I Need Some Advice

Nutritional yeast is an amazing food. I wonder how many folks, including me, have never even heard of it!

I'm so glad Emmy is eating again. What a worry for you that is hopefully over with!

Marcia in SC

I had never heard of it either until Xan suggested it. If you try it, get ready because it REALLY increases the appetite. Misty now begs for food and she has never done that.And when I tried it for Misty, she was dealing with a viral infection and a very upset stomach because of meds she was on.

Oh NO!! All 3 of mine are beggers! :lol

For all the good it does them, but they still try.

:rofl:rofl Ohhhhhhhhh, you're in trouble. You are in sooo much trouble

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just checking in on Emmy hoping she ate the chicken.

Nope, she wouldn't eat it. I noticed last night she has trouble opening and closing her jaw, like it jerks in segments open and closed. I'm wondering if it hurts her and that's why she won't eat solids. I have a call into the vet because I know he x-rayed her head, I just don't know if he was looking at her jaw so he may want to look at the xrays again. I also came to the realization that she doesn't yawn any more. I haven't seen her yawn in forever!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Hm! That's a helpful (I hope!) clue!

I read in an old goat-keeping book once this quote that really stuck in my head. "The farmer's eye fatteneth his kine." Which I take to mean that it's the watchful eye of the owner that notices all the details of what works and what doesn't, what's wrong and what's right about her/his animals. You noticing her not yawning is like that. It's not something a vet could possibly pick up in their limited time with her, but could be just the clue that leads to the answer!

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Emmy is going through so much!! I hope she continues to eat, even if it's liquid or blended so she'll keep her strength up

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

She's eating well considering it's liquid. She ate 1 1/2 cups this morning and another 1 1/2 cups this afternoon! She's drinking less water but that's to be expected since everything she eats is liquid. She seems to have a little more strength today and is walking better so the nutrition is helping. Now I need some really high calorie foods to add to her soup, things that can be blended. She doesn't seem to care for seafood, doesn't care for tuna or anything like that. I was adding kelp to her food but boy when she got to the bottom of the bowl she smells it and stops eating.

I was thinking about her and Andy's birthday cake and I'm thinking cheese cake would be good. I could blend it and it would still taste good and has a lot of calories!

There was a time I truly didn't think she would be here for this birthday but it looks like she will be. We'll be celebrating big time in this house on Sunday!!!

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

She's eating, liquid or not, and that's a big improvement. I would think all the b vitamins in that yeast will help her strength. I hope you find just the right thing to get in that blender. This is for you Emmy :kiss2

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest LindsaySF
Now I need some really high calorie foods to add to her soup, things that can be blended.

Nutri-Cal paste/gel is high calorie. I think it can be blended? Most dogs like the taste too.

Ensure Plus, vanilla flavor, is a favorite around here for putting on extra calories.

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Just read this thread all the way thru. We use the nutrical paste for our seizue girls when needed, just put some in the mouth & the swallow. When using the yeast how much do you put on each meal? Laura's heartdog is not eating enough so want to try this for her.

Judy, I'm so glad Emmy is starting to come around, I think of you often .

Just read this thread all the way thru. We use the nutrical paste for our seizue girls when needed, just put some in the mouth & the swallow. When using the yeast how much do you put on each meal? Laura's heartdog is not eating enough so want to try this for her.

Judy, I'm so glad Emmy is starting to come around, I think of you often .

I've been putting 2 heaping tablespoons full of Nutritional Yeast in each of Emmy's meals and man, I can't describe to you the difference in her when she's eating. She used to take a half hour or more to eat a cup of soup because she would just lick a little and then turn away. We were sitting there and coaxing her to eat more. With the Nutritional Yeast, we have just been sitting her bowl in front of her and she goes at it like crazy, I mean she's really lapping it up and is through in about 15 minutes! I'm now getting three to four meals in her during the day, where before I would be good to get a half a cup in her all day.

edited to add: She ate 4 1/2 cups of food yesterday and so far today she's had 3 and it's almost time for dinner!

Edited by JillysFullHouse

What great news today!! :clap :clap :clap We'll all be celebrating right along with you folks!!

That sounds like a good amount of nut. yeast for a crisis. You might want to back off if things start normalizing, or you'll be stinking up the house with the gas! At least, it seems to affect mine that way. :lol Doesn't seem to bother THEM, though! :rolleyes:

Edited by Xan

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

What great news today!! :clap :clap :clap We'll all be celebrating right along with you folks!!

That sounds like a good amount of nut. yeast for a crisis. You might want to back off if things start normalizing, or you'll be stinking up the house with the gas! At least, it seems to affect mine that way. :lol Doesn't seem to bother THEM, though! :rolleyes

And we're celebrating here as well. I've been lucky, Misty is still getting the yeast and no gas at all. But she's always begging for food which she has never ever done. This afternoon I put it on food I know she doesn't like and she gulped that too. You go Emmy :yay:yay This really does my heart good to hear she's eating

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest PiagetsMom

Great, Greyt news, Judy! I didn't know a thing about nutritional yeast, but I'm surely going to file it away for any future reference!

Good job, Emmy......eat up like a big girl! :yay

Ensure Plus, vanilla flavor, is a favorite around here for putting on extra calories.

I have also known a few pups who liked the vanilla, but LOVED the strawberry!

Good girl Emmy, keep eating.

Judy, hope you can get to the bottom of the possible jaw issue...:grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Glad to see that Emmy has been eating more with the Nutritional Yeast added. This must be so stressful for you and your family. Perhaps her jaw is at the root of the eating problem. Poor sweetie has been thru so much - you are taking such good care of her.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Sending more prayers out this morning. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Sending positive thoughts............read the whole thread just and relieved to see she's improving.

Chicken soup with mushed up vegetables used to do the trick with my old girl Tess.

She was totally blind too so I can relate to your problem of her getting agitated when pill popping, used to like strong smelly cheddar cheese so we moulded it round the pill for her.

She lived until 16 years old.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Wow, this stuff is gold! I'm so glad she's eating...with gusto! She'll get her strength back. Did the vet take another look at that x ray and look at her jaw? Any word?

Such good news, you are a very very good dog mom!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

:clap:banana Keep eating sweetheart :kiss2 Edited by Shirley44

siggy%201.jpg

Miles October 4 2002-Novembre 19 2013 Mommy loves you big boy

Tatum December 1 2004-January 23 2015 Love you Miss SiSi Bums

Rowdy October 26 2001 -November 5 2015 Miss you Bébé Lou

Wow, this stuff is gold! I'm so glad she's eating...with gusto! She'll get her strength back. Did the vet take another look at that x ray and look at her jaw? Any word?

Such good news, you are a very very good dog mom!

I talked to the vet last night, she will see him first thing Monday morning. He wants to check her over again and I noticed last night when I was giving her a massage that her lymph nodes are very swollen so he's going to check those too.

As far as storage goes, what I have comes in a can with a plastic lid and the instructions say to store in a cool, dry place.