Bug Repellant for Mosquitos

As I said in another thread, the mosquitos here are the size of cockroaches and travel in enormous swarms. So far, for the campers I've used two natural products that help *some*, Wondercide and Frenchies, but there is a lot of room for improvement. This Sawyer Permethrin for Dogs has been repeatedly recommended and I do like that it's supposedly the synthetic version of Pyrethrum, but I just don't know. Has anyone used it or aware of any known side effects in our greys? The girls are on monthly Heartgard and Nexgard year 'round. Thank you for any thoughts.

This from the manufacturer:

Protect your pup with Sawyer Products Premium Permethrin Insect Repellent Treatment for Dogs. Permethrin for Dogs aids in control of ticks up to 6 weeks. Sawyer Permethrin also controls fleas and lice for up to 35 days on dogs. This odorless treatment repels and kills ticks which can carry Lyme Disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. It does not harm any fabrics or finishes and can be used to treat seat covers, dog beds, kennels, and other fabrics.

• Won't stain or damage clothing, fabrics, plastics, finished surfaces, or outdoor gear
  • Permethrin spray bonds to hair fibers for up to 6 weeks and controls fleas and lice for up to 35 days
  • Synthetic version of Pyrethrum (naturally derived from chrysanthemum flower), repellent has been treating uniforms for the U.S. and Canadian militaries for almost 30 years.
  • Odorless After Drying

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Ducky, thanks. We’ve already made a Bucket O Doom using mosquito dunk and I think it’s helping. I need something tho to protect the campers on our daily walks. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

OFF has a clip on fan that will keep them away for up to 12 hours.  Not sure if it would work for walks or if you would want that much exposure to the dogs.  It did work in the yard for extended recovery night walks we were less than 3 feet apart.

I've heard of using catnip to help repel mosquitoes, but then you might get some cats following you around! (my gang were never big on the 'nip, celery leaves, stinky shoes, and Gold Bond were the faves)

I believe in Country of the Pointed Firs (set in Maine!) they used a concoction of pennyroyal, but that can be toxic.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

2 hours ago, 1Moregrey said:

OFF has a clip on fan that will keep them away for up to 12 hours.  Not sure if it would work for walks or if you would want that much exposure to the dogs.  It did work in the yard for extended recovery night walks we were less than 3 feet apart.

We used these to attend greyhound events and clipped them under our camping chairs. They did seem to work but I'm not so sure they would work for dogs on the move. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I seem to remember a thread years ago where someone had the yard treated with permethrin and either lost or almost lost their greyhound due to a reaction after the dog spent time in the yard. I can't recall who it was. 

Given the other two monthly meds, I would probably call your vet and make sure there is no interaction between those meds and the product you are looking at. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Lemon eucalyptus oil is the only natural repellant that has been proven to work.  I've had good luck with this -  https://www.cutterinsectrepellents.com/products/personal-repellents/cutter-alternative-solutions/lemon-eucalyptus.aspx

I think for the hounds I'd probably spray a lot on a bandana or something like a cape (Super Hound!) and they could wear that for walkies or out in the yard.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

MOSQUITO YARD SPRAY
Big Bottle Blue Cheap Mouthwash
3 C. Epsom Salt
3 12 oz cans/bottles (stale / cheap) beer
Mix the 3 ingredients together until Epsom Salt is disolved.
Spray anywhere you sit outside, around pools, decks, etc..
Will not harm plants, flowers, as a matter of fact magnesium in
epsom salt is a plus!
Will totally repel mosquitoes from the area for approx. 80 days. even after rain
Heard on Paul Harvey, has worked for author for 15 years
Reputed to have a nice minty smell.

On 6/20/2023 at 8:04 PM, FiveRoooooers said:

Ducky, thanks. We’ve already made a Bucket O Doom using mosquito dunk and I think it’s helping. I need something tho to protect the campers on our daily walks. 

Jan, no one sells black buckets locally so I'll have to order them.  Did you go with the option for a screw on lid or pry off lid?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

3 hours ago, macoduck said:

Jan, no one sells black buckets locally so I'll have to order them.  Did you go with the option for a screw on lid or pry off lid?

I just did a DIY bucket similar to this. No lid required. The stick is essential (sigh).

Great article! Thank you Jan!

tiny hada siggy.png

• 2 weeks later...

Jan, I have deployed 3 Buckets of Doom. I used the orange Home Depot ones but spray painted over there name. Ya know, just in case the lady mosquittets have a preference for Lowes  instead.

tiny hada siggy.png

Ducky, :lol :goodluck Keep us posted!

1 hour ago, FiveRoooooers said:

On day 2 of Buckets of Doom I did not get mosquito bit when I went out to scoop poop. No breeze. Could it possibly have happened that fast?

tiny hada siggy.png

7 minutes ago, macoduck said:

On day 2 of Buckets of Doom I did not get mosquito bit when I went out to scoop poop. No breeze. Could it possibly have happened that fast?

Yep! :yay

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/14/2023 at 7:26 AM, FiveRoooooers said:

Not quite a month since the Buckets of Doom were deployed. Jan, when you change yours out has the dunk disintegrated? The water in mine is too dark and mucky to tell. I have enough dunks left to reload with refresh cut grass and water. Just wondering if I can keep using the first dunks.

tiny hada siggy.png

24 minutes ago, macoduck said:

Not quite a month since the Buckets of Doom were deployed. Jan, when you change yours out has the dunk disintegrated? The water in mine is too dark and mucky to tell. I have enough dunks left to reload with refresh cut grass and water. Just wondering if I can keep using the first dunks.

The water in ours is dark and mucky too, but the dunk disc is in a mesh bag that's attached to a stick, easy peasy to retrieve it for refill. Most of the dunk has disintegrated but if there is any left I would reuse it. 

How is the mosquito population there since setting up the buckets?

How is the mosquito population there since setting up the buckets?

Certainly less of them than usual. However, my neighbor has buckets just sitting outside full of rainwater <_< I don't see him often and there's a language issue so :angry:

tiny hada siggy.png

Jan, no mosquito dunks left in the buckets and it's been nearly 4 weeks since I put them out. Marking my calendar to do the change out every 3 weeks.

tiny hada siggy.png

• 2 weeks later...

Doug Tallamy founded Homegrown National Park a few years ago. I recently contacted him about letting our front field/lawn go wild and adding flowers, trees, etc to help the pollinators and birds. He just gave a presentation hosted by one of the local Land Trusts and the question came up about mosquitos. He is a firm believer in the power of Mosquito Dunk. :thumbs-up

Worked for mosquito control in MD for 37 years - Mosquito Dunks DO work on most mosquitoes, not so well on Culex mosquitoes (the vector of West Nile virus) - but they're very good for Asian tiger mosquitoes!

Just NEVER use permethrin anywhere near cats!!

Jeannine with Lili & Okie, the kitty sisters and Cody grey-girl waiting at the bridge (along with kitties Weenie & Merlin)

2 hours ago, ozgirl said:

Worked for mosquito control in MD for 37 years - Mosquito Dunks DO work on most mosquitoes, not so well on Culex mosquitoes (the vector of West Nile virus) - but they're very good for Asian tiger mosquitoes!

Just NEVER use permethrin anywhere near cats!!

Thanks J! The dunk does seem to help some around the yard. I’m still looking for something safe and effective for the dogs. Sawyer’s permethrin formula for dogs keeps popping up but I’m not yet convinced that it’s safe for the seniors. 

• 1 month later...