• once/month or less
    • 2-3x/month
    • once/week
    • a couple times/week
    • about every other day
    • about once/day
    • about twice/day
    • more than twice/day
    • multiple dogs have VERY different barking habits (if close then average them and chose an answer above).

Once Ellie discovered her voice she fell in love with the sound! She mostly barks outside when she is trying to entice little brother to chase her.

Her usual method of communication is the whine. Like when mommy is spending too much time at the computer and she is ready for her walk!

Missing Ellie 08/1999-06/2011 and Rudy 02/2002-01/2016...and my siggy >:-/

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jamaica finally found her voice after a year. She barks for supper, to remind me to fill the water dishes, or to go out. She barks at the living room window -- I've yet to figure out what elicits that, as there's no one/thing out there when I look! :huh Today she barked to let me know she was trapped behind the baby gate in the living room. Maybe 4 - 6 times a week.

Tansi found her voice a lot faster. She barks when BIL or GF come upstairs to use the bathroom, when BIL is moving around getting ready for work, when he leaves for work, when he comes home .... She barks once or twice when she's playing with 'Maica, and sometimes when Scooter starts yapping. Maybe 12 times a day.

Neither bark at the doorbell. Tansi runs and hides, and Jamaica has to run and see who's there! Besides, Scooter makes enough noise for both of them! :lol

When it's a real reason to bark -- like a squirrel -- both girls are dead quiet! Guess they can't concentrate and bark at the same time. :blink:

Jamaica finally found her voice after a year. She barks for supper, to remind me to fill the water dishes, or to go out. She barks at the living room window -- I've yet to figure out what elicits that, as there's no one/thing out there when I look! :huh Today she barked to let me know she was trapped behind the baby gate in the living room. Maybe 4 - 6 times a week.

Tansi found her voice a lot faster. She barks when BIL or GF come upstairs to use the bathroom, when BIL is moving around getting ready for work, when he leaves for work, when he comes home .... She barks once or twice when she's playing with 'Maica, and sometimes when Scooter starts yapping. Maybe 12 times a day.

Neither bark at the doorbell. Tansi runs and hides, and Jamaica has to run and see who's there! Besides, Scooter makes enough noise for both of them! :lol

When it's a real reason to bark -- like a squirrel -- both girls are dead quiet! Guess they can't concentrate and bark at the same time. :blink:

Bacci barks when I come home from work, when the dog walker comes to the house, or when he wants to play. If I don't get his more subtle hints (whining and staring at the back door), Bacci will bark when he wants to go out. He is silent when strangers come to the door.

Tiffany barks when she wants to play or when there are squirrels or kitties in the backyard. Occasionally Tiff barks at dogs walking by the house. She doesn't make a peep when strangers come to the door.

What greyt guard dogs I have. :lol

Almost never. In the not-quite-two years since we've adopted Naples, I think I can count on one hand how many times we've heard her bark.

Gunnar is similar, though he does bark *a bit* more often. He thinks he's a guard dog, so every once in a while he has to remind us that he can, indeed make noise!

But then, if Gunnar barks, Naples usually does too. :lol It's more of a "Woof? What are we barking at? Woof Woof Woof???"

Edited by Naples-n-Gunnar

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Dasher usually barks at strangers walking by outside (that's when he's awake enough to notice). One time, he barked because I was asleep on the couch, taking up all the space, and he couldn't get on.

Mine bark a lot. I blame Angel for starting it all. They bark when they are outside and someone comes. They bark if SM has to poop (he starts it, of course). They bark at the dog on the other side of the fence (he starts it), they bark at me if they want to play...bark bark bark. But they stop when you tell them to, so I guess that's something. I figure it's payback for the 8+years we had Joe - who only barked a handful of times in all those years.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

Guest dustyjil

I'm posting at 12:57 AM because RAndall had another barking/rooing fit. He barks at a variety of things. Only after the dog next door demonstrated his barking prowess!

Jil, our bridge hound, barked a handful of times in the 10 years we had her. Once when a drunken teenager thought our house was hers she barked up a storm! As soon as DH got out of bed to investigate she was glued behind him. She was still barking fiercely, but using him as a shield! It was a hoot!

