Timeframe From Diagnosis To The Decision Day?

I am trying not to panic or lapse into a pile of screaming and crying. I will wait to do that when I go back to find out some more results in 10 days.

But, from the time of starting to limp to needing to make the decision of letting go, can anyone tell me approximately how long of a time frame am I looking at????? The pain pills seem to help Melissa some, but she has not stopped limping while on them. She is on Tramadol now. The area in question is her rt shoulder. I was hoping that at the tender age of 11 1/2, she would be spared the "Big C" and we would deal with whatever happened in her old age as needed. But to get this possible diagnosis where she is going to be in pain is almost unbearable to think about.

We just celebrated our first gotcha day in September.

I am just looking for some kind of ballpark timeframe so I can begin to deal with this terrible news.

Thanks for lending me an ear, and any knowledge help would be appreciated.

Sherrie :cry1

gallery_14635_3193_11799.jpg

Missing our pups at the Bridge--Amandas Kelsey 03-15-1996 to 05-02-2008; Melissa May 07-17-1998 to 11-23-2009; Emily's Maggie 10-05-1995 to 05-20-2010; Flying Kendra 01-13-2003 to 02-28-2011; Izzy (Smile Please) 06-27-2002 to 03-28-2012: Senator (EF Rob Statesman) 04-30-2000 to 12-30-2013: Secret (Seperate Secrets) 04-10-2003 to 08-03-2014: Tugboat (Thugboat) 06-07-2007 to 07-27-2015; Betsy (Bee Better Now) 12-04-2004 to 07-02-2017: Dottie ( Rooftop Spottie) 08-08-2004 to 05-11-2018:Abby (WW's Dear Abby) 11/2008-08/2020: Tiny (Piccadilly Girl) 08/2007-10/2020:  Tiller (Kelsos Tillerson) 10/30/2018: Heart (Lions Heart) 03/08/2014

I am so sorry. Was she actually diagnosed?

This is a very hard question to answer. My story- Polli started limping severely in Sept. 07. We had a full set of x-rays done and they were clear. After about 6 weeks of severe limping, it subsided and she basically did not limp. We kept her on 75mg of deramaxx every day which is an antiamflammatory and tramadol when needed.

11months later, she started limping again. We did not rush into the x-rays and waited about 3 weeks. I then thought it was time to re-x-ray but I didn't have the chance. She tripped on the steps and fractured the leg. We amputated the next day. she had 5 chemos and we lost her 5 months later.

She was just 10 years 2 months when we lost her.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

From the start of limping to the time of not being able to manage the pain, for my 3 was around 8 weeks.

They would limp, but not be in obvious pain (if that makes sense). Towards the end we did 100mg of tramadol every 4 hours. For Mahogany, we added some morphine and she was quite comofortable. I took both the girls before their leg broke.

Pablo -- couldn't manage his pain well. Might have been able to add morphine, but I was very concerned about his size and if he went down, it would have been hard for me to tend to him. He had no control of the leg after going thru xrays.

Make sure the xrays are read by a radiologist.

Sending prayers.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Flysmom

I am sorry about the possible diagnosis. I know how empty, helpless and frantic you must feel!!

There really is no time frame, each Cancer case is different and so is each dog. Some do fine for weeks on painmeds or life a happy life after amputation and some don't. I am sure lots of folks who have more sad experience will give you much better info/advice than I could.

You will know in your heart and Melissa will also let you know when it is time....

Guest Energy11

Max, 11.5, started with a slight limp. Because I worked for a vet, I brought him in, and my Dr. B., diagnosed him with the start of Osteo. He was started on Deramaxx, 75 mg/daily and Tramadol, 50 mg, three times a day, which seemed to manage his pain well. I had him almost three months after his diagnosis, with just the above. When he started hopping on three legs, and stopped eating, ... we knew it was time.

It is NEVER easy, and each dog deals with OS differently. Surely sorry you are going through this! Love, hugs and many prayers!

Guest SueG201

My first greyhound age 5 made it 5 wks from diagnosis, my second greyhound was diagnosed on a Friday, fractured his leg w hile getting ex-rayed and he took him home for the weekend to say goodbye to him, he was just 2 wks shy of 10, Worst day of my life

when he fractured his leg at the vets office

Sherrie and Jim,

My prayers for your Melissa and of course you all. I know it's so hard to have that hanging over you but just try your hardest to enjoy the moments. Melissa's so lucky to have ended up with you all and Kendra.

