Bone Cancer (osteosarcoma) Amputation

Guest Designsmom

Guest Vinnie

I have put an album together with a bunch of photos from the time our Angel Vinnie was diagnosed and in a cast to help support his leg until the amputation to the time we let him go to wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge. There are several close-ups of Vinnie's amputation area - nothing gory or gross, but if you don't like stiches, you may want to pass on this part of the album. But it will help you prepare for Designs surgery. You have been in our thoughts and prayers and thought this may help you be prepared. The surgery does take awhile - we tried working to keep our minds off of it - it helped, but I jumped every time the phone rang. I hope your visit tomorrow will help give her pain relief.

Here is how we remember Vinnie - happy and no pain and always with a smile on his face:

Our sweet Angel Vinnie, he had a wonderful smile for everyone:

2006-07-11296.jpg

our family portait - he loved to hug:

2006-07-11324.jpg

If you would like to see the other photos (they are not in order, I am still working on it), please go to this link:

http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm16/bo...nnie/?start=all

Please let us know how things are going and how the surgery went when you can. And remember, we are all here for you.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Vinnie

Knowing today is the day you planned for Designs surgery, thought we would check in and let you know we are thinking of you all and hoping the surgery goes well. Please let us know when you can how she is doing along with you and your family.

My heart and prayers are with you today. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest becca97

oh honey :( best of luck to you and your design whatever you choose it will be from love and that is the best we mere humans can do for our beloved furry angels :grouphug

Guest CyndiW

Thinking about your baby today and the big surgery. I am so glad to see that you decided to go forward with it. The surgery alone took Odysseus' pain away immediately. I am sure the surgery itself wasn't a joy for him but the pain and look on his face (drawn back and miserably sad eyes) was gone instantly when the OS pain was taken away. OS is so painful for them. Yes, the first 2 weeks are difficult as you work through the adjustment period but it is worth it 100% to see their quality of life back and Odysseus started to put back on weight quickly once the cancer was gone.

We did opt for chemo which with surgery and chemo gave us 1 awesome year!! He was pain free and high on life for that year. The nice thing about chemo for OS is that often it is just 4-6 IV treatments spread out (every 3 weeks) which makes it much more manageable financially. Odysseus had 4 treatments right after surgery with virtually no side effects and then the chemo was DONE and we could really enjoy life.

Can't wait to read an update and hope she is feeling greyt very soon!!

:candle

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

I am new to this site. I have read many of the posts and I would like your opinion. I have a beautiful 9 1/2 year old greyhound that we have had since she was 2 yrs old. Her name is Design. She had started limping a few weeks ago and the vet thought it was an injury to her knee. She did not get better with meds. Yesterday, xrays revealed that she has bone cancer in her left hind leg called osteosarcoma. It basically eats the bone from the inside out. The only cure is amputation of the leg. Chest xrays revealed that it had not spread to her lungs. Would any of you put your greyhound through this? She has 6 to 9 months of suffering ahead if we do not do it. I am leaning toward doing it. Have any of you experienced this type of thing? Thanks so much for your help.

Designs Mom.

I am so very sorry to hear of your girl's diagnosis.

Yes I would amputate for a 9 year old, especially if it hadn't spread to her lungs. My girl is 9 and I would do this in a heartbeat if faced with this decision.

:bighug

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

i'm sorry, i just saw this thread. I just wanted to add to those recommending you send the xrays to OSU. My 12.5 year old Loca was recently misdiagnosed with a different form of bone cancer by a board certified vet radiologist. When we sent her xrays to OSU for a second opinion, it turned out that the local radiologist mistook normal lung superimposed on her scapula as bone cancer and the diagnosis was normal. we sent a second set, which was also normal. i'm sure your vet and the radiologist are very competent, but it doesn't hurt to get that second opinion, especially since there is no charge.

Yes, the exrays were read by a radiologist called PetRays. I have the report. She is limping, bearing most of her weight on her right leg. We live in West Palm Beach Florida. I don't know how Design would handle surgery. It takes her a good week to get over a teeth cleaning. The vet said NOTHING about chemo. I wonder if he was going to spring that on me once the amp was done. I don't trust him all the way because, quite frankly, he stands to gain the most from the amp and chemo. It seems with this economy, everyone is hurting for business. Thanks for all your help. Still deciding....

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

There is so much advice here to consider. First let me pass on some hugs to you and your pup. I have had two pups with osteosarcoma, unfortunately it was found after it had spread. In both cases, if it was found before it would have spread...by all means, I would have spent every dime to get the surgery. More factors come into play though, such as quality of life, is she in awesome health, her attitude etc....

:hope:grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest Designsmom
I have put an album together with a bunch of photos from the time our Angel Vinnie was diagnosed and in a cast to help support his leg until the amputation to the time we let him go to wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge. There are several close-ups of Vinnie's amputation area - nothing gory or gross, but if you don't like stiches, you may want to pass on this part of the album. But it will help you prepare for Designs surgery. You have been in our thoughts and prayers and thought this may help you be prepared. The surgery does take awhile - we tried working to keep our minds off of it - it helped, but I jumped every time the phone rang. I hope your visit tomorrow will help give her pain relief.

Here is how we remember Vinnie - happy and no pain and always with a smile on his face:

Our sweet Angel Vinnie, he had a wonderful smile for everyone:

2006-07-11296.jpg

our family portait - he loved to hug:

2006-07-11324.jpg

If you would like to see the other photos (they are not in order, I am still working on it), please go to this link:

http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm16/bo...nnie/?start=all

Please let us know how things are going and how the surgery went when you can. And remember, we are all here for you.

Guest Designsmom

Hi Everyone, thanks so much for your thoughts and suggestions. Since time was of the essence, Design had her leg amputated yesterday. The vet said all went well and that she was on ice packs and lots of pain medication. Today I called to see how she was and they said that she was doing ok. She will not try to get up on her own, she won't walk and she won't eat. She pees where she is laying. She seemed calmer today and was not panting as much. The took her off some of the pain medication. My heart breaks to see some of the posts that their pups only lasted 7 months after. This was our only choice for her to have a chance. We are allowed to visit her tomorrow. God help me. I do not want upset her. I pray that I am strong enough to handle it. I miss my baby so much.

Guest gottaluvgreysindy

Glad to hear surgery went well. My boy Deuce was diagnosed and we did amputation and chemo. Like you, I wouldn't chance his leg breaking at home and he was healthy every where else so it was a no brainer for me. Here we are 22 months later and he is still my heart. Feel free to PM me if you have questions at all. Please be patient with her surgery recovery. So many start thinking they made a mistake when recovery takes longer than they think it should. Don't overdue the pain meds while in surgery recovery. Don't forget that we are all here for you.

Guest Vinnie

Oh, so good to hear that the surgery went well. Vinnie wouldn't eat for the clinic either until I brought food in for him - he gobbled it all down - no problem. It may just be that she is missing you and you did mention that she does not like the vets. You should ask if you can bring in what she would normally eat when you go to see her and see if she will eat for you. And don't be surprised if she tries to get up when she sees or hears you - that's usually all it takes.

Don't worry about the time that others have had - some were short, true, but many are long and go onto lead happy lives. I can tell you, that everything we did for Vinnie we would do in a heartbeat again even though it only gave us an additional 3 months - it was 3 months we wouldn't have had with him otherwise. He was pain free and loving life. And as I noted before, his was exceptionally aggressive.

So when you go to see her, remember to keep a smile on your face and in your voice. Do not be surprised if there is bruising and fluid build up - it's all normal. In a couple weeks all that you will go through will be forgotten as you watch her enjoying life without the pain of osteo. They truly do recover remarkably well and you'll be surprised at how quickly she adapts to being a tripod. And your love for her will give you the strength you need. Hugs to you all. Hope she comes home soon so you can hug on her.