Brody Could Use Some Positive Thoughts

Guest BoomerMom

Guest argolola

I took bovine colostrum for years, and I have also given it to my animals. It comes in a powder form (or capsules that you open and use the powder.) I either mixed mine in apple juice (it was yummy) or for the animals I would sprinkle on their food or make a paste with water. My sick kitty, Zombie, loved it as a paste.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BoomerMom

Okay - help me understand this. Please note I am not a vet, nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn last night........ :rolleyes: Just a foster mom who learns from the net....

Isn't there some test they can do to prove it's staph? Why hasn't the vet mentioned it? I would assume that if y'all know about it, then they would and rule it out. What exactly is staph?

Anyway, the new antibiotics are helping our boy. Not only are his back feet looking better, he actually tried to play with a toy! Of course he had no clue what to do with it, but he really wanted to! Of course by the time I got the camera he had dropped it.

I'm not sure if the oatmeal water helped, but he did enjoy it. It did remove some of the dried gunk from his fur and made him smell better. I'm not exactly sure why bathing is forbidden. It seems to me that scratching would be a heck of a lot worse on his skin than a moisturing shampoo, conditioner and warm water bath.

Edit to add: He is currently on Doxy, Cefpodoxime, Cephalexin and Hydroxyine. In addition to all of that, I'm giving him Omega 3 caps and Prozime with meals. He is eating 1.5 cups of Canidae, one cup of frozen Biljac and half a can of Maxi-Cal per meal. Of course, he gets chicken jerky strips whenever I think he looks hungry....

Edited by BoomerMom

Staph is a bacterial infection, diagnosed by tissue culture and treated with antibiotics. Don't know which antibiotic is most effective for this, as some of these staph iinfections have become resistant to Tx (MRSA for instance). Glad to hear the feet swelling is going down and his appetite is good. Sending lots of :kiss2 's for his sweet little head. :)

Edited by iluvgreys

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

OK - I stayed at a Holiday Inn years ago so:

No test for staph that I know of. I suppose if he has a spot filled with pus they could culture it.

He is on a wide spectrum of antibiotics. I hope to heck you are giving him at least 6 acidolphillus pills a day!

Cefpodoxime is a cephalosporin antibiotic used to treat certain infections caused by bacteria such as pneumonia; bronchitis; gonorrhea; and ear, skin, throat, and urinary tract infections. Antibiotics will not work for colds, flu, or other viral infections

A single dose is given to treat gonorrhea.

(I just had to put the gonorrhea in there--at least you know he's clear of that!)

Hydroxyzine (IPA: [ha? 'dr?ks ? ?zin]) is a first-generation antihistamine, of the piperazine class that is an H1 receptor antagonist. It was synthesised in the early 1950s and the medicinal formulation of this drug was announced in the 04. August 1956 issue of Chemistry Week. It is used primarily as an antihistamine for the treatment of itches and irritations, an antiemetic for the reduction of nausea, as a weak analgesic by itself and as an opioid potentiator, and as an anxiolytic for the treatment of anxiety.

I'm guessing on the bath but perhaps so you don't spread whatever it is around the body. Since the new antibiotic is helping, I'd ask when you can do a bath.

Fish oil caps -- at least 6 a day.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Isn't there some test they can do to prove it's staph? Why hasn't the vet mentioned it? I would assume that if y'all know about it, then they would and rule it out. What exactly is staph?

They could culture it, but if they've decided that it's secondary to his larger problems, and it isn't mange or fungal, there may not be a lot of point just now in trying to work out exactly which bacteria (out of the common ones to infect skin) it is.

I'm not sure if the oatmeal water helped, but he did enjoy it. It did remove some of the dried gunk from his fur and made him smell better. I'm not exactly sure why bathing is forbidden. It seems to me that scratching would be a heck of a lot worse on his skin than a moisturing shampoo, conditioner and warm water bath.

I haven't been back to read the last update yet, but it sounds as though his immune system isn't up to full strength and he has a TBD? Bathing is a stressor for dogs, and stress lowers the immune system, so I would imagine that the vet wants to keep the stress as low as possible until he picks up a bit.

It's great to see him still hanging in there and feeling a little better - he picked up a toy! Awww .. bless him. :wub:

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Checking in to see how Brody is doing. Has the vet checked for allergies?? That could cause rash and swelling. :hope:hope:hope

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

Guest BoomerMom

Hello everyone!

Sorry I haven't updated for a couple of days - I've been in the middle of an audit at work. Brody is supposed to go back to the vet this afternoon to be rechecked and weighed. The new antibiotics have helped with with most of his skin but his shoulders were green and crusty this morning. He was scratching a bunch last night and it probably made it worse. I'm out of the hydroxyine but should get more tonight. My allergies are going nuts so I'll bet his are also.

The frozen BilJac is working out great - on Diane's suggestion, I've increased the fish oil caps and acidolphillus. The BilJac is soft and can be made into balls that are perfect for giving meds.

I took Carter, one of the Ft. Worth strays, in earlier this week to start his heartworm treatment. He will stay at the vet for a couple days and then move to another foster home. GALT has gotten in two more hounds with broken legs. One in really bad - broken in three places - and will need a place to be until another foster spot opens up. He will be having surgery today and I will probably be picking him up tomorrow.

