What Would Be Your First Thought?

I know this is vague, but if your Grey's numbers came back like this, what would be your very first thought?

Creat 2.8

BUN 88

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Does the pup have any of these clinical signs? increased drinking, increased urination, vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration,

anorexia, weight loss and lethargy.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Does the pup have any of these clinical signs? increased drinking, increased urination, vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration,

anorexia, weight loss and lethargy.

Weight loss, and lethargic and stopped eating

Kidney disease? Has this pup had a first-pee-of-the-morning uninalysis to determine among other things whether the kidneys are concentrating the urine?

My first thought Mary was kidney failure

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

If dog hasn't had symptoms prior and this came on suddenly, one of my first thoughts would be gastrointestinal problem. Internal bleeding, dehydration, etc. can mess with those values. Hope pupper can get to a vet and be checked out, and hope it turns out to be acute and easily treated.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest KyGrey

Sounds kind of like Lee Lee's but his BUN was not THAT high. His was in the 40's and they leaned toward kidney disease.

Please say this is not any of your dogs. :hope

I'd get a repeat of the test results but, initially this is indicating that waste products are building up in the bloodstream and this could be a symptom of kidney issues. The breath may also have an ammonia smell.

Someone suggested a specific gravity of the urine (first morning catch) and that is a test that I would also do. This would indicate if the kidneys are able to concentrate the urine.

I'm assuming that this dog is already at the vets.

I googled those numbers and found this: from a yorkie board

Scroll down a bit on this one even though it's for cats: here

Try this

Very old cases on Rimadyl affects: here

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

This is me asking out of guilt. These were Misty's numbers the week I let her go and for some reason it's sneaking up on me and I'm feeling guilty.

I never posted asking and just feel the need to now

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Don't second guess yourself Claudia. You were a great mom to her. I think we all wonder if we did the right thing or could have done more.

You gave her good care and you gave her love.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest KyGrey
This is me asking out of guilt. These were Misty's numbers the week I let her go and for some reason it's sneaking up on me and I'm feeling guilty.

I never posted asking and just feel the need to now

You should not let yourself feel guilty. I know you miss her but you did the right thing. You talked about the look she gave and the going into the bathroom. There were a few other things that she never did before and I can't remember them right now. Don't be second guessing yourself. :bighug :bighug

Guest Energy11

Yes, you did the right thing. PLEASE don't beat yourself up. You know that this second-guessing is part of the grieving process. Love you!

My first thought was "going into kidney failure".

It does no good to second guess yourself. :grouphug

It's non productive, I know that in my head, but I guess I'm feeling that I should have pushed my vet more than I did, because I felt that we were headed down this road.

But you're right, doesn't do any good now

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest Energy11

Your Misty had A LOT going on ... A lot, as you know. (health-wise).

You need to TRY to focus on all the GOOD TIMES you two had together :-)))) I mean, look at me ... I wasn't even there when Energy went :-((( But, he helped my Bob through his last days with the cancer, and helped ME heal, afterward. He was my inspiration to adopt Curfew and the others, plus the two seniors.

I am sure you and Misty helped eachother in many ways too!

She was loved, and I am POSITIVE, she had a GREAT life, too! :-))))

Claudia...you went above and beyond with Misty. Do you know how many people might have given up and let her go before she was ready because they couldn't deal? You were admirable and courageous, and when it was her time you were strong enough to let her go. You did right by her...you really did. I know that grief can bring guilt, but please know that I admire how you handled everything with her. Misty was ready to go...her body was failing her. There is, unfortunately, nothing that you or anyone else could have done differently. Please take comfort in that. :bighug

Claudia...you went above and beyond with Misty. Do you know how many people might have given up and let her go before she was ready because they couldn't deal? You were admirable and courageous, and when it was her time you were strong enough to let her go. You did right by her...you really did. I know that grief can bring guilt, but please know that I admire how you handled everything with her. Misty was ready to go...her body was failing her. There is, unfortunately, nothing that you or anyone else could have done differently. Please take comfort in that. :bighug

:nod Very well put. :nod

tiny hada siggy.png

:nod Very well put. :nod

I also agree! Take your mind from that place, we've all felt it at one time or another. You did everything for Misty, just as we did for Emmy. There was nothing left to be done but do right by both girls.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest KyGrey

As you have said to me, "Don't make me come over there and slap you"! In fact, I think I was told that just today. :lol

Seriously, Shannon said everything I would have said and more. STOP beating yourself up! :bighug

The others have expressed the support I feel, so I won't add to it, except: I am soooooo relieved you don't have another pupper in trouble.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Libby's test results were very similar to those right before we had to let her go last year. She had been dealing with kidney disease quite well for many months, but then had a really routine wound stitch just blow up with a bleeding disorder. The drugs to help complicated her kidney disease and she went down hill from happy and healthy to IV's and sedation at the evet in a week.

We went in to see her and the vet brought in results from that morning. Libby looked terrible, and when she laid down and threw up in my lap we knew it was time for her to go. I'm crying as I type this, and have the same worries that I didn't do everything I should, even though I KNOW KNOW KNOW it was the right thing.

We couldn't have loved a dog more than her - a feeling I know you had for Misty too! I still miss her every day. It just makes me love the ones at home even more.

Hugs and thinking about you!

chris :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly