New UK Royal Mint commemorative coin, featuring a golden greyhound

Just released by the UK's Royal Mint - a commemorative coin featuring all the Queen's Beasts, shown below in a rather monstrous 10-kilo gold version. That's already sold, but smaller versions can be had.

3000.jpg?width=445&quality=45&auto=forma

More details in this article from today's Guardian. I've always been very fond of the Queen's Beasts, a set of sculptures designed by James Woodford to stand outside Westminster Abbey at Elisabeth II's coronation in 1953. The originals are in Canada, but there are sets at Hampton Court and Kew - view of the Greyhound of York at Kew below.

Path_to_the_Palm_House,_Kew_Gardens_-_ge 

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Hmm, does it come in chocolate? :hehe

And Kew is awesome. 

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

It's reckoned the one off 10kg one sold for £700,000. That's a lot of chocolate

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I looked on Ebay last nite, the silver version of the greyhound coin was going for about $80, and the 5 quid coin was about $30? Looks very nice.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

The plaster one that's now in Canada is super goofy. Check out the Wikipedia article. :hehe

The Kew greyhound I'd say looks rather like Popeye, in that photo - it's partly the angle, showing off his big chest.  I remember taking a front-on snap of his twin at Hampton Court together with Doc, both managing to look quite dignified!  They're very 1950s, I agree they look a bit cartoonish now but really rather endearing.  

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.