Taking Shadow To The E-vet

Meandmy

We noticed Shadow not acting quite right around lunchtime today. Before that he had been acting completely normal, but I came home with Munchkins from Dunkin Donuts and he wasn't interested - so unlike him! He seemed a bit out of it, but that happens with him periodically, so we just decided to watch him. He went outside and pooped and peed, I put him to bed and then I went to take a nap as I have been sick with the flu since last week.

At dinnertime he wasn't interested in eating, but had some water and went outside to potty. A little unsteady on his feet but not horrible. I put his pj's on and he's been resting in the living room with me.

Well now it's bedtime and he can't seem to keep his feet under him but doesn't want to lay down either. He's hanging his head low and panting, and his gums are pale. I'm waiting for DH then we are off to the evet.

I'm hoping it's nothing major, but better safe than sorry. Please keep my old man in your thoughts.

Edited by Meandmy

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

:goodluck

I hope it's minor and easily remedied.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Oh ... how horrible it is when a senior suddenly does this. Didn't he do something similar earlier in the year? I seem to remember a post about him being a bit doddery ... ?

Possibly his back is giving him more trouble for some reason. Sometimes the old guys move wrong or slip and it puts everything 'out' for them. :( Sending many good thoughts and prayers for Shadow. I hope it's something easy to fix! :goodluck:hope:bighug

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Thanks so much everyone for the well wishes. I'm sorry I didn't update last night. It turns out that it is, indeed, Shadow's back. He must have tweaked it sometime yesterday morning. The vet gave us tramadol (didn't want to give an NSAID without knowing liver and kidney values). He slept comfortably last night but is still moving pretty slow. I'll be giving a call to the regular vet this morning to see if anything else can be done to keep him more comfortable. I have Meloxicam on hand so we'll see if that can/should be added for a few days.

While we were at the e-vet someone brought in their lab who had just been sprayed full on in the face by a skunk, poor thing. By the time we left the smell had permeated everything - clothes, skin, hair. So extra laundry for me today. I can't imagine what their car must smell like!

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

I hope the painkillers help him. Backs are so painful ...

Did you ask the vet about chiropractic? It can help, providing the practitioners know what they're doing and he's already been checked by a vet. Some vets are reluctant to approve it though, on the basis that they fear it will make things worse instead of better.

Good luck with the old boy! :wub:

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop