If You Have Any Prayers Left...

Guest Winterwish

You and Misty are in my thoughts Claudia. Maybe she'd like a few boiled shrimp? It's not a lot tho', that's the only thing,they're so small,but she may really like them. :gh_child:bighug

Edited by Winterwish

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking of Misty....I'm sure you've tried it all by now, but what does she think of canned fish?

Hugs to Misty and to you :bighug

To tell you the truth, I haven't tried it all because of her kidney disease. I am afraid of putting her into kidney failure with too much protein.

You and Misty are in my thoughts Claudia. Maybe she'd like a few boiled shrimp? It's not a lot tho', that's the only thing,they're so small,but she may really like them. :gh_child:bighug

Misty loves shrimp Mary, but what about her kidneys? Would I be doing more harm than good with her kidney disease?

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Winterwish

Claudia,definitely best to take the advice of someone with experience with another pup who has Cushings. Hopefully she can have a couple tho',it might keep the flow going and she'd go on to eat a bit more of another meal she needs to have. Sometimes that happens.

Edited by Winterwish

Claudia,definitely best to take the advice of someone with experience with another pup who has Cushings. Hopefully she can have a couple tho',it might keep the flow going and she'd go on to eat a bit more of another meal she needs to have. Sometimes that happens.

It's not because of the Cushings Mary, it's that she has kidney disease on top of it. But ya know, I don't think a few would hurt her and you're right, it could get her going and it's not like I'll be doing everyday. But we won't tell her that :lol

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Guest Winterwish

Yes,originally I had posted with regard to kidney diseaese actually,and that shrimp is fine as it's a low protein food,(as is crabmeat too). But I edited it out so to be more careful with regard to the Cushings becasue I don't have any experience with Cushings.

Edited by Winterwish

It's not because of the Cushings Mary, it's that she has kidney disease on top of it. But ya know, I don't think a few would hurt her and you're right, it could get her going and it's not like I'll be doing everyday. But we won't tell her that :lol

That's right! Sometimes we have to do what we have to do to get things rolling again. :grouphug Kiss that pretty little girl for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Diet is not a major concern with Cushings though there is anecdotal evidence that dogs seem to do better on raw/fresh/homemade diets and surley shrimp would fall in to that category :P - Misty's challenge is indeed the kidney aspect - lots of good vibes coming her way

Pam

Yes,originally I had posted with regard to kidney diseaese actually,and that shrimp is fine as it's a low protein food,(as is crabmeat too). But I edited it out so to be more careful with regard to the Cushings becasue I don't have any experience with it.

I can't remember so forgive me but...have you tried her on yeast? (As an appetite enhancer?). Judy sent me yeast flakes for Wallace and after a few days, they really did work. When we ran out of that we put him on Brewers Yeast tablets and they were good too. Once we kick started his appetite with the yeast, he ate all the way through.

Edited for typo

Edited by Bevd

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Checking to see how Misty is doing this AM. Did she decide to eat a little something yesterday PM? Hugs to all. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Oh Mz. Misty~eat brekkie ok sweetie? :wub:

Usethisone.jpg

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

I can't remember so forgive me but...have you tried her on yeast? (As an appetite enhancer?). Judy sent me yeast flakes for Wallace and after a few days, they really did work. When we ran out of that we put him on Brewers Yeast tablets and they were good too. Once we kick started his appetite with the yeast, he ate all the way through.

Edited for typo

Thank you Bev, yes, Misty has been on the NY for quite awhile. Misty had sropped eating before the dx of Cushings and it was the NY that started her eating and kept her eating. She did pretty well yesterday but doesn't want to eat this am. There's something about mornings.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

I'm sorry to hear that Misty isn't eating again this morning, Claudia... hopefully she'll get a bit of an appetite as the day progresses. :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest greydogluvr

Claudia,

I have been doing a lot of internet searching in anticipation that Willie is going to need some enticing to eat. I found this recipe on the Recycled Racers site. I have not tried it but am going to make some in case needed. I bet addding nutrition yeast would be good, too. Eat, Misty eat.

Life Saving Meatballs

(Recipe for weight gain in dogs.) 2 lbs. raw hamburger or ground turkey, the cheaper and fattier the better

3-4 raw eggs

1 cup peanut butter

1/2 cup Karo corn syrup

1 cup wheat germ or oatmeal

Dump it all into a large bowl and mix together with your hands or wooden spoon. Form into balls about the size of a Ping-Pong ball and feed up to 10 meatballs per serving. These meatballs are great for putting weight on thin or sick dogs and for enticing ill dogs to eat. I freeze the meatballs on a cookie sheet and then store the frozen balls in a zip lock bag. I can microwave the desired number of meatballs as needed. Cool before serving.

Claudia,

I have been doing a lot of internet searching in anticipation that Willie is going to need some enticing to eat. I found this recipe on the Recycled Racers site. I have not tried it but am going to make some in case needed. I bet addding nutrition yeast would be good, too. Eat, Misty eat.

Life Saving Meatballs

(Recipe for weight gain in dogs.)

2 lbs. raw hamburger or ground turkey, the cheaper and fattier the better

3-4 raw eggs

1 cup peanut butter

1/2 cup Karo corn syrup

1 cup wheat germ or oatmeal

Dump it all into a large bowl and mix together with your hands or wooden spoon. Form into balls about the size of a Ping-Pong ball and feed up to 10 meatballs per serving. These meatballs are great for putting weight on thin or sick dogs and for enticing ill dogs to eat. I freeze the meatballs on a cookie sheet and then store the frozen balls in a zip lock bag. I can microwave the desired number of meatballs as needed. Cool before serving.

Thank you Lora. When I listened to that oncologist being interviewed, I was surprised to hear her say the dogs she's treating had no stomach issues at all, but then she said she was treating mostly Goldens.I'm sure she is aware that GH's have a much more sensitive stomach and she will suggest something for Willie. We've got him tucked in our prayers for the road ahead

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

We have fed Jack these 'life saving meatballs' just to get some weight on him. When we got him, he was at 66lbs, down from his 74 that he raced at and his bones were showing big time. He loves these meatballs and we have gotten a few pounds on him but still would like another 3-4lbs.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Just so you know, we gave up even trying to feed Polli in the morning over a year ago. We leave her (before we leave for work) with one milkbone and several zukes.

Then sometime between 5 and 7 pm we start with dinner. Prior to her amp, she was 61 pounds and maintained beautifully. Now after amp she is 53 pounds and is maintaining as well.

Could you try the once a day approach with many cookie supplements?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest HoustonGreys

I have no food suggestions, sorry --- but I wanted to remind you that Misty and you are in my prayers EVERY DAY!

:grouphug to both of you. I'm so sorry she's so sick and as a Mom it's so heartbreaking to see. :(

Just so you know, we gave up even trying to feed Polli in the morning over a year ago. We leave her (before we leave for work) with one milkbone and several zukes.

Then sometime between 5 and 7 pm we start with dinner. Prior to her amp, she was 61 pounds and maintained beautifully. Now after amp she is 53 pounds and is maintaining as well.

Could you try the once a day approach with many cookie supplements?

The only day that would be a problem Robin is on Mondays, when she has to take the meds. If I tried any later in the day, I run the risk of her crashing when the vet is closed, and our e-vet just moved quite a distance away. Any other day, Misty can eat whenever she pleases.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Ok Missy Misty...let's hear that you are doing some eating ok sweetie? :wub::grouphug

Usethisone.jpg