Any Experience With Cushings?

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Claudia, just checking in this morning to see how the little princess is doing. Continued prayers for you.

Misty has handled the meds well so far. I know never to feel too confident though. My concern is that I can't seem to get her to put on any weight and she really needs to. This am she was crying to eat at 5:30 so I fed her double what I normally would.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

... Don't know who spoiled her but somebody did

It was me! I confess ;)

Seriously, good to know she's tolerating her meds.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

I'd volunteer to make her as spoiled as Nevada was.........send her here anytime! :wub:

Just what you need right now :lol She's standing here crying to eat and it's only 2:15. Didn't want to eat Sunday or Monday, now she doesn't want to stop. I'm going grey fast :lol Soon Misty and I will match, weight and grey hair

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Guest SoulsMom
... Don't know who spoiled her but somebody did

It was me! I confess ;)

:lol:lol

I'm glad to hear she ate well this morning. Even though Soul hasn't had a turn for the worse, I know exactly what you mean about feeling too confident. I'm still out there with a flashlight on his A$$ everytime he goes out, holding my breath. (and not because of the stink either!)

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest ChancesMom

Claudia, I am so glad she is eating. As you know, I will probably not be available tomorrow but will try to check in on Friday. Will be thinking about you and Misty.

Claudia, I am so glad she is eating. As you know, I will probably not be available tomorrow but will try to check in on Friday. Will be thinking about you and Misty.

Lots and lots of prayers for tomorrow Donna!!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Something to keep in mind here........Cushings dog's become obscessive about eating & can gain weight fast. They begin to look like sausages with legs. This increased eating could be a symptom of her Cushings & she may need an increased dose of the meds. Watch her........

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Something to keep in mind here........Cushings dog's become obscessive about eating & can gain weight fast. They begin to look like sausages with legs. This increased eating could be a symptom of her Cushings & she may need an increased dose of the meds. Watch her........

Carol, you may be right about the need to increase the Lysodren but I'm afraid of that, however I will follow my vet's instructions should he want to increase. The mystery with Misty is that she's not gainning any weight, and I think she may have even lost another lb or 2.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Carol, you may be right about the need to increase the Lysodren but I'm afraid of that, however I will follow my vet's instructions should he want to increase. The mystery with Misty is that she's not gainning any weight, and I think she may have even lost another lb or 2.

It may be nothing, but just wanted you to be aware of watching for the obscessive behaviors......eating,drinking,licking,peeing etc. :colgate

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Guest mzmazzei
Sounds like things went smoothly...........

After Nevada was diagnosed with Cushings & started treatment she became a picky eater. I think it's the medication.

Is Misty getting Famotidine (pepcid 20 mg twice daily 1 hr before meals and meds)? Fiona had some acid reflux from the Trilostane, but adding this vet approved OTC fixed it.

The following is a non-greyhound Lysodren success story. While the dog did crash into Addison's, it did recover to continue agility. Thought you'd enjoy.

http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=c-oObKcDVtA

My pre-medication researched indicated higher crash rates with Lysodren compared to a "start-low-go-slow" Trilostane methodology. When dogs crashed on Trilostane, it was because the vet/owner didn't start low and slowly titrate up the dosage. I think it costs more to monitor the ACTH tests more frequently this way, however I figured it couldn't cost more than ER vet fees crashing my dog into Addison's and my anxiety. Good to hear that Misty is doing so well with the Lysodren.

By the way, is Misty hypothyroid? Fiona is on Soloxine since early this year - which I believe is Cushing's induced, but wasn't caught by the former vet. How's Misty's alopecia? Fiona's hair hasn't grown back on the ultrasound of adrenal glands shaved site. I've been reading about treating alopecia with melatonin. Her next ACTH test is 11/21 and I'll be asking our vet about that. My research shows that some dogs have great results with the melatonin implants.

Will add more, when I know more...

Sounds like things went smoothly...........

After Nevada was diagnosed with Cushings & started treatment she became a picky eater. I think it's the medication.

Is Misty getting Famotidine (pepcid 20 mg twice daily 1 hr before meals and meds)? Fiona had some acid reflux from the Trilostane, but adding this vet approved OTC fixed it.

