paranoid! :unsure

I worried about this when I put in the dog door, but none of the cats has ever shown any interest in going out! I do have a way to put the dogs in one part of the house with the dog door and the cats in another part, but it hasn't ever been necessary.

Including the backyardin the "no kitty" training is a great idea!

Years ago, I put in a dog door, and the indoor cat was the first to master it. <_< She disappeared several days later, after initially just exploring the patio, and was never found. I wouldn't take that chance again. :(

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I too have a hound who, with health issues, really needs a dog door. I knew that my cat would go out the dog door. -_- but I'm committed to keeping my cat indoors. I decided to confine the cat to one part of the house (the bathroom with his litter box plus 2 bedrooms) so he would not have access to the dog door. I only leave the dog door open (and therefore the cat confined) when I'm away from home. When I get home, I latch the dog door, release the cat and assume my role as door person. :P This has worked out very well for about 5 years.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

I have two cats and would never put in a dog door for multiple reasons: because one of my cats would wander out there and get spooked by something and never be seen again (the other wouldn't go near it); the dog/cat interaction in the yard would be unsupervised; the possibility of other animals getting into my house; and the fact that there is a leash law for cats in my area just as there is for dogs (no cat or dog is allowed off property unless leashed or under owner's control - to prevent cat poop in gardens or cat bites/scratches to neighbor kids/dogs/cats and whatnot).

Any possibility, as others have said, to having a completely covered run accessible via dog door?

Guest Lannie79

You can by dog doors that have electronic chips in them. A chip is attached to the dog collar and the door will only open when the dogs collar is nearby. The cat wouldn't be able to open the door. However that wouldn't prevent the cat from slipping out at the same time as the dogs. It might be something to look into.

This is a sticky situation. I would concerned about a totally enclosed area (roof, too) because even tho everyone gets along, inside and out, if something went hinky outdoors, the cat wouldn't have an escape. I do have one that is an indoor/outdoor cat and one who thinks he wants to be because he loves chomping on grass. I can certainly keep the two culprits bellybanded everyday when I am at work, but I am not too keen on that, health-wise, either. I can deal the the little guy, but the 3 YO has me concerned. I am afraid that he will be like this for years! I do appreciate all the advise and suggestions. Keep them coming! :colgate

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest eaglflyt

I wouldn't consider using an electronic dog door with the activating collar on a greyhound. If the colllar slipped off (as we all know does happen on greys with their skinny heads) then your dog would either get locked inside or outside with no way to open the dog door.

Guest jfroggirl76

I too have a hound who, with health issues, really needs a dog door. I knew that my cat would go out the dog door. -_- but I'm committed to keeping my cat indoors. I decided to confine the cat to one part of the house (the bathroom with his litter box plus 2 bedrooms) so he would not have access to the dog door. I only leave the dog door open (and therefore the cat confined) when I'm away from home. When I get home, I latch the dog door, release the cat and assume my role as door person. :P This has worked out very well for about 5 years.

--Lucy

I think that you have it all figured out. I think would be the best option, if favor of the cat(s) & dogs.

--Lucy

I think that you have it all figured out. I think would be the best option, if favor of the cat(s) & dogs.

That's exactly what we do. The cats stay in the master bedroom during the day and whenever we can't supervise. Their litter, food, water and toys are in there (this also keeps the dogs out of the "sandy candy"). When we're there to chaperone, we close the dog door and let the cats roam the house. For added safety for canines and felines alike, the dog door opens into an enclosed run. When we have our new place built, the run will actually have a top on it. This will keep the cats from escaping if somehow they do get out, and it will also keep critters from coming in through our dog door. Believe me, you don't ever want a raccoon in your house.

I am still very diligent about not letting the cats get out. I know they would in a heartbeat if I let them. While both our hounds are cat-safe indoors, they have expressed a desire to kill outdoor cats. I'm not sure if they would do it to ours if they only got as far as the run, but prefer not to find out.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

You can by dog doors that have electronic chips in them. A chip is attached to the dog collar and the door will only open when the dogs collar is nearby. The cat wouldn't be able to open the door. However that wouldn't prevent the cat from slipping out at the same time as the dogs. It might be something to look into.

I don't have cats but did have a house guest who had 2. I had the electronic door put in and my first Grey wore the collar.

The collar never came off and I used that door and collar for a year.

Hated the door and hated the collar, and it was easy for the cat to slip out along with the dog so there's a risk

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

We have three dogs & two indoor cats. Two of our current dogs & all of my previous non-Grey dogs would chase outdoor cats even their own housemates. That reason alone would prevent us from having a dog door. There are also quite a few other reasons I will not have one. There are also some good reasons people choose them plus some precautions & set ups to make them safer. Still, we are not a household for which I think a dog door will ever be a good option. Cats are the #1 reason.

I don't have cats but did have a house guest who had 2. I had the electronic door put in and my first Grey wore the collar.

The collar never came off and I used that door and collar for a year.

Hated the door and hated the collar, and it was easy for the cat to slip out along with the dog so there's a risk

I had an actuated door, and knew it could potentially happen (the collar slipping off), but didn't think it would.

We used it for less than a year before it happened. :dunno

Thank goodness our neighbor had my cellphone number to contact me at work,

so they could let Trouper inside.

IPB Image

I have a dog door for my hounds and a cat who uses it as well. The cat seems to prefer to hang out in the yard even when she does use the door. Coming home after a long day at work and knowing that my dogs will have been able to do their business outside and not having messes in the house is a blessing to me.