Pull The Canines Or Not?

Lucy has stomatitis really bad, and it is time to do another dental. (Her last one was June and they pulled 12 teeth.) I think she has 12-14 left including her canines, but her mouth is so bad right now that even on a course of antibiotics her gums are bleeding with just a touch. She is miserable, and I have tried everything I could, but those teeth have to go. :(

She likes canned food, it it will be ok, but I know I have read not to pull the canines, but I can't remember why.

I've read posts where people have greys with no teeth at all and they are fine and happy, but was trying to remember why not to pull the canines before I talk to the vet again.

Her canines now, even if I brush and rinse every day have ulcers around the base. She is fine for about 2 months after the dental, and then I miss 1 day and it is an avalanche and I can't catch up and fix it. :(

TIA...

Edited by fritofeet

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is because of how deep they go, with that said, my 5 yr old male had an abscess on one and I had it removed, it has healed, but I can see why people would be concerned. Here is what it looked like:

100_2279.jpg

Katy....Mom to Retired Racers Hinder, John Carter, Hobsen, and Kodama, Galgo Espanol Gichin, and the Village Idiot...Teko
Missing terribly my fawn dog with the pretty ears Chance (Ale Seeyoulater) 6/21/05-6/23/15 Gotcha day 4/6/08 and my fuzzy baby boy Snacker (Tyville Snacker) 7/4/04-10/23/15, and all three of my IG babies, Isen, Tien, and Java.

How old is she? With Pablo we controlled it with pulsing antibiotics and low dose pred every other day. Hers sounds more severe.

She is going to be....(counting on my fingers here) 12? lol I thought she was 12 last year...obviously I can't count.

Pulse therapy isn't working. :( She can't keep her tongue in her mouth anyway, and since her stroke is is really a happy girl except when eating dinner. :(

Guest KennelMom

Vets don't like to pull 'em, esp if they aren't loose b/c they are HUGE teeth. There's a chance the gum won't heal (Erin had a hole in her upper gum for years) and there's a chance that the jaw can break, esp the lower jaw. when Grandpa had his last dental, the vet pulled all of his remaining teeth - the four canines and the itty bitties in between, top and bottom. He recovered quickly and was SO MUCH happier to have those bad teeth out of his head! I'd told the vet it was "now or never" so pull what she could b/c it'd be his last dental (he was nearly 14 at the time and had some other health issues). The vet said she felt like a butcher, but knew it had to be done.

I left the decision up to the vet to decide at "game time" if she felt comfortable removing all or some of the canines during the dental.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Pull the canines. I think they don't like doing it because of jaw formation and how deep they go, but her mouth won't get better while she has teeth to have tartar.

If you are going to get a dental for her anyway, and it's her last one, I'd just pull all the teeth and be done with it. :grouphug

Yikes! That's scary, but it obviously needs to happen so her mouth has a chance to heal. I seem to remember reading that the jaw can break during the surgery, which may be what you're remembering too? Anyway, keep us informed! Hugs to the lovely Lucy!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Have you tried low dose pred? When did she have her stroke?

I did Slick's when he was 13 1/2 and I'd not do it again at that age, or I'd try the heck out of other things. He was miserable.

I think Dr. Couto's other "fix" for stmatitis was dyclsporin. Because of her age I think I would go ahead and pull them now. You certainly don't want to wait till she is older.

edited: this reply box doesn't show for me at work so please excuse typos.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Yikes! That's scary, but it obviously needs to happen so her mouth has a chance to heal. I seem to remember reading that the jaw can break during the surgery, which may be what you're remembering too? Anyway, keep us informed! Hugs to the lovely Lucy!

I would say that it could break, but I was told the same thing about MY jaw when I had my two impacted wisdom teeth out...

Edited by Katy_3131

Katy....Mom to Retired Racers Hinder, John Carter, Hobsen, and Kodama, Galgo Espanol Gichin, and the Village Idiot...Teko
Missing terribly my fawn dog with the pretty ears Chance (Ale Seeyoulater) 6/21/05-6/23/15 Gotcha day 4/6/08 and my fuzzy baby boy Snacker (Tyville Snacker) 7/4/04-10/23/15, and all three of my IG babies, Isen, Tien, and Java.

Good luck, let us know how it goes. Zeke-aroni arrived here minus an upper canine that had been pulled after he caught it on a fence (?). I had both Zeke-aroni and LadyBug go in for their dentals (between them, 19 teeth were removed) and Zeke-aroni's other upper canine was pulled. (See pic on greyhoundgang.org contest.) He did fine, both with the proc and follow-up, although there was a quite large hole for a while. I'm thinking of making a necklace ... lol.gif

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest bigorangedog

My Chester had all but one of his teeth pulled, but he was younger at the time (only 7). Amazing that his teeth could've been so bad at that age. They left one bottom canine because the vet said, 'Amazingly that one tooth was in perfect shape.' A week after surgery he was eating kibble like everyone else. He looks goofy as heck and his tongue never stays in his mouth, but I think he is much happier.

Have them pull as many as they need to. Sprite did so much better without diseased teeth in her mouth, she lost most of them at 10 and made it to 15. The hole from the canine did take a while to heal, but that didn't stop her from chowing down. She also had a hole in septum which was discovered when they were flushing the hole once and it came out the other nostril, lol.

gallery_9376_3027_10401.jpg

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Solo - Flying Han Solo 3/20/11

Missing: Murphy, Shine, Kim, Sprite, Red Dog, Lottie & Harry

I haven't heard anything yet...I'm hoping they got a late start. :( I left the vet at 8:15 after the consult. The vet said the same thing...her worries were in taking the canines as well, she might leave the bottom ones but she would have to see how it went. I felt comfortable leaving Lucy with her, which is nice after the last couple of vet fiascos. Bleh, I hate this waiting though....