Duke barks when he gets frustrated that I don't give him his treat right away, when he's trying to get me to play, when we are on our way out for walks, when he is in the other room and can't get to us for an extended period of time and when he feels he's waited long enough for his food to soak.

Other than this, he's quiet as a mouse except for when he roos and talks to us.

Quiet he is not but he's not disruptive, just punctuative.

We live on a corner so when Gidge is out, she barks. It's just loveeerrrrrrlllllllly when school lets out.

Freddie will let lose with an occasional rusty bark now and then. Sometimes when he is at the back door I can get him to bark at me. We bark at each other a couple of times. He goes backwards each time he barks. Mr. Goofball.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

In my experience either in the home or kennel environment a greyhound will bark for the following reasons....

They get excited and want to play......

They need letting out for a call of nature or just a breath of fresh air.......

They are due foodstuff and they feel you have forgotten.......

Keeping on top of these three issues will for the most part stop dogs barking and lead to them having happy contented lives,although I quickly concede that there are greys who

will still bark the place down no matter what you do .........lol..... Merry Christmas

Guest GreyStaatsmann

Chloe has a "Let's Play" kinda bark, then motions head up

and down. Then there's the "UPS man's at the door!"

kinda bark -growl-roo. Ears up Tail up. Heck. All she wants

is to be petted and stroked.

I forgot to add that Angel will bark in the middle of the night when someone touches her. I mean BARK BARK BARK. and they sleep in our bedroom! Thank God for sleeping pills! :lol

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

Guest lillysmum

Lilly isn't a 'barker' as such, but she does bark.

She won't bark at things Ruby does - like ppl walking in our street - whereas Ruby barks any time someone's walking along.

Lilly barks when we come home - it's what we call a "Happy Yelp" - she's just letting us know she's happy we're home again. She also barks when playing outside, and if she spots a cat/bird in the yard, she barks/yelps at that too.

I certainly wouldn't think of Lilly as a watch-dog, in fact, I think she would remain quiet when strangers approach if we're not home, as that is what she's like when we're there.

Besides, Ruby is the watch-dog in the family! B)

Guest greycious_gal

I would like to know where these no-bark dogs are! :lol How in the world do you get one? Perhaps you can't have a barking beagle TEACHER in the mix????? :P:lol

Got the dog bark translator "Bow lingual" for Xmas. I gotta say that it was really interesting. Blitzen was barking at Simone because she was laying in the middle of living room. The translation was fearful with the words "Don't hurt me". We always thought that the bark was saying "move out of my way, now".

When we mentioned Car ride, the translation was what you would expect, "lets go, go, go". Waiting and barking for his treat got a frustrating "enough is enough".

Very entertaining when you have phrases that you think they are saying and then see what the translator says they are saying.

tn_Simone_sClosetSig.jpg

Guest daberle

Annabelle only barks when shes playing with the other greyhound next door, but she doesn't bark at the dog park. She maybe barks 1-2 times a week while playing.

Guest DutchGrey

Of course Vasco is a barker. Nothing in all the books apply to him. :) He barks at dogs he sees on the street, he barks when he sees a cat outside. Big birds are greyt fun to bark at, and of course when he wants something or feels like playing he'll bark at us or Delfina.

Delfina doesn't bark. She will do it something of a bark (but it sounds more like a muffled "wrrrff!") when she sees a dog she's afraid of, and when we just got her she would bark when she heard a strange noise, but other than that, never.

Once, my upstairs neighbour asked me if the dogs were even capable of barking because they never heard them. Oh, how close I came to saying: "yes, they bark, but you don't hear it because you yell so loud at your GF all day long!!!" :angryfire Ah well, I was raised to be nice girl. :)

Guest solomon

Tootie will bark when we leave for the store. She'll run into the back yard, and bark, bark, bark.

She'll also bark when we first come home from being out and wants to play. When we first brought her home, she would bark at airplanes and all sorts of stuff in the middle of the night~ but she has setteled down now.

She'll still sometimes bark at the cat, but only when she wan't to play with/eat the cat. The cat never plays, just looks at Tootie like "are you crazy?"