Amputation For Smiley Tomorrow, Prayers Please!

Guest Smiley

Guest K9Cookies

Thanks for the great update! :yay Sounds like the rollercoaster of emotions will be well worth it! Can't wait for your next update! :blush

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So glad your baby boy is doing well! :yay Hopefully he'll be coming home soon and will continue his steady progress. :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I'm glad Smiley's doing okay. I didn't see him this morning, so maybe he actually walked to his potty.

Diamond did some random yelping the first month. I thought maybe her stitches were pulling, but Dr. Couto said it could be phantom pain. She hasn't done it in a while though.

I hope to see you tomorrow when/if I pick up Pearl.

How wonderful :clap

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

We just got our Saturday evening update which was good news, but a little disappointing too . . . Smiley's surgeon, the ER vet and our vet student all feel he is doing very well. He has minimal bruising, is on oral pain meds only, is standing more and vocalizing less and he even walked out to go to the bathroom! :colgate They said we could pick him up tomorrow, but feel that one more night could be beneficial in that he'll get even stronger and they can keep an eye on some seepage from his incision site. They left it up to us and though we are very sad that tomorrow is not the day we can pick him up, it's probably better to give him one more day there to fully make sure he will do well on the ride home and when we get him home. I'm sad, but trying to look at the positive side of this.

Another day to rest up would be good for us too. We are both exhausted still. Pete spent the day building the ramp and I spent the day cleaning, grocery shopping and getting the supplies we need for Smiley so that neither of us have to leave the house in the next week. I am also modifying an existing sling we have for him to help him get around. Neither of us is rested and we really need to be when we bring him home. Peanut is doing okay, still out of sorts but she is eating again. She got to test the ramp today and had no issue with it.

Here's a pic of the ramp before Pete added the pressure treated plywood and outdoor mats. It it just about finished as of tonight, he just has to add the railing to the sides.

DSC02574-1.jpg?t=1263693004

And just because, here's a pic of my boo bear Smiley:

DSC02469.jpg?t=1263693050

So that is the latest. We'll be given another update tomorrow and I am just trying to send Smiley good thoughts to know that we love him and miss him greatly and WILL be there for him soon!

Guest PhillyPups

:bighug

It will be for the best for Smiley and you all I am sure.

What a wonderful Daddy has to be out there building his ramp in all that snow. It speaks volumes of the love and dedication you both feel for Smiley!! :beatheart

Glad to see the good updates continuring Beth. I know this has to be horrible not having Smiley home. Seriously though I know this extra time at OSU will make a big difference when you do bring him home. I'm sad when a newly amputated hound goes home too early, it's so hard on everyone.

Love the ramp Pete, you are awesome! Hang in you two, your boy will be home soon, get some rest.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest bigorangedog

Good update!!! :colgate

I know you want him home so badly! We picked up Whitey after his 2nd night, and he was still having a very, very rough time. I think he was happy to be home, but no one got any sleep at all that night.

That's a great ramp your DH built! Nice to have a handy DH. :)

We are sending lots of good thoughts! He is soooooo cute!!!

jen

That's a fabulous ramp your DH is building! :gmark An extra day at OSU will give you and your DH a chance to get some much-needed rest before Smiley comes home. Holding your dear boy in my prayers for a restful night and excellent days ahead. :heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest DundeeToddsMom

The ramp turned out very nice - did you guys put the heat strips until the outdoor matting? You guys sure have a lot more snow than we do. Continued prayers for Smiley and you guys.

Deb, Tom & Toddy (my tripod)

The ramp turned out very nice - did you guys put the heat strips until the outdoor matting? You guys sure have a lot more snow than we do. Continued prayers for Smiley and you guys.

Deb, Tom & Toddy (my tripod)

Guest 3greysinPA

That ramp is really nice... your hubby is doing a fabulous job with it... we could use a ramp like that too... maybe we could hire him...my hubby is not handy with wood. :lol

I just love to see pics of your boo bear smiley. :inlove .. and I am saying lots of prayers for him.. and sending lots of hugs for you too.... :grouphug:grouphug:hope:hope

Just read this thread. I am so happy things are looking up. We went through the cancer with our lovely Rottie Erda. All systems were a go and she adapted so well, without a front leg. My husband and I on the other hand were so stressed. We had three more years of her love. You did the right thing. :colgate:colgate

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb