Doc (Ctw Fort Sumpter) 11/4/1999 – 5/11/11

FountainLady

DOC (CTW Fort Sumpter) 11/4/1999 – 5/11/11

Our beautiful boy Doc went to the bridge on Wednesday May 11th, after a valiant battle with Osteosarcoma Cancer. His was a life that was cut short way too early - he just started to really live when he was taken away from us. He was a dog that not only belonged to us, but also to all the other people whose lives he touched along the way.

He was born at Clear The Way Kennels in Texas. Doc was a son of the famous Fortress, out of a Perceve daughter who was also a granddaughter of Dutch Bahama. He had royal breeding. Doc was a magnificent looking greyhound, with unlimited potential. He had a 9 race career at Wonderland, that was cut short by a career ending injury.

He spent the next five years of his life in the bowels of the Animal Medical Center in New York - as a captive blood donor dog. He was caged like a lab rat, living 24/7 in a cold stainless steel crate, with just enough room to turn around and lay down, he was forced to defecate and urinate in this small space. The way he was kept was cruel - he didn't see sunlight for over 5 years, and had nothing but lonely hours that stretched into lonely days, into months, and ultimately into many years. During these 5 years, he was no more than a piece of medical equipment warehoused to be used by the doctors. He was never allowed to play or socialize with the dozen other greyhounds also caged there, Doc had no toys, he had no individual attention. His only value to them was through his precious blood that would pulse through the veins of hundreds of other dogs, saving their lives.

fortie.jpg

The Photo of Doc that started it all

When Doc turned 8 – and was too old to be of use to the Animal Medical Center – they held a "retirement" party for him, and invited local school children. It was a public relations move, no doubt. They presented him with a red bandana and the children had made Doc a lovely quilt – (that came with him) when they turned over to Grateful Greyhounds – Finally he would have a chance at a life outside of a cage!

All the years of captivity had taken a toll on him. He had no muscle tone, had multiple corns on every foot – his feet were splayed out and deformed looking from years and years of standing on the metal grating that kept him out of his own excrement. He walked with a stride that did not resemble the proud carriage of how a greyhound should move. His eyes hurt when he went into sunlight.

But they were not able to break his spirit or his loving soul. Despite what people had done to him over all these years, he still wanted to be loved and he wanted to trust.

Grateful Greyhounds became his savior, and they found two very special ladies, Maureen and Laura to bring him into their home and be his foster moms. They showed him that he WAS loved, and they taught him how to live in a home. And he was a very happy boy! They put his picture up on their website and tried for several months to find him a forever home. But no one wanted to give this old boy a chance.

Pnn4vsjh.jpg

DOC with his Foster Moms - Maureen & Laura :wub:

It was a post looking for a home for him here on Greytalk that tugged at my heartstrings and compelled me to contact the adoption group and inquire about him. They had posted a photo of him in his AMC Bandana – and it took just ONE look at the photo and I knew that this was a photo of MY dog. It is hard to explain such things, but you just know ….

I received a call from Lisa Sallie from Grateful Greyhounds. She told me that the group doesn't do out of state adoptions, but was willing to talk to me. I put her on speaker phone so my husband Mike could join in on the discussion. She told us that Doc had corns on all his feet, and he was thunder phobic. He was also the size of a small horse – the big galoot was well over 90#. We understood he came with a bit of baggage, and by the time the conversation ended it was decided that they would make an exception for us, and Doc would come to live with us in Michigan.

Through the kindness of many people, and a thread on Greytalk we set up a GUR for him. He came to us on a February day in 2008, all the drivers who took turns on this GUR had to brave a snowstorm to get him to us.

P1260016.jpg

Doc's first night in his home - snuggled in the blanket the children made for him

Doc learned to be a member of the family in no time flat. Rainy accepted him as her new brother, and he learned fast by watching her. If you sit you get a treat. He learned his new name, and they soon bonded. He learned to "speak" shortly after we adopted him. For once in his life he found that people would listen to him, and that his opinion on things mattered. I would ask him he needed to go "out", he would bark a YES to me … do you want a cookie? YES he would bark. If he wanted or needed anything, he could come to us, and we would ask him questions until we hit the right one, then he would bark and let us know that is what he wanted us to do. He was so very smart.

