Jack Again!

Hoping your sweet old guy is feeling better and is back on the road to good health. :hope:heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much for all your good thoughts and kind words, and for sharing your experiences with me.

When we called the vet for info, we were told only that we had an appt for evening surgery. Sounded like bad news, and it was. The vet didn't think he was in any shape to take sedation, let alone GA, so he did what he could without either. He managed to get some decent x-rays, took bloods, did a thorough exam (though sadly not the larynx), but failed to get a good ultrasound of his heart, though he wasn't too worried about that, he asked if we could take him back for another go in a few days.

The result is a diagnosis of airway disease. His bronchioles are thickened and have calcium deposits, and there's very little black in the lung area - and black is good, because it means air is there. His heart seems not too bad for his age but is struggling right now because of the lack of oxygen. This is not a good diagnosis.. it's similar to emphysema in people. The alveoli where the gaseous exchange is supposed to take place are deteriorating, so that the lungs cannot get the air into the body properly.

He has been put on diuretics to reduce the fluid build up, because Bob (our vet) thinks that the spasms are caused when thick fluid from his lungs gets caught in his larynx. He also has a bronchodilator (theophylline), an anti-inflammatory (Previcox - he was already on this for arthritis), a heart support drug that we hope will be temporary (Fortekor), and a long acting antibiotic in case there is infection complicating things (one of the new generation penicillin/cephalexin type).

He's resting quietly right now, and seems very content. But as soon as he tries doing anything much, it all starts again, and I'm very scared for him. We're hoping we can get it all under control and managed with these drugs, which Bob thinks may take a week. If we can, we can keep him happy and get him back on short walks again for probably another few months. If we can't, I'm afraid it's the end of the road for our beautiful and charming boy.

Please continue to send good thoughts and prayers, or white light, or whatever you normally do. My little Pirate need them. :hope:wub::hope

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Sending lots of prayers, and hugs for yourself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Aawww! :( Well, going to keep positive thoughts flowing for your "little pirate" buddy! *Comfort and easy breathing, smooth airways drinking in the oxygen, everything flowing and healthy! :nod Comfort and easy breathing, smooth airways drinking in the oxygen, everything flowing and healthy! :nod Comfort and easy breathing, smooth airways drinking in the oxygen, everything flowing and healthy! :nod *

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Sending prayers and white light for Jack. Kiss him for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Thank you so much for all your good thoughts, hugs, scritches, prayers and chants!

Jack had a peaceful night, got up and ate breakfast - and his truckload of pills - and has wandered around the garden twice, all so far without the horrible panting or wheezing. :goodluck

He seems to get so much worse as the day goes on, even though all he does is sleep. :( Maybe I should go to bed earlier to encourage him to settle? He's sleeping on the floor with me at the moment.

He just doesn't understand why he isn't being taken out for walks anymore. :(

Guest vahoundlover

When Bossy first lost use of his backend, he wanted to get up and go go go go. It was so hard to try to talk him into staying down and resting.

I am so sorry Jack is going through this. :grouphug

Not the same as a walk, but if he is a dog who likes food, would it be satisfying for him to play a sedentary game with you indoors? Little bits of lunchmeat hidden under a row of cups lined up in front of him?

I'm so sorry he isn't well. :(

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Keeping him quiet without getting him bored, that is the hardest thing, vahoundlover, and with both the legs AND the breathing to contend with, you'd think he'd be content to rest all day, but as he's feeling a bit better, he wants to do things. :(

Not the same as a walk, but if he is a dog who likes food, would it be satisfying for him to play a sedentary game with you indoors? Little bits of lunchmeat hidden under a row of cups lined up in front of him?

I'm so sorry he isn't well. :(

Thanks, Jey. :)

I'd actually been thinking of getting him one of the treat balls, just before all this (the legs and the breathing thing) started. We were actually thinking he was getting a little tubby and maybe we should at least make sure he didn't put any more weight on. I asked both the acupuncture vet and our own vet, and they both said for an old greyhound he's fine. They wouldn't want to see him get any heavier, but at the moment he's okay.

I don't want to make him get excited, because that would be bad for him right now, but I might go see what is on offer at the pet store. If I can find something to give him some fun while he eats, and eats a little less for the time spent doing it, I'll be very happy!

I could try the cups - he's not very good at getting the stuff himself, but I could maybe make it fun for him. ;)

Cheap treat toy for a dog who isn't very good at these things and/or doesn't want to move around much: When I crate Zema (not very often these days), I give her a rolled-up hand towel with an assortment of teensy little treats in it. She has a treat-ball, too; that one rolls around on the floor and dispenses small kibbles or other hard things. You have to watch that it doesn't get stuck under the furniture.

Good luck finding something that works well for your boy and makes him happy!

Judy, I am just now seeing this. I am so sorry that Jack is going through this. I have no advice but wanted to send :grouphug and :hope that something can be figured out for sure and a treatment plan set up for him. I know you took the video to show his breathing but I noticed that he is getting around pretty good. He lays down somewhat easier than Lee. Having an old guy myself my heart goes out to you. Please keep us informed about Jack. Give him a hug from us here in the just getting over frozen zone.

Cheap treat toy for a dog who isn't very good at these things and/or doesn't want to move around much: When I crate Zema (not very often these days), I give her a rolled-up hand towel with an assortment of teensy little treats in it. She has a treat-ball, too; that one rolls around on the floor and dispenses small kibbles or other hard things. You have to watch that it doesn't get stuck under the furniture.

Good luck finding something that works well for your boy and makes him happy!

I'll try that! And today I got him a soft rubber ball with huge holes in it, it's like a honeycomb pattern. I'm sticking quite large things into it to give him the idea. But I'll definitely try the towel. Or I could just hide them in his bed! :lol

Thanks. :)

Judy, I am just now seeing this. I am so sorry that Jack is going through this. I have no advice but wanted to send :grouphug and :hope that something can be figured out for sure and a treatment plan set up for him. I know you took the video to show his breathing but I noticed that he is getting around pretty good. He lays down somewhat easier than Lee. Having an old guy myself my heart goes out to you. Please keep us informed about Jack. Give him a hug from us here in the just getting over frozen zone.

The acupuncture really seemed to help him! Sadly, on our own vet's advice, we've cancelled this Monday's session, but we want to get his breathing stabilised before we put him in the car and take him on 3-4 hour outings. :( He does say he wants him to continue with it though, because he feels it will help his back end a lot. :thumbs-up

I'm glad you have your heating back!!

Thanks, everyone, once again, for all the good thoughts and hugs and kisses sent for Jack. He gets them all, and more. :wub: