I Am Ecstatic! The Wizard's Poop Improves

YES!! We are talking poop again! Merlin has been sick with a bad tummy and diarrhea for two long weeks. I have gone through all the stages of worried and freaked out. I had tried everything, or so it seemed. The meds (Metrodinazole, 500mg twice a day) weren't kicking in, and the boiled chicken and rice wasn't helping. Finally, using boiled ground beef :puke and rice, together with a higher dosage of the Metrodinazole, some Amoxicillin, a probiotic AND a sprinkle of new food (Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Systems) seems to be helping... this afternoon I took him out and he pooped a semi-normal poop!!!

:yay :yay :confetti:yay:banana:yay:confetti:balloonpartypost-12551-1216418977.gifgreenstars.giftreethingdance.gif

It wasn't hard or anything, but it was NOT diarrhea, it was semi-firm and had SHAPE! I am sooooooooooo, soooo happy, and relieved. I have been so worried about my wizard!

:colgate

Edited by merlinsmum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

That's greyt Kerri-

I am going through something similar with Beau with NO D. Just a very gurgly tummy, no appetite.

he too was put on the Flaygl 500mg BID in addition he is taking pedcid x-tra strengh.

How long was Merlin on the meds before you saw a change?

Was he hungry?

I'm very happy to hear that your baby is feeling better.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

believe me i understand about that. we went though that with lexie for almost two months after the tyleson powder probiotic and now iams low residue oh and shredded beet pulp she has normal poops too. lol.. I bet you neve rthought you would be jumping for joy over a poop??????? :)

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Oh Amber, I have no doubt!! :lol

Robin, Merlin was on the Metronidazole for 5 days before I saw an improvement. I think he needed the higher dosage. He never lost his appetite (au contraire... his eyes were nearly popping out of his head from excitement when he smelled the ground beef! :lol) but he was rather lethargic... he was hardly pooping at all :( and whatever was coming out was soup... yesterday morning his mood seemed to REALLY improve, and we did zoomies in the yard, and on walks he really had a spring in his step. Still, it took another whole day before we got a semi-decent poop.

Is Beau eating NOTHING?

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Is Beau eating NOTHING?

Beau has been happy silly boy, but little appetite. Mornings are really bad. He ate nothing this morning. DH got home about 2pm- he wanted nothing. When I got home, I gave him a bowl of chicky and rice and he ate it. Prob around a cup or a little more.

A few minutes ago, he had some more chicky and rice with about a cup of kibble. He has also eaten about 6 dried chicken strips (like his momma)

HOw many mg of the flagyl was Merlin on? Beau started on 1000 mg on Monday. It's gotten WORSE since Monday, that's why I'm concerned. Yesterday he appreared better.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Is Beau eating NOTHING?

Beau has been happy silly boy, but little appetite. Mornings are really bad. He ate nothing this morning. DH got home about 2pm- he wanted nothing. When I got home, I gave him a bowl of chicky and rice and he ate it. Prob around a cup or a little more.

A few minutes ago, he had some more chicky and rice with about a cup of kibble. He has also eaten about 6 dried chicken strips (like his momma)

HOw many mg of the flagyl was Merlin on? Beau started on 1000 mg on Monday. It's gotten WORSE since Monday, that's why I'm concerned. Yesterday he appreared better.

Merlin isn't on Flagyl - he's on Metronidazole and Amoxicillin. If things are getting worse and you suspect the meds, I'd call the vet if I were you... can't they sometimes substitute for something similar? It may be that the Flagyl just doesn't agree with Beau.

Well, at least he ate a bit this afternoon and evening. Maybe you could try something super yummy in the morning, to see if that stimulates his appetite? I really hope Beau starts to improve... it's so worrying when their stomachs are not right. We have a long way to go but I feel that tonight was a good start. I am just so suprised that it's taken 5 days of meds to see an improvement.

That's really good news. I did a double-take at the title of this post. My Wizard's racing name was Twilite Merlin. Apparently they called him "Wizard" at the track, so we kept that name.