He was without a doubt, the most vocal Greyhound I have ever met …. Once he learned that we listened to him, he would try to communicate with us on a very advanced level. You never had to wonder what was on Docs mind, he would let you know. If you rubbed his ears, he would moan with utter delight, having his own private "ear-gasm". He would settle into one of his beds with a contented "Harumph!", and wiggle and moan at how good it felt.

DocThanksgiving1.jpg

Doc the Defender ... watching the river

Doc loved living on the river, and he took having his own home as very serious business. He soon had the nickname of "Doc the Defender" as he proved to be a great watch dog, keeping rouge squirrels out of the yard, and chasing after boats and people on jet skis that dared go by the house too fast. He would run along the sea wall barking a warning at them - They were expected to go by slowly and respectfully, and not throw a wake. And heaven help any mouse that got into the house, this big galoot would watch for it, and hunt the mouse for days, until he caught it and took the vermin out.

LABORDAY09CORYS0411.jpg

Enjoying a boat ride with Rainy & his Aunt Debbie

Doc loved going for boat rides, and car rides. He was always ready to go and do things with us. We traveled a lot with him. He was a great meet and greet dog, and he even went along with Rainy a couple times doing Therapy dog things with her. Even though we never tried to certify him (we felt he deserved a real retirement), He enjoyed all sorts of events. The last event we took him to was last winter - when we went into a dorm at Central Michigan University for stress relief for the freshmen class during Mid-Term Finals. He thoroughly enjoyed having all those sweet young freshman girls fawning over him and loving him up. I think my husband was a bit jealous, He was holding the leash – but Doc was the one that got the attention.

CrystalSpeedway09039.jpg

Doc & Rainy at a meet and great event at the Crystal Motor Speedway

Doc had just the last three years of life with his own home and his own family. I know he left a lasting impression on everyone who met him. He never met a dog or kitty he didn't like, and when it came to people, Doc greeted everyone like they were his long lost friend. He had a bigger than life personality and a presence that filled a room. He was truly special, and we were so very lucky to be able to share our lives with him.

bedbuddies.jpg

Enjoying the life he so richly deserved!

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KennelMom
:( Captive blood donors hold a very special place in my heart. Thank you for giving Doc a wonderful life that he was cheated out of for far to long :grouphug

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Doc was indeed a very special guy. Godspeed sweet one.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

The first part of Doc's story broke my heart. How lucky he was to be adopted by you and to have a loving home in his last years. I'm so sorry you had to say good-bye and that you didn't

have many more years together.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest FullMetalFrank

What a magnificent boy he was; thank you for giving him the life he deserved. Looks like he got to do a lot of "making up for lost time" in those last three years. Godspeed, Doc... You are loved.

Guest BlueCrab

So, so sorry to hear about Doc. But thank you for the time you did give him. It looks like he truly made up for some lost time, living life to the fullest!

My heart aches for you, and for Doc's lost years. Thank you so much for giving him the life he deserved.

Godspeed, Doc.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh my, what a special, special boy. I'm so sorry for your loss :grouphug:f_white

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Oh my goodness what a story. :cry1 His story of being captive blood donor is on the verge of animal cruelty. Shame on them. Where is the justice?!

You gave him what he deserved and sorry you didn't have more time together.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

my God I had no idea they kept greyhounds like that. It should be BANNED. :( :(

I'm SO glad he had such a wonderful rest of his life with you. Sending hugs to you and your family.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest jettcricket

....reading his story as a captive blood donor brought tears to my eyes. What a very special boy he was....God speed sweet heart.

I am so sorry for your loss of Doc. Like many, his story broke my heart and yet I know that what he remembers are the years you gave him in a loving home. He definitely left too soon and so deserved a few more years.

Run free Doc, run free sweetie... :gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I am so very sorry for your loss. Truly that boy deserved more time, but what he got was so special and good.

The story makes me both mad and glad (that you adopted him). It is why I do not support blood donor programs and do not support in any way, shape,or form adoption groups who send greyhounds to blood donor programs...no matter how humane or short-term they might perceive them to be.

This is about Doc, however, and thank you for giving him such a good home.

Sympathy from another CTW mom. :f_red

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

I'm so sorry Doc couldn't stay longer in your very loving home. I'm so glad for his time with you, though. :grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest goofydog

:grouphug I'm sending lots of virtual hugs Cory. What a wonderful and touching tribute to your handsome Doc. Thank you for giving him a loving, caring and safe home. Godspeed Doc.:gh_run

I'm so sorry. :cry1:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Rest in peace, Doc. :gh_run2

:f_white

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.