The following is a non-greyhound Lysodren success story. While the dog did crash into Addison's, it did recover to continue agility. Thought you'd enjoy.

http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=c-oObKcDVtA

My pre-medication researched indicated higher crash rates with Lysodren compared to a "start-low-go-slow" Trilostane methodology. When dogs crashed on Trilostane, it was because the vet/owner didn't start low and slowly titrate up the dosage. I think it costs more to monitor the ACTH tests more frequently this way, however I figured it couldn't cost more than ER vet fees crashing my dog into Addison's and my anxiety. Good to hear that Misty is doing so well with the Lysodren.

By the way, is Misty hypothyroid? Fiona is on Soloxine since early this year - which I believe is Cushing's induced, but wasn't caught by the former vet. How's Misty's alopecia? Fiona's hair hasn't grown back on the ultrasound of adrenal glands shaved site. I've been reading about treating alopecia with melatonin. Her next ACTH test is 11/21 and I'll be asking our vet about that. My research shows that some dogs have great results with the melatonin implants.

Will add more, when I know more...

Thank you Jill. Misty also is on Soloxine and yes, she gets Pepcid on the day she gets the meds which is every Monday. My vet and I are in agreement to go slow and do the ACTH test more frequently which like you said, is more expensive, but I feel this is the safer way to go. I was giving the pepcid only 1/2 hour before so maybe I'll start giving it an hour before. Right now her appetite is ravenous. She's only getting 500mg of Lysodren once a week with Prednisone, then another Pred on Tuesday mornings.We will be doing the ACTH in 3 weeks.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Misty just spiked a fever. Don't know how high it was because my first action was to cool her down.She started to become very restless and panting fast and hard and she was really warm to the touch.Cooled her down and took her temp which was 104. Called the e-vet to let them know we were coming in and then got my vet on his cell. By this time I got her temp down to normal, 101 so I called the e-vet back and told them we would sit tight for now. If her fever spikes I'll bring her in, if not we'll be at the vet in the am.

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Fingers, toes, and paws crossed. Give her a scritchie for us, please.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest mzmazzei
Misty just spiked a fever. Don't know how high it was because my first action was to cool her down.She started to become very restless and panting fast and hard and she was really warm to the touch.Cooled her down and took her temp which was 104. Called the e-vet to let them know we were coming in and then got my vet on his cell. By this time I got her temp down to normal, 101 so I called the e-vet back and told them we would sit tight for now. If her fever spikes I'll bring her in, if not we'll be at the vet in the am.

I read your reply in my digest today and thought of a couple things. Regarding Pepcid - Lysodren stays in the system longer than Trilostane. I'd ask the vet about having Misty on Pepcid daily. Prednisone is a strong steroid that (among other side effects) induces appetite - speaking personally from having it prescribed for me with my asthma and lamenting the associated weight gain. Fiona has an Rx for prednisone ONLY in the event of anorexia, vomiting or overall weakness. I also recall that my Rx for prednisone was to take with food. Wondering if Misty is having expanded an episode of heartburn....

Well wishes this weekend.

Thinking about you and Misty this morning.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Kept a close eye on Misty during the night and luckily her temp didn't rise again. No idea what caused that episode. No fever this am and she ate and wanted to go for her walk this am.She's on my bed right now resting and seems comforable. Thank you for caring about my little girl

I read your reply in my digest today and thought of a couple things. Regarding Pepcid - Lysodren stays in the system longer than Trilostane. I'd ask the vet about having Misty on Pepcid daily. Prednisone is a strong steroid that (among other side effects) induces appetite - speaking personally from having it prescribed for me with my asthma and lamenting the associated weight gain. Fiona has an Rx for prednisone ONLY in the event of anorexia, vomiting or overall weakness. I also recall that my Rx for prednisone was to take with food. Wondering if Misty is having expanded an episode of heartburn....

Well wishes this weekend.

Jill, on the Prednisone, I did not want Misty on Pred because of her kidneys, but she's on a very low dose(2.5) and only takes it on Monday and Tuesday mornings. My vet feels it's necessary to avoid her crashing. In your prior post, I meant to address Misty's skin and coat. Both are in excellent condition.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg