Bone Cancer (osteosarcoma) Amputation

Guest Designsmom

Guest Designsmom

Here are some pictures of my baby before Osteohttp://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll248/designsmom/?action=view&current=DSCN0305.jpg

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MorganKonaAlex

You can stick a maxi pad inside the leggings to catch the seepage. I also used T-shirts instead of the e-collar for Morgan.

She is SO beautiful! Hope the T-shirt works for her. Those E collars are no fun. She seems to be adjusting really well---coming when the fridge door opens is a good sign.

Sending lots of healing thoughts.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

She's lovely :wub:

We made a sort of top knot in Darcys T shirt so that it doubled as a sling with a handle, so we could give her a little support when she was getting up to go outside.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest Designsmom

I don't think the t-shirt is going to work on this one. It doesn't seem to cover up the incision all the way. Unless there is another way to put it on. Her amputation was the left rear and the stitches seem to go as far back as her rear end. I am going to try to get to the pet store today and get one of those inflatable e-collars. We removed her pain patch yesterday as instructed by the vet. She seems a little more uncomfortable today. She laid down the wrong way on it twice yesterday. Bled quite a bit. I feel so bad for her.

try greyhound pajamas. You could pin the leg up to cover her incision. Or try a pair of kids' basketball shorts.

I have an inflatable collar - when my dog Argos had a belly injury, he was able to get his needlenose around it to lick his wound, so watch her carefully so she can't do that. Also, if you attach it to her collar, it should stay on better.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest MorganKonaAlex

For rear flank injuries, I've resorted to putting a V-neck shirt on backwards. The V area for peeing. It was then cinched at the waist. However, that was a dog with 4 legs.

Guest Designsmom

Well, last night was our worst ever. She was bleeding so bad we took her back to the vet last night. Apparently, the blood and fluid that pool at the bottom burst open (from her licking). She bled and bled and is still bleeding but now only when she moves. It looks like they filmed the Texas chainsaw massacre in my house and car. We tried to pen her into a small area with two couches and put the e-collar on her. An hour later she had gotten out, walked all over the house dripping blood and was banging on our bedroom door. Needless to say, I took the collar off and watched her sleep all night long. She seems in worse pain now from the sore than the incision. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

Guest dubeespot

Hi, unfortunately I know exactly what you are going through. We lost our beautiful boy Regal last year to the same damn cancer!!!!!!!!!!! He gave out a yipe one day and just started limping for no reason, so off to the vet, same as yours we thought he may have hurt himself but wasn't getting any better. Upon x-raying him they found that dreaded C word, and it had not spread into the lungs on him either.

We talked over the options and both my husband and I decided that no way were we going to put Regal through amputation - especially because the vet explained that even with that and chemo - that he might get an additional 6 months to a year - we just couldn't bear the thought of putting him through that pain and hell for us!!!

He was given 1-3 months to live and we had him with us for almost 6!!!!!!!!!!! He could have been around even longer but we let him go before it was to unbearable for him. My husband had a hard time seeing that it was time, but after all was said and done - he knew it was the right time. We managed his pain with 2 different meds and my vet was WONDERFUL in letting me call every couple of weeks with a report and answered any questions we had.

Regal lived like a king up the end and we wouldn't change a thing that we did. I hope this helps you. My thoughts and prayers are sooooo with you. It's not fair and we will never understand it. Just give your baby lots and lots of love and just when you thought you couldn't spoil them any more than you are - you will be surprised!!!!!!!!

Good luck, Shawn

We have had to use the cone before, when nothing else kept Argos out of an injury. He was also on strict rest - no walks of any kind - so we ended up giving him a mild dose of a sedative every day for a few weeks to keep him calm. That enabled us to cone him when we weren't home (we took it off when we were with him and at night for sleeping), and it also kept him from going stir crazy from lack of exercise. Just a thought.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest trevdog

You could try a pair of child's pajamas on her and pin the leg up. Also a bite not collar might work better than the standard e collar. Unfortunately unless your vet has one, you may need to order it.

Guest greytgovernor

I would try a pair of men's boxer shorts with the one leg stitched up - the good leg and the tail go through the open leg. It helped with Governor when he wouldn't leave his stitches alone. The other thing I used was his muzzle with a paper plate stitched to the bottom so he couldn't lick through the muzzle. The muzzle I only used when he was left alone otherwise just the boxers. He did eventually learn how to remove the boxers but it at least bought me a few days of healing.

He absolutely freaked out when I tried the cone on him and I could not leave him in it.

2982913080102268717S425x425Q85.jpg

2265162320102268717S425x425Q85.jpg

Hope this helps!

Edited by greytgovernor

Guest Vinnie

Just wanted to check in and see how you all were doing now? Is her pain more manageable? We never did the pain patch but Vinnie had 2 pain meds that he took - which was really fun as he was a champion pill spitter! :lol:lol:lol Hoping that the fluids have gone down and that you have found a way to foil her licking at the open area. Hope you were able to get your sedative too :lol Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers for continued healing.

when blue had a lump removed from his leg, i tried the cone, he'd statue, or walk two feet , bump into something and freeze. he hated it.

i got millie's muzzle, duck taped over the holes in front (and later the sides - amazing how they can get creative with that long tongue) and he was happy with that & could sleep with it. muzzle off for feeding, he could drink thru it tho it was a bit messy, after it was healing, and the muzzle came off, if he looked like he was going to lick, i'd pick up the muzzle and he'd stop.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Hang in there - and don't hesitate to call some of the peeps on here with experience!! I know they always say the first 2 weeks after amp can be hellish!!! :grouphug

Also - for the bleeding... maybe your vet can contact Dr. Cuoto if he/she hasn't already?? I think there's a med they can give to help that (or maybe it's only during & right after surgery? Can't remember...)

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge