Greyhound Eyes

Hi Everyone, 

I am new to the whole greyhound ownership.. Slowly but surely working out all their sensitive traits. So far it's been an enjoyable experience, can see how the greyhound addiction starts. 

I have a black ex racing male, I have noticed he has a small amount of "gunk", sometimes dry in the inside corner of the eyes. Other than this his eyes don't seem to be swollen/really red. I have also noticed at times a small part of the third eyelid will show (I thought this shouldn't happen unless asleep). I have attached a photo of this eyelid but doesn't do much justice. 

Can anyone shed some light or previous experience on this. Be good to know if this is just "normal".

Thanks

IMG_20210319_181714.thumb.jpg.7b3181d72b913ea3ab21dd38220da7f9.jpg

Yep, totally normal. I think you see more of the third eyelid when they are tired. And I wipe crusty gunk from the corners of his eyes almost every day. As long as it’s not yellow which might indicate an infection it’s fine.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Dark/brown discharge isn’t always concerning, however, green/yellow/white discharge is.  I would send your vet a few photos to have them assess.  Greyhounds can have allergies, panus etc...best to have your vet take a peek.  Eyes should always be looked at by a professional. 

This reminds me a bit of ‘cherry eye’. I wonder if that eyelid isn’t irritating his eye and causing the discharge.  Best consult your vet.  Your boy might be uncomfortable.  

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Is it dusty where he's been exercising or is the pollen count starting to rise where you are?

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

You could try a saline eye wash if it’s irritation from allergies or debris.  

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated. I ended up going to the vets, they said the right eye in particular was inflamed. I was given drops for 5 days. Redness has now reduced. 

The vet didn't mention the third eyelids, I am a little concerned still as they are just visible in the corners of both eyes. I haven't found much on the Web referring to this as normal.. Other than the few replies.

Anybody have any photos with the same issue/trait? 

I'm a natural worrier, probably stressing about nothing 😂

• 4 weeks later...

Re: gunk our boy Charlie often had gunk in his left eye. Trial and error made us conclude that it was the side he lay down on and it got worse if his bed needed washed (as I write this aware we sound like slobs!).