Bone Cancer (osteosarcoma) Amputation

Guest Designsmom

Guest becca97

hi,

when my sheltie boy was in for a genetic gastric problem that very nearly killed him (rescue), i took him some chicken (as he wasn't eating for the hospital nurses) he yummed up the skin (the oils made it slide down a bit easier). After that his recovery went well and we got to take him home a couple of days later. So see if you can take something like that in for your pup, we left what we had with the nurses for him and i'm convinced it helped.

really, really praying for you all {{{hugs}}}

beccaxx

Edited by becca97

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Designsmom
Glad to hear surgery went well. My boy Deuce was diagnosed and we did amputation and chemo. Like you, I wouldn't chance his leg breaking at home and he was healthy every where else so it was a no brainer for me. Here we are 22 months later and he is still my heart. Feel free to PM me if you have questions at all. Please be patient with her surgery recovery. So many start thinking they made a mistake when recovery takes longer than they think it should. Don't overdue the pain meds while in surgery recovery. Don't forget that we are all here for you.

What does PM mean? I have never done this posting thing before. I am trying to figure it out as I go.

Let me know. Thanks.

Oh, so good to hear that the surgery went well. Vinnie wouldn't eat for the clinic either until I brought food in for him - he gobbled it all down - no problem. It may just be that she is missing you and you did mention that she does not like the vets. You should ask if you can bring in what she would normally eat when you go to see her and see if she will eat for you. And don't be surprised if she tries to get up when she sees or hears you - that's usually all it takes.

Don't worry about the time that others have had - some were short, true, but many are long and go onto lead happy lives. I can tell you, that everything we did for Vinnie we would do in a heartbeat again even though it only gave us an additional 3 months - it was 3 months we wouldn't have had with him otherwise. He was pain free and loving life. And as I noted before, his was exceptionally aggressive.

So when you go to see her, remember to keep a smile on your face and in your voice. Do not be surprised if there is bruising and fluid build up - it's all normal. In a couple weeks all that you will go through will be forgotten as you watch her enjoying life without the pain of osteo. They truly do recover remarkably well and you'll be surprised at how quickly she adapts to being a tripod. And your love for her will give you the strength you need. Hugs to you all. Hope she comes home soon so you can hug on her.

Guest Designsmom
I advise you to contact Ohio State and post on the Circle of Grey (link above). They (OSU) will send chemo drugs for greys at no charge.

When I asked Dr. Couto a few months ago, the average is still at 14 months with amputation and chemo. Many go longer.

Where are you located?

Is she weight bearing on the leg or hopping?

If you decide not to amputate, you must combine drugs to keep her out of pain. Tramadol and a NSAID or pred and you can add morphine.

Were the xrays read by a radiologist? Has she been tested for Valley Fever?

i'm so glad his surgery went well. you're both in my thoughts.

PM means to send a private message. I'm afraid you need something like 50 posts to be able to send them, so that's something you won't be able to do until you've reached post # 50.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest HeatherDemps

Glad to hear that the surgery went well. Mine was in ICU from the day of the surgery on Wednesday afternoon until Saturday morning. He did not eat anything the entire time he was there. We went to visit him Friday evening and he wouldn't eat for us even. I was worried because he rarely refuses to eat, but I think it was a combination of the pain meds and being at the vet hospital- he absolutely hates being at the vet clinic for long.....

I think it is very scary seeing your dog in this condition for the first time- at least it was for me. I thought he looked like he had been hit by a truck- there was massive brusing, swelling of the other front leg and all paws, and the skin on his belly was hanging because of the fluids they were giving him. All you can do is try to stay strong for your girl and hold the emotions in until you are away from her- they pick up on our feelings so much....

Please keep us updated!! I remember well where you are at now and I can tell you from the other side of it that it only gets easier from here, I promise.....

Hang in there,

Heather

I'm so glad you decided to move quickly, and REALLY glad the surgery went well. I have to say---this will be a stressful time. You may have doubts about why you put her through this, it may break your heart to look at her and be truly certain you did the right thing. For the many here who have made the same decision---we know how you feel! Don't second guess yourself. You did what you did because you love her. Like you, my biggest fear for Winnie was that her leg would shatter. At that point, you must make an immediate decision to amputate or put her to sleep, and I couldn't bear that thought. Even though it's such a drastic change, the surgery is really not complex. It's mostly soft tissue trauma, and a large incision. There will be swelling, bruising, some seepage---all that will pass, probably faster than you expect. The first few days are the hardest. She will be ridding her system of the anesthesia, as well as adjusting and reacting to the pain meds. That can cause reactions that may scare you, like panting, restlessness, but that's temporary. Just remember, This too will pass.

I always expected the worst, figuring that if it was better than I expected, that was a bonus. I was lucky. Winnie had few problems adjusting, and I was in awe every day of her calm determination. These Greys are often pretty darn stoic. There are some drama queens among them, but mostly, they do what they need to do. You can help her, of course, mostly by continuing to do what YOU need to do---making her feel safe and loved. I cried a lot, but I tried not to let Winnie see me. I wouldn't be honest if I didn't admit that I often looked at her and ached inside that my beautiful Queen was no longer whole, and that she struggled sometimes to do the things that had previously been effortless. But those were MY emotions, and she would have had no idea why I was so sad. There is no stigma in the animal world against dogs with 3 legs---like Dr. Couto says, they have 3 legs and a spare.

I probably sound like a broken record with this, but if you haven't already, look into starting her on artemisinin. You would have nothing to lose.

I know you can't PM because you don't have enough posts, but you can email me if you want, and I'm sure others here feel the same way. Please don't hesitate if we can help you in any way. You're not alone!

Get some sleep before you bring your precious girl home, and please let us know how she's doing.

Sending out prayers, and good thoughts, and white light for healing.

My email: catsburg@comcast.net

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest Vinnie

If you go to cute & funny or everything else greyhound there are all sorts of things on there that you can put just a quick comment on - it lets you get to know some people and greyts - and it will help keep your mind from imagining the worse right now. This will also get you enough posts where you can pm (private message or email message through the forum) and in your condition, the less stress and worrying the better. I hope you were able to go to some of the links that were posted on here to help you prepare for what you will see. Honestly, from the moment that Vinnie came out, I could not remember how he looked with four legs - all I saw was my beautiful sweet boy. Oh and I noticed you were trying to reply on some of the quotes - maybe regarding OSU and Dr. Cuoto - he is amazing as well as the program that they have in place to study and help our greyts. If you can get the reports and send them to him, he will look them over and perhaps suggest a chemo or med for Design that my work to keep the osteo away either longer or for good. Vinnie was part of their study so we got some of the chemo treatment from the program for free. Our oncologist took care of the arrangements. It may be something that can be done with Design. If you would like to email me in the meantime, my email is bobcatproduction@comcast.net. Try to get some rest while you can. Hugs and healing prayers coming your way.

Sending more prayers for a swift recovery. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Just wanted first to say that I've been thinking of you and Design and all that you've been going through. I noticed in your post that after her surgery she would not eat. Hopefully she will get her appetite back soon. You've probably have gotten some good information on this from others who have gone through this, but just wanted to add that I found the following recipe for coaxing a sick dog into eating in the book Holistic Guide for the Healthy Dog,

1/2 lb of beef or chicken liver

2 cups of Willard or spring water

"Put ingredients into a saucepan and bring everything to a boil. Stir the liver until cooked through, about 4 minutes. Take off stove and cool. Put through a blender or food processor until it is a soupy mixture. If not soupy enough, just add more water.

Suck some of this mixture into a turkey baster. With you dog at your side, head parallel to the ground (elevating head will cause gagging), gently squeeze a small amount of the mixture into the side of his mouth. Go slowly, and he will swallow. For a medium size dog about a 1/2 cup of this mixture two to three times a day is sufficient. Liver is full of vitamins and amino acids, which help the healing process. Once you start the eating behavior, most dogs will start to eat on their own. In the transition period, use the liver mixture poured over his food."

Judy,

Mom to Nadir, Beanie, and Bruiser

You and your girl are in our thoughts and prayers.You love your girl, so the strength you'll need now will come. Please, as you have time, keep us posted on how it's going.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Designsmom

Thank you, Thank you everyone for all of your good information. I read Winslow's diary daily so that I can somewhat know what to expect. We are picking her up today and my husband said that nothing can prepare me for the way she looks. It broke his heart when he went to see her on Thursday. Well, I am ready as I will ever be. If you all don't mind I will keep you posted because you all have been so kind to share your prayers with us. Thanks so very much. I am bringing my sweet girl home today.

I'm so glad you decided to move quickly, and REALLY glad the surgery went well. I have to say---this will be a stressful time. You may have doubts about why you put her through this, it may break your heart to look at her and be truly certain you did the right thing. For the many here who have made the same decision---we know how you feel! Don't second guess yourself. You did what you did because you love her. Like you, my biggest fear for Winnie was that her leg would shatter. At that point, you must make an immediate decision to amputate or put her to sleep, and I couldn't bear that thought. Even though it's such a drastic change, the surgery is really not complex. It's mostly soft tissue trauma, and a large incision. There will be swelling, bruising, some seepage---all that will pass, probably faster than you expect. The first few days are the hardest. She will be ridding her system of the anesthesia, as well as adjusting and reacting to the pain meds. That can cause reactions that may scare you, like panting, restlessness, but that's temporary. Just remember, This too will pass.

I always expected the worst, figuring that if it was better than I expected, that was a bonus. I was lucky. Winnie had few problems adjusting, and I was in awe every day of her calm determination. These Greys are often pretty darn stoic. There are some drama queens among them, but mostly, they do what they need to do. You can help her, of course, mostly by continuing to do what YOU need to do---making her feel safe and loved. I cried a lot, but I tried not to let Winnie see me. I wouldn't be honest if I didn't admit that I often looked at her and ached inside that my beautiful Queen was no longer whole, and that she struggled sometimes to do the things that had previously been effortless. But those were MY emotions, and she would have had no idea why I was so sad. There is no stigma in the animal world against dogs with 3 legs---like Dr. Couto says, they have 3 legs and a spare.

I probably sound like a broken record with this, but if you haven't already, look into starting her on artemisinin. You would have nothing to lose.

I know you can't PM because you don't have enough posts, but you can email me if you want, and I'm sure others here feel the same way. Please don't hesitate if we can help you in any way. You're not alone!

Get some sleep before you bring your precious girl home, and please let us know how she's doing.

Sending out prayers, and good thoughts, and white light for healing.

My email: catsburg@comcast.net

How old was Winnie when she had her surgery? Did you do chemo? What is artemisinin? Thanks.

We'll be thinking about you today, and so happy to hear your girl is coming home. It's good that you have the advice here to prepare you for what's to come. You will go great, I just know it. Your love for her will conquer your fears.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Guest Designsmom

Well, my Design is home. She was soooo happy to see us. She is doing very very well. I was so surprised. She can walk pretty well, lay down (that is harder) and the vet said she can squat to pee and poop. (We haven't seen her do that yet) Her eyes are bright and she just wanted to jump into the SUV like nobody's business. If you look at her from the right side, she looks perfect. The other side is another story. She is pretty swollen ( which I was ready for, thanks to all of you) and her underside is bright, bright red. She is an amazing pup. She greeted our cat when she came in she does not seem to be in pain. She still has the patch on which will be removed on Monday, stiches out next Tuesday. We need to put ice on the incision 3 times a day. She is not panting or restless....yet. I could not have gone through this without your support. Thanks so much.

Sending lots of hugs and prayers and hopes that the rest of her recovery is uneventful.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest HersheysMom
How old was Winnie when she had her surgery? Did you do chemo? What is artemisinin? Thanks.

Artemisinin is an herb (sweet wormwood) that has been used for decades, primarily as a treatment for malaria but there is lots of ancedotal eveidence of it being effective against cancer and many use it for this purpose. It seeks out iron in cancer cells and destroys them, while leaving the "good cells" unharmed.

Here is a link to an Artemisinin board I am a member of, and I'm sure you can find a better description of how it works and post questions and get them answered by some really knowledgeable folks. You'll want to look up info on dosing and cycling the herb (a few days or weeks on and then off) I joined because I use this for my Hershey who has Lymphoma. He was doing chemo but we had to stop for several weeks while his bone marrow recovers so right now he's only on Artemisinin. There are many many dogs with Osteo on this board.

Artemisinin Group

I'm very glad Design is doing well. God Bless. I lost my first grey to Osteo and I can sympathize.

Edited by HersheysMom

Just found and read this thread through, with tears in my eyes.

I'm so glad your girl went through the surgery and her homecoming so well! Now she's home, she'll feel so much better. Get some rest, and be ready to spoil that girl and treat her right! :wub:

:grouphug:

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Well, my Design is home. She was soooo happy to see us. She is doing very very well. I was so surprised. She can walk pretty well, lay down (that is harder) and the vet said she can squat to pee and poop. (We haven't seen her do that yet) Her eyes are bright and she just wanted to jump into the SUV like nobody's business. If you look at her from the right side, she looks perfect. The other side is another story. She is pretty swollen ( which I was ready for, thanks to all of you) and her underside is bright, bright red. She is an amazing pup. She greeted our cat when she came in she does not seem to be in pain. She still has the patch on which will be removed on Monday, stiches out next Tuesday. We need to put ice on the incision 3 times a day. She is not panting or restless....yet. I could not have gone through this without your support. Thanks so much.

We've been thinking about you and your girl.We are so happy she's home and doing well. Keep your chin up and kiss Design from us

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

I'm glad she's home and the surgery went well. You've all been through so much. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown