Pull The Canines Or Not?

Ouch. Hopefully in the long run she will feel much better!

I hope so too. She had to have a lot of sedation, so she is out of it right now. Poor girl's muzzle is uber swollen, and she is drooling. The vet said she had extra teeth, but they pulled 23 and she is toothless. The vet said once she really got in there, poor girl's mouth was so bad that she did take all 4 canines, and she is a pretty conservative vet.

I'm supposed to give her tramadol and antibiotics tonight, but she is so out of it there is no way she would take a mooshie and I am not supposed to open her mouth or lift her lips because of the sutures.

Can you crush tramadol and put it in canned dog food and not have them taste it?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ouch, poor thing. yes, you can crush tramadol. it's bitter so she may still taste it. If she's sleeping I wouldn't worry about it right now. She may wake up in the night or early am and need it.

My boy Hans, had his canines pulled too for a similar reason. He did fantastic!

wishing you all a restful night.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest FullMetalFrank

Oh, poor girlie. I hope her mouth heals quickly and uneventfully. I bet she will feel a whole lot better without constant dental issues; but yikes, 3.5 hours in surgery! :eek I am glad she is home and resting.

I hope Lucy is feeling better today :wub:

Poppy had many of her teeth removed just prior to coming to us but very shortly after she arrived, her top canines really needed to go as well. She had them out and I think the cavities were packed with something which eventually worked its way out (shudder). She was so much happier once those teeth were gone and she'd healed (which she did, perfectly) :)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest dwolfe711

After the bad teeth are gone she'll be so much happier. When Apollo came to us at age 12 his mouth was horrendous - he had already had 15 teeth pulled earlier. We brought him home and got him in for a dental five days later - he lost 19 more teeth and now has just two top canines and one lower plus two lower tiny teeth behind the canines. I wish they had taken all of his canines out - the gums were already recessed and just continue to get worse over time. But at 13.5 I wouldn't put him under just for his teeth - if he has to ever go under for anything else (heaven forbid!) I would ask them to remove all the teeth - he does fine with eating raw - I chunk up some things for him and he can handle ground meat without any problems. And that tongue hanging out all the time is very cute!! I do make or buy soft treats for him - he has trouble with hard ones.

I'm sure she will adapt just fine.

Donna

Sending just bucket-loads of gentle hugs, soft pillows, ice cream, and good drug-thoughts for poor Lucy!

Happy's snoot was so swollen after she got a bunch of teeth out, including two canines, it made her look like an English bull terrier. :lol But she healed up fine.

Hopefully Lucy will be milking the heck out of your sympathy begging for special food in no time! Try to remind her that with great strength comes great responsibility. ;)

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Sending just bucket-loads of gentle hugs, soft pillows, ice cream, and good drug-thoughts for poor Lucy!

Happy's snoot was so swollen after she got a bunch of teeth out, including two canines, it made her look like an English bull terrier. :lol But she healed up fine.

Hopefully Lucy will be milking the heck out of your sympathy begging for special food in no time! Try to remind her that with great strength comes great responsibility. ;)

Thanks everybody. I think that was the biggest shock is how swollen her face is. Actually the worst one was when they handed me the jar of her teeth, I almost passed out in the clinic.

Lucy is doing much better today, she is still out of it thankfully-but I have gotten 2 doese of tramadol into her without too much of a problem knock on wood. She had EVO slurry and ate almost the whole can, so I feel better that she got some liquid in her. I'm playing hooky from work today and watching her sleep and washing towels and bedding.

She just gave out a huge sigh and sprawled out. :)

oh the poor thing! :( :( :( :(

sending healing hugs her way!!! :grouphug:kiss2:hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest BlackandBrindle

Oh Lucy! Glad she ate and you got some meds into her.

Roy was horrified when I told him about the jar of teeth.

Lots of love to the lovely Lucy. :kiss2

Guest eaglflyt

Hugs to you and Lucy. I hope she feels much better each hour and that she feels great once she's all healed up ... hopefully in plenty of time for Christmas dinner. :xmas

OMG. They gave you her teeth in a jar? Without warning?? :blink I can see how that might make you a little light-headed!

I'm so glad to hear she's eating (well, slurping) and resting as comfortably as can be expected. Thanks for the update!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

I hope you're planning on putting the teeth under her bed so the tooth fairy can bring her some wonderful, soft treats to make her feel better!!

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

She is a million times better today. The swelling in her face is a lot better, it is worse in the morning-and she isn't drooling like she was. She ate like a champ this morning, even standing up. Her ears are up, eyes are bright and tail is starting to wag again. SHe is a face wiper, so this morning she even gingerly did a bit of that and she let me wipe her chin.

Yay, Lucy! Have been following this and am relieved that she's up and at 'em and feeling better! Praying for an uneventful recovery!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Aw! :wub: I'm glad she felt good enough to face-wipe! That sounds really good! She'll be her old self in no time at this rate. Whew!!

What ARE you going to do with all those teeth?

I have NO idea! lol. I didn't look too long, but most of them are icky anyway. I might save one, I have a Hogan puppy tooth and Sally puppy tooth...

Now I just have to figure out what to feed her for her birthday.

This was yesterday...which is a vast improvement from the day before.

035.jpg

I'll post some today pics tonight when they have birfday goodies.

Thank you everybody. I know all the good thoughts help her. :) I know they helped me!