Bone Cancer (osteosarcoma) Amputation

Guest Designsmom

Guest Designsmom

You are all so sweet and kind to care about us. We had a bit of a setback. Design laid on her bad side Wednesday night and ripped a whole in her skin right under the incision. I just did not know what to do anymore so we took her back to the vet. He is going to keep her through the weekend for wound care. I feel horrible for her and I am really wondering if we did the right thing. The thing is that it is too late to wonder. What is done is done and we have to hang in there and see what happens. Your prayers and well wishes are very much appreciated.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending lots of hugs.

More than one person here has had the same experience -- bit of trouble getting the wound to heal initially -- but I'm praying and betting that in a couple more days she'll be well past that.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Stay strong.... You love her and you are doing your best for her, and I'm sure she knows it. Hang in there! :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Edited by merlinsmum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest loisdad

Design's mom-

Lois' dad sending you prayers and good wishes. I have been following your forum for the past few days, since Lois is in the same boat.

Best of luck. Keep us posted as to how she's doing.

You are all so sweet and kind to care about us. We had a bit of a setback. Design laid on her bad side Wednesday night and ripped a whole in her skin right under the incision. I just did not know what to do anymore so we took her back to the vet. He is going to keep her through the weekend for wound care. I feel horrible for her and I am really wondering if we did the right thing. The thing is that it is too late to wonder. What is done is done and we have to hang in there and see what happens. Your prayers and well wishes are very much appreciated.

You did the right thing. It's just hard. Remember what everyone said. The first two weeks are the worst. I second guess myself about choosing not to amputate for Jack everyday. We have to stop. We did the best for our dogs. :grouphug

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest Vinnie

We all do the roller coaster bit after a major surgery - but one day you'll think she's never going to get past it and the next morning she'll be up and playing like nothing ever happened. And we still worry if we did the right thing but in our heart of hearts know the answer was yes. When you went through all the scenarios while making your decision, you knew without a doubt that this was right - trust that instinct now. You need to be thinking lots of positive thoughts so she doesn't pick up on the worry and she'll start healing - especially since they'll take extra special care of her this weekend. She'll probably be raring to go when you pick her up again. Sending hugs to y'all and scritches to Design along with some healing prayers.

Guest DundeeToddsMom

I have to chime in too - don't worry you did the right thing. As people have said the first couple week(s) are difficult. I've been through it twice -one with a rear leg and one with the front. It will get better once you get the wound to heal. Sending healing prayers for Design and family!

Guest HeatherDemps

Sorry to hear of this.... hang in there. When Dempsey came home, he still had some seepage from his staples. They put on some kind of bandage to help stop this. It was terrible to get off of him but it did stop the seeping. I wish I could remember what it was called.....

Guest Designsmom

Thank you all. I am feeling much better about this now. You are an awesome bunch of people. Design will heal and I will have her home in no time and she will be just fine. She has the will to live and a family that adores and loves her. She gets her stitches out Tuesday. That is the two week mark. Yay!

You're right, she will heal a little more each day. Sometimes the body is weaker than their strong and resilient spirits, so we have to be patient. The ups and downs at this stage of the journey are more upsetting because we can't help but wonder if we did the right thing. It's normal for you to feel like that because you love her so much, but please know you did make the right decision. She wants to be here.

I'm so glad you posted her picture. Now we can picture her beautiful face when we remember her in our prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest Designsmom

Just wanted to let you all know that Design is doing much better. The Dr. did have to stitch up that hole and he has to clean it daily (still getting clots from it) He said she is the queen of the hospital. Everyone goes back to see her when they come in in the morning and she is eating it all up. She will not eat unless she is hand fed which his staff does willingly. She is in a good place and getting very good care. He wanted to keep her 24 more hours to watch her healing. Maybe we will get her back tomorrow. Thanks for the prayers. They are working.

Guest vahoundlover

Glad to hear she's doing better. Continued prayers she'll be home tomorrow and the rest of her healing will be uneventful.

I am so sorry. My sweet Sandy was diagnosed last year and I opted not to do it. She was 8. She was already in so much pain I could not imagine putting her through more. I also did not let it linger and she went to sleep peacefully with us at her side.

I am still crying, but I have no regrets because my sweet girl deserved to die with dignity. Don't even blame yourself about the money aspect either, we could probably not have afforded the treatment, but I would have done it if I thought it was in her best interest, which I am convinced is not the case.

I had one other grey, well still have her, and decided she was lonely, so got a foster and failed fostering, so now have 2.

BeBesm.jpg

Make a fast friend, adopt a greyhound!!

Guest Vinnie

So glad to hear she is doing better and will be coming home again soon. And that she has being treated like royalty, what better way to heal. I hope there are no more issues and that she has healed enough to stay with you now. Hugs to you all and scritches to Design.

Guest Designsmom

Design is finally home. Very skinny. She was a little pudgy for a greyhound before this. Now we can see her back bone and ribs. HOWEVER, she is home and she is eating well. We made her her own chicken breast on the grill today. She is scared to death of the fireworks and she is supposed to stay still. She still has a lot of her staples and even some new ones. She is still leaking and seeping but I don't care anymore. We can handle it now. (it looks more like snot than blood now). Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers and love and scritches, we could not have gone through this without your support.

Guest Winterwish

I'm so glad Design is back home with you for plenty of loving and is eating well. She must really love the smell of the grilled chicken,it's a very good way to build up the appetite- to be able to smell it as it's cooking really does help.

Hopefully you're both beginning to be able get some rest. :grouphug:dogcookie:hope:hope

Edited by Winterwish

I am so happy your baby is back home. Sending prayers and the most gentle hugs. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Vinnie

Oh so good to see that she is back home and you are all doing better. Hope she enjoys the chicken and you enjoy having your sweet baby girl home.