Pathology Is In For Harmony

Guest KennelMom

Guest KennelMom

Dr. Presley called us on Friday to let us know that all the pathology and lab reports are back on Harmony. Absolutely no, zero, nada tick diseases. Her liver, spleen and GI tract were normal. She was not producing any red blood cells. A smear of her bone marrow pointed to a diagnosis of myelodysplasia (myelodysplastic syndrome in humans), a bone marrow disease where the body just simply stops making red blood cells. They don't know what causes it, it can have acute/sudeen onset like Harmony and there is no cure. The only treatment would be constant blood transfusions. It's really pretty rare and not contagious or genetic as far as he could tell us.

Basically, we were all fighting a losing battle from the start. It does give me some comfort to know that we didn't let her go too soon...that just one more day, or just one more transfusion would not have made a difference.

I've been living in suspended animation of sorts...not really believing she was gone. Rather, not wanting to believe she was gone. Having an answer has helped me move forward a bit and start to deal with her death. Hopefully soon I'll be ready to write a proper Rememberance for her that celebrates her life and all that was wonderful about her.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers both during her illness and your support after we lost her. Our GT community is second to none :grouphug

Edited by KennelMom

{{{{{{{{{{Heather & Ken}}}}}}}}}}

I am glad, odd as that word is, that you and your vets have nothing to feel guilty for. Sooner, more, different -- nothing would have helped.

Run fast and far and free with the angels, beloved Harmony.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I just don't know what to say other than I'm sorry which doesn't help make the hurt go away. Just remember, Harmony came into your lives for a reason. Life is just not fair!

I am glad you have an answer. I know it doesn't help with the loss but to know the reason is something. We lost our heart boy Wally to Mediated Hemolytic Anemia.

:grouphug

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Heather I am glad that you have closure for this mystery of Harmony's illness. I know that it does not bring her back, but hopefully it will let you move forward.

Hugs,

Carol Ann

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest PhillyPups

Heather and Ken,

Having an answer can start to give some closure. Knowing that you did all you could and let her go with love is the best gift we can give our hounds. :bighug to you both.

Guest SueG201

Thank you Heather for t his info, now I may have closure on my whippets mysterious

death ( identical to Harmony's) I too did blood transfusions but nothing helped, Again I am

so sorry for you loss and may all our babies run pain free at the bridge

It's reassuring to know what happened, and it helps others to know what's possible. Thanks for sharing this outcome. Hope you and Ken are getting along well enough.

:yinyang:grouphug:yinyang

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I've been checking periodically for Harmony in remembrance and think of you guys often. I'm glad you got an answer and that it's at least given you some closure. I know this was really difficult for both of you. :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet girl. I am relieved that you have answers to comfort you in this hard time. She was a beautiful dog.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I completely understand needing to know...I am sure it does bring you peace and closure.

:grouphug

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021