I have been down this road to many times and I won't go in to days or weeks or months. I know you want to know but IT is completely different with every dog and you never know. That's why I say enjoy the moments and cherish the time. It seems like time is the thing we never have enough of. 100 years wouldn't be enough, you know?

What I did many years ago was to think about what I wanted for my greys and if I had to make the decision how long I would wait, and what I'd base my decisons on etc. I'm a true believer in the theory of better a day early than a day late. I think it's a smart idea to know in advance what you would want because when you are thrown in to it and your emotions take over it's hard to do.

Get the X-rays read from a Radiologist. I always get 2 opinions two if I feel that I need that to make peace.

Try not to travel down that road if it's not necessary. It could be so many things....

Keeping you close in thought. Melissa is a tough girl.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Gogh started limping on Friday January 16, 2009. He was staying at the adoption kennel while I was at my sister's after a bad fall. They took him to their vet on Monday the 19th & he was xrayed & the vet there saw the tumor which was by then already showing. I was called on the 20th & given the bad news. I went to my home on the 22nd & my friend Cynde brought Gogh home on the 23rd. In the meantime, Vicki the director took the xrays to my vet who studied them & we talked on the 22nd. On Monday the 26th xrays of his chest was done, which at that time show a nodule in his left lung so a biopsy was not done. The tumor was growing very vet & by February 15th it was huge. On the next morning, Feb 16th, I had Gogh put to sleep. He had cried all night on the 15th & had a total of 6 Tramadols that day. Nothing stopped the pain. So basically a month.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

The Oncologists quote a median of 2 months with pain management alone.

It sounds like her pain isn't quite controlled. They usually prescribe a pretty low dose of Tramadol to start. Check with the Vet about increasing it. In addition, a combination of meds can provide better control. An NSAID is usually added next.

Oh my gosh - I am so sorry. I don't know how long - for Suzy and I it will only be two weeks since she was diagnosed but I knew probably 6 weeks before theat.

All I can tell you is celebrate every day - each precious moment that you have.

My heart goes out to all of you.

Damn I hate tthis disease!

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Am I missing the part where you have a diagnosis of cancer? Or are you just preparing yourself for the worst?

Argh! I join everyone else in hoping for the best.

Hugs from George and me.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

In my very limited experience, it seems that those with tumours in their front shoulders have a short time. It just seems that it is much harder for them to spare that shoulder in their daily activity. Jack had 6 months with his back knee tumour.

Having said that I hope with all my heart, that Melissa is spared this diagnosis. :grouphug

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest Ohiogreymom

My Reggie's tumor was more advanced than my vet thought at first. When OSU looked at the xrays, they said it had almost eaten thru the bone already, and the leg would most likely break soon, so I chose to let him go. :( It was a little over 2 weeks after diagnosis, but his leg had gotten hot and swollen, and even with the meds, he cried every time he changed position. It's SO hard to see them hurt and not be able to help them. I'll say prayers your girl has anything else! :bighug:bighug

I think it can be different for every dog. Some tumors are more aggressive. My experience for Thunder, who had osteo in his rear leg) was 6 weeks from initial limping until I let him go. I agree too that osteo in the shoulder seems much more difficult to control pain. My choice was not let Thunder be in pain that couldn't be controlled or let the osteo progress to the point his leg might break. I couldn't have lived with either of those things when I couldn't change the ultimate outcome.

I'm so sorry.

Edited by Chicocat

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Mine have all differed with the shortest being two weeks after diagnosis and the longest being almost one year. With the one year, chemo/treatment was an option for us. With the first one, I am still wracked with guilt (tearing up right now) as I did not balance very well quality of life and wanting my special boy not to be gone. With each diagnosis (only three in total), we are getting better with that balance and truly looking at what is best for the pet. Susan said it best in another thread, no one has ever complained that they let their dog go too early. Melissa and your family are in our thoughts.

Michelle

gallery_17856_3310_663.jpg

Isabella and Bunny da Kitteh, Angel Kitty da Hownd, Angel Cocoa, Angel Bodhi, Angel Cali, and Angel Remy