YAY MERLIN! :clap Did the vet ever ID the bug ?

No, I wasn't told what kind of bacteria he had. However when I went to see my vet at her home (she lives closey by and since I couldn't make it to the vet office that afternoon, she offered to take the meds home with her for me to pick up after work), we had a chat and she said that if things didn't improve we might need to run more tests... to rule out things like Giardia, for example.

Flagyl and Metrodinazole are the same thing. Flagyl is just easier to say and type ;)

Oooooooohhhhhh! See, I learn a new thing every day on GreyTalk... :P:) :) Is Flagyl pronounced with a hard or soft "g"?

That's really good news. I did a double-take at the title of this post. My Wizard's racing name was Twilite Merlin. Apparently they called him "Wizard" at the track, so we kept that name.

That's cute! :)

Guest ArtysPeople
Flagyl and Metrodinazole are the same thing. Flagyl is just easier to say and type ;)

Oooooooohhhhhh! See, I learn a new thing every day on GreyTalk... :P:) :) Is Flagyl pronounced with a hard or soft "g"?

OK, this is going to be tricky given we have different accents, but it's FLA-juhl. Like the first part of "flag" but then no hard "g" at the end, and a "j" sound like "juice" (or "joules" for the science geeks out there).

And be careful who you go around talking about Flagyl to . . . most people in the U.S. know it as what they give you if you go in to Planned Parenthood with an infection, if you know what I mean. ;)

Guest ChancesMom

:yay :yay :bounce1 :bounce1 :confetti :confetti 73eee77e.gif73eee77e.gif

Merlin pooped semi normal. I am so happy for you Kerry. I know how it is when you are dealing with tummy issues. No fun at all and so worrisome.

YES!! We are talking poop again! Merlin has been sick with a bad tummy and diarrhea for two long weeks. I have gone through all the stages of worried and freaked out. I had tried everything, or so it seemed. The meds (Metrodinazole, 500mg twice a day) weren't kicking in, and the boiled chicken and rice wasn't helping. Finally, using boiled ground beef :puke and rice, together with a higher dosage of the Metrodinazole, some Amoxicillin, a probiotic AND a sprinkle of new food (Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Systems) seems to be helping... this afternoon I took him out and he pooped a semi-normal poop!!!

:yay :yay :confetti:yay:banana:yay:confetti:balloonpartypost-12551-1216418977.gifgreenstars.giftreethingdance.gif

It wasn't hard or anything, but it was NOT diarrhea, it was semi-firm and had SHAPE! I am sooooooooooo, soooo happy, and relieved. I have been so worried about my wizard!

:colgate

what - no picture??????

what - no picture??????

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Er... it was dark outside... :laughitup

OK, this is going to be tricky given we have different accents, but it's FLA-juhl. Like the first part of "flag" but then no hard "g" at the end, and a "j" sound like "juice" (or "joules" for the science geeks out there).

And be careful who you go around talking about Flagyl to . . . most people in the U.S. know it as what they give you if you go in to Planned Parenthood with an infection, if you know what I mean. ;)

Ooooooooooooh.... wow, I just learned another thing today! That's two things in one day and it's not even Noon yet! Woo-hoo! Thanks Christie :)

Edited by merlinsmum

Yeah for Merlin and solid (or nearly solid) poop!!!! :yay :yay :yay

Quick note to Beau's mom - I'm pretty sure I've heard of flagyl upsetting some dogs tummies. It is an antibiotic afterall. You might talk to your vet about giving something at home to help soothe his stomach - a lot of people do a pepcid about 20 minutes before they feed/give meds. Or else, there are some Rx meds to help with stomach upset - the names slip my mind, Batmom or Burpdog would know. Carafate is one, but I think that's more for nausea. There's another one that I see recommended a lot. I know, I am totally USELESS right now. But someone else, or your vet, will know. I would definitely look into it though so you can get him eating again. Just the fact that he's not eating may be making the meds even harder on him too.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."