Need Thoughts About What I Might Do To Help Beau

Everyone knows that Beau has had some issues for some time.

First it was his leg and the orthopedic surgery. (07)

Then it was his right hip which no one could pin point what the problem was, including my vets, OSU and Cornell. (07-08)

Then the IBD and addressing that. (08-09)

Then we lost Polli- his momma and right after that, he somehow caused trauma to his toe.

Although the vet said the swelling is 50% better to his toe although still VERY bruised, he is having hip issues on his LEFT side now.

When we leave him in the morning, he is lying in a bed, body in the bed, head on the floor. When I come home to let him out 4-5 hours later, he has not moved. I walk in and in a very excited voice, Hey Beau Beau- mommy’s hoooooome! He doesn’t even raise his head to acknowledge me. At all.

Today when I left work to go home to let him out and to feed him, I fed him first because he would not budge. Then when I finally coaxed him up, he walked over to another bed to sit down. I put a leash and collar on him to lead him out the door and he just stood there IN THE RAIN about to lay down in the rain.

I reattached the leash and walked him down the 4 steps to the lawn and he did his business and came back to lay back down in the bed, head on the floor.

What else can I be doing to make things better for him? His bandage should be coming off Sunday. I am massaging his hip with trameel lotion which is an antiimflammatory and I am giving him warm compresses. He can not take any NSAIDs because he is on pred. He does go to acupunture. He had stopped due to the abdominal surgery and has been back 2 weeks in a row now.

I need to have my Beau back, the one that used to jump me when I came home. The one that used to stick his tongue down my throat when he could, the playful, silly boy, I love and miss so much.

Losing Polli was bad enough, but losing Beau- is just not acceptable.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Robin, I have been thinking of you and Beau. Reading this is just heartbreaking. I am sure he must be missing Polli, too. I don't know what else could be causing such a deep depression. I know he has a lot on his plate right now, between his hip and his toe and his IBD, but he wasn't like this before.

I don't know what to suggest, but I am sending lots of good thoughts your way... :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Feel better, Beau. :sad1

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

This just sounds heartbreaking! It really does sound like he is deeply depressed, I don't know if there are meds that can help dogs in this situation like there are for people. If he is missing Polli, would it help to let him have something that smelled like her? I hope someone can come up with some better ideas!

Robin, I am so sorry that Beau is not doing well. You have said that he is very sensitive - I wonder if the bandage on his toe is just really throwing him off. (From the photo it seems fairly large covering a good portion of his leg.) When Tasha dislocated her toe a few years ago, she was in a cast for a week. She rarely moved much, we had to lift her to get outside. She just hated this thing on her leg. She looked depressed all the time (which really piled on the worry and guilt for us). The day is came off it was like she came to life again.

I know Beau has hip issues and other problems but I wonder if he is thrown off by this bandage which forces him to walk and move differently. On top of missing having Polli around this may be hard for him to deal with.

Just a thought - hopefully when it comes off you will see a change in his behavior.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest koolaidnconner

Are you sad and depressed around him Robin? Dogs do pick that up from thier owners. Maybe making sure he gets up and comes with you whereever you are in the house. Reassure him everything is ok. Get that leash and bring him to the living room, kitchen to be with you so you can keep an eye on him, try and get him out of that state of depression.

Hugs for Beau and you. :grouphug

Wish we could help.........it's so sad Beau is unhappy.

Normally I'd advocate Bach Flower remedies but with his poorly tum that's probably not such a good idea.

Maybe use some essential oils to put on his bedding or burn in a candle to lift his and your mood - read up about them on the internet or ask an expert and see what you think....

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Are you sad and depressed around him Robin? Dogs do pick that up from thier owners. Maybe making sure he gets up and comes with you whereever you are in the house. Reassure him everything is ok. Get that leash and bring him to the living room, kitchen to be with you so you can keep an eye on him, try and get him out of that state of depression.

I wonder about this, too.

Even though you miss Polli terribly, you MUST not let Beau see that...he must "know" that everything will be OK, and he looks to you to let him know that. He is obviously very sensitive, and with all his health issues, he doesn't need to worry about you, too!

If this isn't the case, forgive my presumption...I really have no other ideas. :(

I agree, maybe once that bandage is off he'll do better....

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

I wonder about this, too.

Even though you miss Polli terribly, you MUST not let Beau see that...he must "know" that everything will be OK, and he looks to you to let him know that. He is obviously very sensitive, and with all his health issues, he doesn't need to worry about you, too!

If this isn't the case, forgive my presumption...I really have no other ideas. :(

I agree, maybe once that bandage is off he'll do better....

Nope- we are very upbeat around Beau. We were in shambles last week, but we have been back to "normal" in and around the dogs. That is not it, I am 100% for sure. He is reassured, I lay with him, massage him, talk the talk to him. He is not interested in the leash and if I put it on, he will just lay there. I won't drag him. If we really need him to get up and go out to pee, we have to use a very firm voice so he knows we are not kidding around, but we don't like having to be like that with him, espeically now.

I am at a loss. We have thought of everything unless there is something we missed.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Poor Beau! I wish I had something to offer, but I don't know what you can do that you haven't already tried.

Sending prayers for all of you. Hopefully, he will be himself soon.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

I've tried to keep up with everything you've done for Beau so far, but maybe I missed this. Have you tried a chiropractic vet? I don't have any experience, I'm just wracking my brain for ideas.

Off topic a bit, but I always keep meaning to ask if Teddy and Chloe are doing okay through all that's been going on lately? I assume no news means good news, but thought I'd ask after them all the same.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Does he/Did he like to go for rides and playdates? Would going to a dog park or someone's yard lift his spirits?

yes, he likes going to someones house who has other greys, but he never plays. He watches and right now he can't do too much walking.

I've tried to keep up with everything you've done for Beau so far, but maybe I missed this. Have you tried a chiropractic vet? I don't have any experience, I'm just wracking my brain for ideas.

Off topic a bit, but I always keep meaning to ask if Teddy and Chloe are doing okay through all that's been going on lately? I assume no news means good news, but thought I'd ask after them all the same.

No chiropractic, just acupunture.

Teddy and Chloe are wonderful.

Is there anyway you or your husband can take him to work? Maybe a change of scenary? Once his foot heals some regular walking may brighten his spritis.

We can't and even if we could, he would HATE it. Beau likes to be home. He gets very stressed out even when we went to our PA house which we made so cozy, same beds as at home. Food bowls, the same, even set up the same way in the kichen. We would go and get there on a Friday afternoon and he would whine until we got into the car to go home Sunday.

We are scheduled to do our FIRST big GH event, GIG. But if he can't walk, we are not going. I am concerned about him in a hotel room for 2 nights. He is a real complainer so bringing him to work would not be a good idea!!!

when does Beau get his toe "freed"? What exactly is wrong with it? Maggie had a dislocated toe so bad that it was at a right angel. Really looked gross. She hated the splint, then went to the soft wrap which made her then try to gnaw her own foot off! All this in less than 48 hours. I took the d___ wrap off, leash walked her even through the house at meal times and used a therapaw. She was so much happier and it healed just fine. I feel so bad for Beau with all he has gone through. Maybe it is just the 'straw on the camel's back' for him. I hope you get your boy back soon!

Guest TBaxes

We know what you are going through, yes, it is heartbreaking. And it hits home with us as we lost our Bubba a week before you lost Polli. Our Annie was undoubtedly depreesed, and it lasted for a week or more. Although she seems so sad still sometimes when she is laying around, she now jumps up to greet me when I come home and does the "Annie dance" around the house. She didn't do this for a weeek after losing Bubba, but with encouragement, she is starting to be her old self again.

Don't give up on Beau, I think it may be a good idea to put the leash on him and keep him close, continue to be upbeat, and we'll hope he perks back up.

Our best thoughts our with you!!!

Tom & Pat

Guest nerak254

Wierd as it may sound, maybe a change of scenery for a few days would help. When Jessica died, Missy was beside herself with grief. Unfortunately for us, Jessica died on Tuesday and my daughter was getting married on Saturday. I had made arrangments earlier for them to go to Missy's foster home for the weekend, so Friday I took Missy alone. When I picked her up on Monday she was more like herself. Just a thought.

You could try a "DAP" collar to see if that helps with some of his depression. Any recent bloodwork to see if anything has changed? Also if he is still having ortho issues... Dr. Dyce at OSU is the best I've ever seen.

If you believe in them... you could always have him evaluated by an animal communicator if there is a good one in your area.

Wish I had some earth shattering idea but it sounds like a tough one. :(

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest FullMetalFrank

I am guessing that maybe with the toe now in addition to everything else, maybe getting up and going out might just not seem all that appealing to him. He's had a rough time, for sure. Is there anything besides an NSAID that you could try for pain? Outside of that, remaining upbeat and strong for him and keepin the faith that he will get better is always good medicine. Sending healing thoughts and prayers.

Any recent bloodwork to see if anything has changed? Also if he is still having ortho issues... Dr. Dyce at OSU is the best I've ever seen.

If his bloodwork is good, I would leave him be for another week or two. Just go about your normal routine with him and the rest of your pack.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.