Amputation For Smiley Tomorrow, Prayers Please!

Guest Smiley

Hoping everything went well.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greymama002

Many prayers & hopes for much more quality time for Smiley! At our greyhound picnic this summer, we met a very handsome & inspiring tripod named Flame who was going on this 3rd year post amp from osteo.

Guest DundeeToddsMom

Smiley and family are in my thoughts. Smiley will make a fast recovery and it won't even phase him that he is a tripod. I've been down that road before - when we picked Todd up from MSU he practically ran to the car - we opened the back of the Explorer and he jumped right in...it's amazing how well they do. Prayers to you and family.

Sending bountiful prayers for Smiley and his Mom and Dad. Travel safely.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I can't post from work, and I've been thinking about Smiley off and on all day. Wondering how the sweet boy is doing. Sending lots of prayers, and hoping for a good update.

Beth, when you get home, it might get worse before it gets better. But it WILL get better. Just remember that the pain from the osteo is gone. Come here and vent if you need to. And ask us anything. :grouphug

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Update on my Smiley. We headed down to OSU this morning and had a bit of a roller coaster ride. I had questioned a "lesion" my vet found on the x-ray of his "good" leg last week and had wondered if this would be an issue. We signed off on a CT study this morning (thank goodness) so Dr. Couto came out to discuss this lesion or whatever it is with us after the scan and while Smiley was still sedated, but prior to his amp. They wanted to do a bone marrow aspiration on this spot to ensure that we were not looking at cancer in his good leg. Of course I lost it-we finally made this decision yesterday and here we were again today. So the surgeon did the aspiration immediately and Dr. Couto read the path within 15 minutes. He saw NO cancer cells in the biopsy. He said he has never seen cancer in both legs presenting like this and it would be especially unusual because Smiley's lungs were totally clear (Thanks to the CT scan, we are very sure of this). He conferred with the whole team and they all felt that it was a 99%+ chance that this was NOT cancer and they all felt that going ahead with the amp was a good choice. So we did and will re-x-ray this leg in 6 weeks. That was such another tough bump in our road, but I trust that the advice we were given was very sound.

So we waited and waited, but with the CT snafu in the late morning, they didn't do surgery until 1:00 p.m. We wanted to wait to speak with the surgeon and make sure all was well before we made the drive home. Dr. Couto (ANGEL!) would buzz through the waiting room and update us and he assured us all was well. We finally got to speak to the surgeon at the end of the day and he said everything went well with no complications. He must have seen the panic on my face when he came out to speak with us because his first words were an emphatic "He's okay!". I grabbed him (in his bloody scrubs) for a big hug. Another angel! They will call us tonight with an update (I am anxious to hear how Smiley is) and again tomorrow in the a.m./p.m.

It's been an awful, emotional, and draining two days. We were lucky enough to be in the waiting room with Mary Pat (MP_4Pack) and Jane (JoeJoesmom) and we had our own little support group together. And of course,the OSU team were simply amazing. So very, very kind and compassionate. I cannot say enough.

So now we wait and pray that all goes well in the coming days. I am trying to rest up now to prepare for Smiley coming home. I know he'll need us. Thank you all so very much for your prayers and good thoughts. It brought me so much comfort-and I WAS reading your messages while I sat in the waiting room and it was like getting a big warm greyhound hug. Thank you so much. :blush

To end this update on a lighter note-can I just say that I'm crushin' on Smiley's surgeon?? Think Dr. Cullen from the Twilight movie! Sa-woooonnnnn! :lol

You had some really good news today, Beth! Now you can relax and get some rest :).

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Sending lots of hugs for you and best recovery wishes for Smiley. You must be beyond exhausted.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest mcsheltie

Oh my goodness, what a day. Do you remember the movie Groundhog Day, with the day that never ends? You have to be exhausted. I hope you can get some rest tonight. I am so glad everything went well. We will continue to pray for Smiley. Thanks for the update!

I'm so glad to hear that all is well after surgery.

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

I can only imagine how you feel and how exhausted you must be.

I hope you will be able to get some rest, breath a sigh of relief and get ready to bring your boy home.

Many prayers on this end, and Smiley has a very special priest from St Francis parish here in the desert praying for him and his mom and dad

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest wholovesskunks

Thank you so much for the update! I have been checking all day long to see how he was doing. Smiley will most certainly remain in my prayers and so will you!

Krista

Guest 3greysinPA

I'm so happy to read this update about Smiley ... praying for a quick recovery and that he gets home to you soon... Get some rest... and many many hugs to you and prayers for Smiley overnight. :hope:hope:hope:hope:candle:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

That sounds like a rough emotional day, good job Smiley dozed through it all. Glad to hear he did well, but I'm not surprised.

A huge hug for you and Pete. I'll be checking in from time to time for updates, nothing but good thoughts going out for an uneventful healing. Give Dr C a huge hug for me please.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.