Jane's @ Home, Recovering (probable Stroke)

Guest VelvetEars

Guest Winterwish

Meredith I can't imagine being in your shoes and am so sorry you and Jane are in this position. She's in my thoughts and prayers each day for her recovery to the fullest extent possible,and am really glad she's coming back home to you very soon. :bighug:hope:hope

Edited by Winterwish

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest VelvetEars

Well, she's home! :)

When I got there, she was outside for a pee, standing on her own, and the vet said she'd actually WALKED (hobbled?) out there herself. The tops of her paws are scraped from knuckling under, and a lot of her is shaved (her belly, up her sides, the top of her head, parts of her front legs...) so she's not the prettiest anymore, but she's gorgeous just because she's still alive. I'll get some pictures of her maybe tomorrow.

She's lost weight - looks more like a grey now; she's always had a big build and wasn't fat, she just wasn't lean like a lot of them. (Probably why she never raced! She was built like a tank!)

She laid down the whole drive home, let DH carry her into the house, and is resting comfortably on a bed. Oh - and she snacked in the car - a plain cake donut (breakfast) and a plain cheeseburger (lunch), plus a hefty drink of water. She still has her appetite!!

We have the crate set up, because until she's a little more sure of herself and has some strength back, she's not going to be doing stairs. I can't sleep downstairs w/ her anymore - it's been killing my back - but i'm hopefully she'll be ok by herself in the crate. If not, well - maybe DH and I will have to take turns. We'll see. Right now, I'm going to try to get comfortable on the couch next to her and take a nap. Been a long day so far! And I still have to make up a chart for her pills --- SIX different kinds!! And of course all of them have different dosage requirements. Too much for me to remember w/o help!

And I gave the 2 vets (student vet and neurology resident) each a gift --- greyhound earrings and a greyhound keychain (both made by me), and thank you notes on greyhound cards. :) I figure they'll have something to remember her by!

More updates later - got to go snuggle w/ my girlie!

All fingers, toes, paws crossed that she continues to improve. So glad to hear she's home with you now.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest paulamariez

Poor little Janie! My thoughts and prayers are with her for a quick, full recovery. These things are so scary how they can just happen out of no where. Your hound can be fine one minute and seriously ill the next. I hope Jane gets better quick!

Guest Tenderhearts

Oh Meredith, I am so glad she is home with you! :clap :clap :clap

Continuing non-stop prayers for precious Jane! :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope

Wonderful that your girlie is home again. :yay Nothing like the TLC of being home that can help her heal on all levels. Keeping lots of light and prayers flowing to your Janie. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I'm so glad to hear that she's home! :thumbs-up Six different medications does sound like it calls for a chart!

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Very happy to read the good news. Continued prayers for a full recovery.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest VelvetEars

Getting ready for bed, and though there wouldn't be much of an update tonight, but as usual, she has to be difficult! She ate a good dinner (dry food!), took her pills, and drank like a champ. But that's not the good part.

I had been in the living room w/ her all afternoon - she wasn't too interested in trying to walk, although I did manage to get her to support her own weight while I walked her up the stairs foot by foot after an evening pee. She had walked with a lot of assistance to the stairs, and knew she was supposed to go up, but couldn't make her legs work, so I told her we'd just pretend she's a foster and teach her stairs again.

About an hour or two later, I went out the back for last pee with the other two, and then stopped in the bathroom for my last pee before going back to the living room to get her for her last pee. She wasn't on the bed on the floor in front of the couch. It took me a minute to believe what my eyes were seeing. She was ON THE COUCH! Don't ask me how she got up there, but she did. Her head was on the pillow, and she hadn't figured out how to slide her back legs down, so her butt was sticking up in the air. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I slid her back legs so she could lay down, and she promptly went to sleep.

I let her sleep for about 30 minutes before DH came down and we carried her out to pee, and then repeated the stair routine and walked her into the house this time. I figure each time, we'll take her a few more steps, and before long, she'll be walking on her own. At least, that's what I hope!

She's crated for tonight, and she didn't protest - I think she's probably exhausted. Can't say I blame her - it's been a really long day for her. I'm exhausted too!!

Thanks again to all of you for your prayers, good thoughts, and white light -- I think they're all making a difference!

Awwwwww... she's coming along so nicely. :) Love your updates. :D

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest vahoundlover
:yay FANTASTIC news!!! One of the things my vet told us, making/encouraging them to walk as normal as possible with our assistance, helps to remind them and learn once again they have a backend. I can't remember, is Jane going to get some acupuncture? Continued prayers coming your way.

Guest Tenderhearts

I got tears in my eyes when I read she had gotten up on the couch! What a spunky gal she is! :clap :clap :clap

Many more prayers and white light for continued healing! :hope:candle:hope:candle:hope

Guest VelvetEars

Haven't pursued the acupuncture route yet - i was considering that before i took her to Mizzou's vet school. It's not out of the question, but not top of mind right now.