Strychnine Poisoning...

Guest LdiSaphire

Prayers continue for Dude. :hope

Do they have him on orthopedic foam or sheepskin? Either one should help him not develop more bed sores. My youngest son spent 65 days in the hospital and that is what we had for him, and no bed sores.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LdiSaphire
Do they have him on orthopedic foam or sheepskin? Either one should help him not develop more bed sores. My youngest son spent 65 days in the hospital and that is what we had for him, and no bed sores.

Unfortunately they don't...I asked them today about inserting a catheter because they have him on a pad that can be wiped down and then lots of blankets so they can just swap it all out when he pees....they don't want a catheter in because they said his body needs to take care of itself as much as possible....and the added stress of a catheter wouldn't be good for him right now....my poor baby... sigh...

Oh gosh ... I'm glad that the vet thinks he'll make it, that's great news! But so sorry you're going through all this.

Can you go to the pet store and get two or three pieces of veterinary bedding? It's like an artificial sheepskin but it allow liquids to pass through and will keep him dry, and also it's pressure reducing, and completely washable and machine dry-able. It's called VetBed over here, and you can either buy it on rolls or in shaped pads, rectangular or round.

Profleece VetBed

You could perhaps duct tape it to the plastic covered beds the vet has.

Sending major good thoughts and prayers for Dude! :hope :hope :hope

Another thought is to actually sew a pad of quilted cotton fabric into a tee shirt on each shoulder area so he can wear that?

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

:hope Sending prayers :hope

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Lots of prayers for your baby.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I hope Dude is improving today! Sending hugs for you because I know how hard the waiting and worrying must be for you. :grouphug

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

I hope that Dude is still showing improvement this morning. Sending many prayers for a full recovery.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest LdiSaphire
UPDATE: Just got off the phone with the clinic...they said Dude did ok last night...that he's looking a little better this morning and that they are going to actually try to go today without any diazepam...that's a huge step...of course he still isn't getting up or eating and drinking but I'll take ANY improvement right now....the tech said maybe my visit yesterday was a good thing...come on baby...momma wants you home!!!!

I just read this. I am so sorry you have had to go through so much. Prayers for Dude and your family.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Guest jettcricket
UPDATE: Just got off the phone with the clinic...they said Dude did ok last night...that he's looking a little better this morning and that they are going to actually try to go today without any diazepam...that's a huge step...of course he still isn't getting up or eating and drinking but I'll take ANY improvement right now....the tech said maybe my visit yesterday was a good thing...come on baby...momma wants you home!!!!

That's wonderful!!!!! :yay

The other thing you could do is go to Target or Big Lots, buy a memory foam bed pad, cut it up into dog-bed sized pieces (I do that for my dog's beds), slip it in a trash bag, put the vet's bed on top of it or with the vet fleece someone mentioned above. That way it would give him a gentle and padded place to sleep and still allow the vet's office a cleanable surface.

It makes a lot of sense to not catheter him, he could get an infection from that which is fairly common, and he needs his body to focus on fighting the strychnine.

Good healing thoughts to both of you. Please continue to keep us posted.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest LdiSaphire
UPDATE: As of now they still haven't had to give him any diazepam...and the tech said although he's still down, he is more alert and responsive....they want me to come up later to see if he'll try to get up with me there....he's a pretty lazy pupper normally..always has been...he takes his retirement seriously....lol...so they want to give him some incentive to attempt to get up....so fingers crossed and lots of prayers that I have more good news....