safe overnight heating pad for my greyhound

Our greyhound is too cold at night.  We have large soft round beds and blankets all over the house, and one room where the heating vents are wide open making it the warmest in the house, but she is still too cold.  We set the heat at 65 at night.  Other than increasing the temperature on our heater, can we use a safe pet designed heated pad or blanket for her?  Not only is she, like all greyhounds, without a heavy coat or much subcutaneous fat, she has the bald haunches.  We love her so much.  I would have her sleep in our bed, but she has arthritis and can't get up.  But not sure my husband of 40 years would want to share the bed :-)  

Silly suggestion maybe, but you haven’t mentioned if your houndie has a coat. A thick one with a snood attached might be the thing if you haven’t. There are also cave-type beds you can get that she can burrow into, since whatever blankets you have may fall off her during the night. Both options are probably safer than a heater or heated blanket.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Several companies make heating pads designed for pets (human heating pads get too hot), most of the major online companies, Chewy, Amazon, and so on carry them. I had a couple for my cats, who loved them, and got one for one of my dogs that was cold at night and didn’t like to be covered. I have to say, either he didn’t like it or it didn’t help, because it wasn’t the success that the heating pads were for the cats. Perhaps your girl would wear pajamas, lots of people’s dogs do in the winter. 
Fletcher refused to wear pjs as well, I just ended up turning up the heat for him :rolleyes:

Houndtime.com makes flannel house coats that our dogs have worn during the winter and on cold rainy days. They tend to sleep much better with the flannel coats as it keeps them warmer without getting too hot.  The owner of Houndtime is a member here as well.  Instructions for measuring are on their website. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Wish it was larger, but this is a good option. I have used the cat size for the two strays we feed for several winters now. It stays on our front porch plugged in all the time, and we have had no issues. It is low wattage and doesn't get warm unless there is an animal on it, so I don't worry about safety at all. And the cats are huge fans. 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

27 minutes ago, Kathy02 said:

We have one of these self-warming blankets that we leave out. It basically reflects body heat; when it's cold at night, Zula will get on and off the blanket as she gets too cold/hot.

As others have said, putting some clothing on your hound may work as well!

I wish this had been available when Fletcher was here. It looks like something HRH might have used. 

If she's not a chewer, how about an electric blanket. Those don't get as hot as a heating pad.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

My dogs love our electric throws from Costco (and they're currently on sale). Otherwise I throw blankets down and they nest. But they're actual solution is to sleep in bed with me, lol.

We used to do PJs, but Violet doesn't like them like my previous greyhounds did.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

our bedrooms are 51-6 at night!

fleece p.j. w/ legs, polar fleece blankets to nest in- a bed w/ sides is helpful. if you can run into an old down blanket- they are really the best for keeping body heat in. but for really  keeping the warmth in a crate w/ a heavy blanket on it, thick crate mat or bed again w/ bumpers and old warm fleece blankets. felix had a down mattress topper in his crate- he loved it- never came out and was toasty warm. i also used that mattress topper(twin size) as a bed itself. i used to wash it at the laundromat 2xs a year. i did have a zipper cover for protection on it.