The best news of all is that since it's been decided that Brody isn't contagious, Boomerang and Seth can come home!! :confetti They have been staying with Marty at CampLisa since I got Brody. Since we didn't know what all was wrong with him, I decided to play it safe and keep my boys separated from him. I haven't been woken up by a wet Seth nose in the ear for almost two weeks. :wub:

I let you all know how it goes at the vet.

Take care,

Kelly

Guest vahoundlover

Sounds like they are on the right track with treating Brody. Poor boy, his shoulders are green? :(:huh

Glad to hear YOUR pups can come home!!

Continue prayers for Brody, Carter and the 2 new broken leg babies...

Sure does look like staph. Glad he is eating :)

Ditto-

I started to sob when I saw the first pics, like he was one of my own :(

I am very glad he is eating---are you or is the treating vet open to any holistic supplements?? He would benefit from some bovine colostrum,

I am sure of it!

Continuued prayers for this "Brave Brody Brindle" :colgate

Lisa :heart

I'm not familiar with bovine colostrum for dogs. Are talking about calf manna? We used to feed it to the orphan calves, but never thought about it for dogs.

We have switched antibiotics and his feet are looking a little less swollen. Although I'm not supposed to give him a bath, I did put some oatmeal water on his really itchy places. He seemed to really enjoy it and I hope it helps. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears. The fungal test came back negative, so we don't really know what is going on. If it's not mange, not fungal, what else can it be?

Our boy did go after the toy I bought for DBF's puppy today. He really didn't know what to do with it after he got it, but it was still pretty cute. :wub:

I'll try to get more pics tomorrow.

Thanks for caring,

Kelly

Yes, the first milk or calf manna, SUPER LOADED with precious antibodies and nutrients that Brody could really use right now, available at

any health food store in gelcap form that you can pill him with, either by force(my way :P ) or by sprinkling the contents on his food, which my pups will turn their noses up at :rolleyes:

I really rely on this supplement for a wide variety of medical conditions, both for DH and myself, as well as all of our pups, past :( and present.

With my cancer kids, their immune suppressed systems really got a boost, making me think that Brody would flourish with this stuff alongside his traditional meds. :colgate

I will mail some to you if you do not have access to a health food store :nod:heart

Lisa

Guest BoomerMom
Yes, the first milk or calf manna, SUPER LOADED with precious antibodies and nutrients that Brody could really use right now, available at

any health food store in gelcap form that you can pill him with, either by force(my way :P ) or by sprinkling the contents on his food, which my pups will turn their noses up at :rolleyes:

I really rely on this supplement for a wide variety of medical conditions, both for DH and myself, as well as all of our pups, past :( and present.

With my cancer kids, their immune suppressed systems really got a boost, making me think that Brody would flourish with this stuff alongside his traditional meds. :colgate

I will mail some to you if you do not have access to a health food store :nod:heart

Lisa

I googled bovine colostrum and came up with an overwhelming amount of information. What brand name do you suggest I look at buying and what dosage do you give? I'm sure I can find it here and will definitely look into it.

Brody's vet visit went pretty well. Although his neck and shoulders aren't looking very good, Dr. S was pleased with the way he is healing in other areas. His muzzle is almost completely free of lesions and is healing. He has only gained a couple of pounds, but she said that he looked better and it would take some time before he really started packing on weight.

The fabulous news is I got the okay to give the baby boy a :bath !!!!! Woo Hoo!!! Although I couldn't get all of the crusty gunk off of his neck and shoulders, the rest of him got a pretty good cleaning. We were really gentle with him and he didn't seem to mind it. He's now curled up in his crate with warm towels and blankets.

Hug your hounds!

Kelly

Edit to add: Does anyone have a lightweight pair of jammies that they could donate to Brody? Well used is fine - I don't know if he will even wear them but would like to have a pair on hand when it starts getting really cold.

Thanks!

Edited by BoomerMom

Guest greytexplorer
I am glued to your Updates ,Kelly. What you are doing is so phenomenal. Brody is in my Heart and Prayers.

:hope:hope:hope:hope:kiss2:kiss2:grouphug:grouphug

DITTO from Alabama

and Kelly, good idea on the pj's. if he wore them all the time, would it help to protect his healing skin from scratching paws?

what kind of audit? engineering project audit or accounting audit? send update pics when you can!!

Guest BoomerMom

Brody Babe was better this morning. The bath and itching meds seemed to help. He slept pretty well and was more perky than yesterday.

I'll measure him when I go home at lunch. He's pretty long and tall, but is still only 50 lbs.

greytexplorer - I was wondering if it would help with the scratching will have to see what he does with them on. Do you all leave them crated when they are wearing their PJ's?

Tuesday was the annual worker's compensation insurance audit, a major pain in my rear. We have to pay the full premiums up front and then I get to review $4.5 million in payroll to try to get money refunded. Way too much fun...... :P

Guest BoomerMom
Can you post his length and chest measurements?

His chest is 28", from the base of his neck to his tail is 31" and his shoulder is 27" from the floor.

Thanks!