Mast Cells In The Bloodstream

The vet called today regarding Penny's lab work. We'd had some panels done because of her recurring bouts with poop trouble and other gastrointestinal upsets. There are many mast cells in her blood. The vet wouldn't come out and say "Cancer," because she is getting another vet to look at the slides for a second opinion, but she mentioned possible liver or spleen involvement. I did a consult with Dr. Google and he tells me this is a bad sign. Other things are starting to make sense in this context as well-- she's lost 5 lbs. for no reason, doesn't want to run anymore, is more sluggish about getting up in the mornings, etc., though I had just written that off as age finally catching up to her, as she is 11 now.

Anyway, I guess I just needed to get my fears out and ask for a little light and good wishes for my pal Penny. She's been my best friend for 9 years and I can't imagine how I could get along without her. I also thought maybe someone might have more experience with a similar situation and could share his or her story with me.

Thank you.

Edited by Penelopesslave

Melissa, Penelope (LC's Wild Rose)

Missing sweet Bell (EMK Bolivar Bell). I'll never forget you.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

{image removed, taller than 150px}

Guest greydogluvr

No advise here, but I do have plenty of hugs and prayers coming your way. :grouphug:hope

Edited by greydogluvr

Hope it turns out to be nothing much.

Keep in mind that mast cells aren't found only in tumors and such. They have a role in things like immune system response to inflammation, parasites, etc.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Contact OSU (Dr Couto`s team) Dr Couto himself is a hematologist and an oncologist. You`ll find the link for contact info at the bottom of my siggy.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

sending prayers for Penny and you! :hope :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Keep in mind that mast cells aren't found only in tumors and such. They have a role in things like immune system response to inflammation, parasites, etc.

What Batmom said. Healthy bodies need mast cells. Before you panic, you need to know what these ones are up to, and why they're there in such numbers. I hope that it turns out to be nothing more than an inflammatory response of some kind. :goodluck

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

What Batmom said. Healthy bodies need mast cells. Before you panic, you need to know what these ones are up to, and why they're there in such numbers. I hope that it turns out to be nothing more than an inflammatory response of some kind. :goodluck

When Buck had his tumor surgery they said mast cell can come from bee stings, etc. too but I don't know the particulars.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Adding my good thoughts as well for your beautiful girl. Hope you get some good results back soon.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

You might want to talk to your vet about starting benedryl to stop any histamines that may be present, and also something like prilosec, tagamet or zantac to keep the mast cells from causing stomach ulcers. If possible I would also talk to the vet about an ultrasound of intestines, spleen, liver and kidneys, and a needle aspirate of the lymph nodes. Give her a good going over to check for lumps. Flippy's mast cell tumor was under her collar and not in a place I would normally check for lumps...I just happened to change collars and found it.

Don't panic until you get a definitive diagnosis because mast cells can be present for many reasons...you just want to protect her body from having them settle some place.

Good thoughts and prayers for the two of you.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

The second opinion is in, they agree that the cells are mast cells and probably indicate some kind of internal cancer. The good news is that the results are so unusual that the lab volunteered to re-do the blood work for free. So we are off to the vet this morning to get another blood draw done. I am hoping beyond hope that this is all a lab error!

Melissa, Penelope (LC's Wild Rose)

Missing sweet Bell (EMK Bolivar Bell). I'll never forget you.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

{image removed, taller than 150px}

paws crossed!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow