Rainey Needs Your Prayers Again! :(

When I got home from work today, there was crap all over the floors. With a heavy heart I quickly realized it was the paper from heads of garlic :( :( She had, for some reason after almost 4 years of it being there, decided the garlic/chili pepper braid that hung on the was was food :( Garlic, like onions, are very toxic to dogs (and cats too).

from what I can tell, she went through between 4 and 6 whole HEADS of garlic -- I don't really know how much of the cloves she ate, the thing is like 8 years old and the cloves are shriveled up and hard as rocks (but doesn't matter if they're fresh, dried, whatever, toxicity is still the same) -- but I think she got quite a bit :(. Plus she ate the dried chili peppers! I called the vet immediately, who looked on the internet then called me back and had me call the A.S.P.C.A. Poison Hotline. The vet there said that garlic causes anemia but it could take a day or even several for it to hit. If it does, she has to have a blood transfusion to save her life :( Because of her recent surgery for bloat (and gastoplexy) they didn't want me to induce vomiting, so we're screwed :cry1

They said to look for signs of lethargy, pale gums and most important red urine, as the hemoglobin will get into the urine -- and if that happens she has to get the transfusion :cry1 :cry1 I'm so worried about my little girl :( I honestly don't know how much more of this I can take :sad1 :sad1 I'm bringing her in tomorrow at 1pm so they can at least check her blood at this point (they called and said they want a urine sample, too). They said there's no reason to bring her in today since it can take a while to take affect (unless she gets really lethargic, etc.)

I don't know WHAT her problem is! We went out for the 1st time on Friday (the 20th) after being housebound with her for 20 days due to the surgery, and came home to her having destroyed/eaten an antique wooden box that was in the kitchen (size of like a recipe card box). She's been crapping that out since Saturday! :(

I know I bothered all you great folks just a couple weeks ago for prayers but if you could spare some more Rainey sure could use them :cry1 :cry1

-------------------------

just a quick update at 10 pm....

so far she seems to be holding her own -- not herself at all but no vomiting and her urine still looks clear (nothing like following your hound out in winter with a flashlight to try to see what color her pee is ). It is a bit hard to tell if it's 100% yellow but it seems okay for now....

they said it usually takes up to a day to start causing a problem (and up to several) so I'll be staying home with her yet again tomorrow -- if she started going into anemia while we weren't there...well, just not going to go there. Hopefully Bruce can take off a day this week as well -- after being at home for 8 out of 12 working days with her surgery, I'll be lucky to keep my job at this point

thanks to all for your prayers, I pray she gets through this okay The hardest part is just sitting here, waiting -- to see if she gets sick. It's killing me that there's NOTHING we can do except wait. It really stinks :(

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if giving some kind of laxative would speed things along, thus allowing less time for the garlic to absorb...? Question for a vet. :dunno

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

:goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Rainey, you pinead. Couldn't you have stuck to wood boxes and such?

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Rainey stop scaring your mom and dad like this. Sending all our prayers.

Jerrie & Rich

Nicklaus (Okie Nicklaus) 4/1/95- 3/21/07, Alexandra (Noble Mason)7/22/99-6/27/11, Tsar (Noble Pratt)7/22/99-11/25/10, Tully (Noble Tully) 7/22/99- 11-3-06, Sunny (Primary Buddy)6/7/08-3/16/12 Sasha ( Rooftop Silvey ), Screamer (Rooftop Screamer), Gil's Chico (Chico), JD Rip Tide (Remy), Gypsy ( Gypsy Dancer), Foxy (WTD Right Right)

Greyhound Alliance: www.greyhoundalliance.org

Sunburst Project: www.sunburstproject.org

Mega prayers for Rainey.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

The urine test stix have a hemoglobin patch on them -- check with your local pharmacy to see if they can order them for you. I have included a web site link so you know what they look like.

http://www.anytestkits.com/utk-blood-in-urine.htm

This way you can check the "first morning speciman" and if there is a problem, you can catch it as early as possible.