Gnaw-resistant leash

We have a 9-month old whippet who gnaws on anything and everything. Her current favorite chew toy is her leash. Before she destroys it, I am looking to replace it with a leash that may be more gnaw-resistant than her current webbed one. She is 26 pounds and we are using a 5/8 wide leash. Bonus points for traffic handle, lobster clasp, and adjustable wrist loop. I realize this is the unicorn of leashes but it doesn’t hurt to ask!  Thanks. 

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

The leash that immediately came to my mind was the one I had for Fletcher made from the ropes climbers use. It was very tough, and I see some like it listed on Amazon. Might be overkill for a 26 lb dog :lol but even if she chews on it, the leash should hold together. I would send you my old one if I hadn’t already given it away.

Are you trying to stop her from grabbing it on walks?  Or just from chewing it in general, like, when it's just hanging around?

My thought is to try the rope leash, but I might also think about covering the lower portion of the leash with...  tinfoil?  An old piece of garden hose?  A cloth cover made of strong canvas (or ideally firehouse material?  Or spray it with Bitter Yuck or Bacteen.? 

Mostly it's a training issue, I think.  ;)  Carry a small squirt bottle on walks for a few days.  Clicker training and Leave It for the Little Miss Faithless, too!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We have these for the siblings (total overkill for them) and I love the twist-open carabiner, reflective stripes, and padded (non-adjustable) handle. There are some negative reviews about the handle stitching, but we have not experienced any issues. My only complaint is that it's 5 feet, not 6.

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

thanks for the suggestions!  Clearly, we have a training issue and are working our way through them.  I have been told that even for a whippet, she is super high energy and is fast.  Yay me LOL.  She chomps on it when we are getting everyone leashed up to walk.  She chomps on it if we see a neighbor or stop on the side of the road for a vehicle to pass.  If she can, she chomps on her harness.  Heck, she chomps on dumb bells in our house - not neoprene coated either!  On a positive note, her teeth are nice and white haha.  I realize (hope) that this behavior will extinguish over time but my last whippet was still going after his leash at 15.  But in the meantime, I need to get something that isn't missing chunks.  I have Bitter Yuck that will be applied today.  It has been quite a while since I have had such a young pup.  

Pray for me!  :rotfl  But she is a very welcome distraction from the chaos that has been ruling my life as of late.  

She looks so innocent though!  Especially if you ignore the fact that she is everywhere that she really should NOT be.  :lol:

427462467_7548143421885818_1992028696228

426176278_7548143315219162_4724879296707

• Like 1

Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

She is certainly surviving on her looks alone!  :rofl  

She starts digging a hole at the base of a tree.  I fill in the hole and cover it with a big rock.  She goes where the rock was (the ground is wet under it) and digs there.  I cover fill and cover THAT hole.  She digs next to it.  I cover that.  Put a fence around her newest digging area.  She digs up the fence.  SMDH  It is too winter still to create a sandbox for her but I would bet anything she won't touch it.  Oh, and she eats the dirt.  :youcrazy 

But, my replacement :lol glasses are due to arrive Tuesday!  They used to be in the middle of our dining table with all chairs pushed in.  Still do not know how she got up there.  She is supposed to be handicapped :blink:

Never a dull moment in our house!  She is a super snuggler though.  Would prefer that she not drape her body across my throat at 2:00 a.m.  Not sure if it is love or a murder attempt.  :rotfl 

• Haha 4

You think you're going to outwit meee? Bwahhhhhaaaaa

426176278_7548143315219162_4724879296707

Faith! :lol She is awesome (from here :rofl ). I'm so glad she is providing that much-needed/deserved distraction.

I'm thinking maybe a piece or a few pieces of small diameter PVC pipe on her leash?

• Haha 1

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

David just found flatware in our yard!  We do not even know where she got it - raiding the dishwasher?  :rofl  Life will never be dull from here on out.  Our knives may be if she decides to drag them through the dirt though.  SMH

• Haha 2

:rofl I wonder what else you haven't yet realized is missing :rofl

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Maybe one that is not under a year!  I got my last one as an adult and he was delightful.  Could still jump over baby gates though.  

Cindy, you really need to start a Faith-fool blog, or keep a "Dear Diary, today Faith...", or at least keep a list on the refrigerator in a locking notebook in a safe hidden behind a painting on the wall.

Cindy: Remember when we had a full set of flatware?
David: Remember when you encouraged me to take a physics class to study Dirt Displacement Theory?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

:rofl I wonder what else you haven't yet realized is missing :rofl

:lol 

I was thinking about a Whippet since greyhounds are too big for me now. Thanks for the warning :rofl

:lol 

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

My sanity is missing but I knew that quite a while ago!  I ended up wrapping her leash in reinforced duct tape and sprayed it with Bitter Yuck.  Clearly that taste does not hang around long.  She goes after the leash when she is super excited (like when leashing up for a walk) or bored (waiting to cross the street or saying hello to a neighbor).  I was leaving the house to walk all three when an adjuster arrived (a huge tree limb decided to greet the side of our house during a storm) and she spent the entire time going after her leash.  Once we got walking, she was fine.  Lots of energy in this one and the outlets are always fast enough!  As they say, time and patience.  Patience and time.  

She cannot have any play dates with others her own size as she had a URI and we are being super cautious that it isn't kennel cough.  Results were mixed as she had gotten the vaccine when we first got her.  Once her quarantine is up, we will get her into basic obedience to tire her little brain out.  She is actively trying to get the boys to play with her and they are not interested lol.  Angus will start chasing her outside but it is so loud and fast that I cannot tell if it is playtime or lunchtime and we break that up. 

She will eventually get a new leash and I appreciate the insight!  The mountain rope leashes will be the way to go but I do not see the need to invest $$ until we have better control.  Her current one is still very strong and fine to use, according to our vet.   

I think the reason she was named Faith was a reminder for those who interact with her that one day she will relax a smidge or two.  We are just chalking up the missing pillow corners and edges of drawer handles as one of the oldest decorating styles ever - puppy.  

Thanks for the help!  Now we can say that we did do the "puppy thing" and I am much happier starting at 15 months haha.  Only 6 more months to go!  

• Haha 3